MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3rd year math courses?? e-norman Academics 1 05-18-2010 12:20 PM
First Year Math Exam Help Mowicz First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 99 12-25-2009 11:39 PM
preparing for first year math adamg6 Academics 4 06-21-2008 05:08 PM

First year Math Help

Old 04-13-2011 at 12:16 PM   #1
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

First year Math Help
Hi everyone,

If you don't know me, my name's Mike and I'm a TA for Math 2XX3 (Vector Calculus II for Math Majors).

Recently I've started getting an unbelievably large number of emails asking for private tutoring sessions (some from fellow macinsiders members)...more than I can accomodate! So what I've started doing is holding 'office hour' style group tutoring sessions.

Essentially I make an appointment with a group of 5 or more students and they come and ask me questions about any first year material. I don't ask for payment, but given that's the case, I generally don't prepare for such sessions, and hence ask for understanding if I can't answer a specific question or two on the fly.
I've done this in the past, an a few times I've showed up and sat there bored for the entire time, so all I ask is that people do take advantage, or I may cancel them since just like you, I've also got deadlines coming.

So why does that interest you? Essentially, if there's enough demand then I'd like to hold an office hour or two exclusively for first year macinsiders members. I should be comfortable enough with any first year math course to answer questions on the fly, which will translate into better understanding of course material, and hopefully higher grades on your finals.

----------------------

So the take home point: I am willing to offer free group tutoring to macinsiders members taking any first year math** courses for an hour or two during exams if there's enough demand for it. Let me know, either by posting here or by PM if you'd like to take advantage of this.

(**Essentially, this means any first year calculus, or linear algebra course.)

I'm thinking of doing this on Friday April 15th, during the morning/lunchtime. But I haven't looked at the exam schedules yet, so I'd like to know if people will take advantage.
Old 04-13-2011 at 12:25 PM   #2
YasirHasan

Liked: 4 Times

Can you do 2ZZ3 too lol?
Old 04-13-2011 at 01:07 PM   #3
haidarzn

Liked: 0 Times

Hey can you please tutor me and a few other students on Monday April 18h for Math 1f03?
Old 04-13-2011 at 03:02 PM   #4
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Hey Mike, could you help with 2XX3 by any ch- hey, wait a minute...

Mowicz likes this.