MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Putting H1N1 Into Perspective Taunton General Discussion 23 11-06-2009 11:14 PM
TA's are not legally REQUIRED to strike samikas General Discussion 52 11-03-2009 06:18 PM
Coming to Mac: My Perspective rlevitin General Discussion 13 07-31-2007 09:21 AM
First Year Experience Series Part Eleven: Ron Chad First Year Experiences 0 07-27-2007 07:49 PM

First year Math - A TA's Perspective

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:02 PM   #61
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Haha, we're still talking about them today, so in a weird way, they DID survive .

Also, I hope you guys know that we're talking about today's math not Roman numerals
*replace "weird" with "historical"*

hehe

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:04 PM   #62
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I x V = V
I x V = V

That's how I got it anyway
x= times
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:04 PM   #63
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
*replace "weird" with "historical"*

hehe
same thing
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:05 PM   #64
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post

You tell me :p
Clearly when I say "Two "I"s" it refers to the addition of two "I"s which make "II". XD

And two "V"s make up an "X". I wasn't kidding when I said it was logical. (An X is an upright V and an upside down V put together.) XD

Lol, yeah that's right, I took the only logical part of the Roman numerals since everything else is illogical
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:09 PM   #65
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Clearly when I say "Two "I"s" it refers to the addition of two "I"s which make "II". XD

And two "V"s make up an "X". I wasn't kidding when I said it was logical. (An X is an upright V and an upside down V put together.) XD

Lol, yeah that's right, I took the only logical part of the Roman numerals since everything else is illogical
Haha, if only Mowicz could see what you turned his thread into XD. Roman numerals look fancy.. I think that's the only reason why people use it today.. definitely not for any of these calculations haha.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:13 PM   #66
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Hahaha blasphemy!

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:26 PM   #67
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Actually, addition and subtraction in Roman Numerals is a dream come true compared to the hindu-arabic system, so long as you remember the order of the letters:

In Roman: (Remember: C means 100, M means 1000)
(1) CMLXXXII - CLVI
(2) = CCMXXXI - V ("Add" a C, because C comes before M, remove L,I since they are in their proper (decreasing) order...leave V alone because it doesn't appear in the expression)
(3) = CCMXX(VV)II - V ("Break" X into VV)
(4) = CCMXXVI (Remove V since it's in its proper order)

In Hindu-Arabic:
(1) 982 - 156
(2) = 982 - 100 - 50 - 6 (Group things in base 10)
(3) = ((972 + 10) - 6) - 100 - 50 ("Borrow" a 10)
(4) = (972 + 4) - 100 - 50
(5) = 976 - 100 - 50
(6) = 926 - 100
(7) = 826

^^Of course I wrote things down to death, but this is actually what you're doing every time you subtract (addition is similar, but with 'stacking' 10s). The Roman system is just about adding and removing letters...seems more mindless to me.

Multiplication and division sure, those get nasty in Roman...but they didn't need these back in the day.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:27 PM   #68
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

... I can't figure out which one is easier to understand....
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:30 PM   #69
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellye View Post
... I can't figure out which one is easier to understand....
Haha, I second that XD
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:31 PM   #70
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

I'm so confused... I think my brain just exploded.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:32 PM   #71
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

It's hard to understand the Roman one but only because you haven't practiced it to death like the hindu arabic system (I mean you've presumably been using it what, 15, 18 years now? It's second nature).

But when you talk about complexity, as a computer science term, if you get longer and longer expressions in H-A arithmetic, it takes longer and longer for the computer to solve them. This is also true about Roman arithmetic, but the time it takes doesn't grow as quickly, because there are fewer steps to reach the solution.

If I gave you practice problems, I bet you'd like the Roman system better :p I do, and it's not because I crave being different xD It's just elegant (for addition and subtraction only)

What I mean is, you know how you 'forget to carry the 1' or something in our traditional arithmetic? That never happens in Roman, because you essentially 'cancel' letters on both sides of the minus sign.

EDIT: I should also note that this is only addition/subtraction over the natural numbers. No zeroes, decimals or negative numbers (because these also weren't relevant back in Roman times...lol)

Last edited by Mowicz : 08-26-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:35 PM   #72
mellye
Elite Member

Liked: 29 Times

Looking at it more closely, I think the whole borrow 10 part of the hindu arabic system just sorta happens in my head without me knowing... Since it's the easier of the steps... I think.
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:36 PM   #73
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
It's hard to understand the Roman one but only because you haven't practiced it to death like the hindu arabic system (I mean you've presumably been using it what, 15, 18 years now? It's second nature).

But when you talk about complexity, as a computer science term, if you get longer and longer expressions in H-A arithmetic, it takes longer and longer for the computer to solve them. This is also true about Roman arithmetic, but the time it takes doesn't grow as quickly, because there are fewer steps to reach the solution.

If I gave you practice problems, I bet you'd like the Roman system better :p I do, and it's not because I crave being different xD It's just elegant (for addition and subtraction only)

What I mean is, you know how you 'forget to carry the 1' or something in our traditional arithmetic? That never happens in Roman, because you essentially 'cancel' letters on both sides of the minus sign.
Yeah, you're right. I don't even know most of the Roman numerals and I actually can't even read the first number that you posted XD

Well, maybe I can't... I would guess 982? Oh wait, you used the same values for both systems XD
Old 08-26-2009 at 02:39 PM   #74
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:
Actually, addition and subtraction in Roman Numerals is a dream come true compared to the hindu-arabic system, so long as you remember the order of the letters:

In Roman: (Remember: C means 100, M means 1000)
(1) CMLXXXII - CLVI
(2) = CCMXXXI - V ("Add" a C, because C comes before M, remove L,I since they are in their proper (decreasing) order...leave V alone because it doesn't appear in the expression)
(3) = CCMXX(VV)II - V ("Break" X into VV)
(4) = CCMXXVI (Remove V since it's in its proper order)

In Hindu-Arabic:
(1) 982 - 156
(2) = 982 - 100 - 50 - 6 (Group things in base 10)
(3) = ((972 + 10) - 6) - 100 - 50 ("Borrow" a 10)
(4) = (972 + 4) - 100 - 50
(5) = 976 - 100 - 50
(6) = 926 - 100
(7) = 826

^^Of course I wrote things down to death, but this is actually what you're doing every time you subtract (addition is similar, but with 'stacking' 10s). The Roman system is just about adding and removing letters...seems more mindless to me.

Multiplication and division sure, those get nasty in Roman...but they didn't need these back in the day.
LOL well all I have to say is the evidence is there, without the introduction of arabic numerals banking would not have come to where it is. Yes I did watch a documentary about it. Though its also a bad thing since bankers are pretty much owning the world (not to mention starting world wars and crashing markets all to make money). But arabic numerals also advanced mathematics in general and plus Arabs brought algebra to the west. The biggest thing we did though would have been in medicine. The funny thing now is we are lazy bums or should I say our leaders are stupid bums. Seriously...King Abdullah? Muamar Qadafi? Hosni Mubarak? All of them are stupid bums lol.

The only country in the middle easy thats actually smart is the UAE. They use their oil profits for growth in other sectors of the economy so that they won't have to rely on oil later on. Look at where they are now, very nice.

Old 08-26-2009 at 02:42 PM   #75
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Quote:

EDIT: I should also note that this is only addition/subtraction over the natural numbers. No zeroes, decimals or negative numbers (because these also weren't relevant back in Roman times...lol)
But Mike, as we all know addition and subtraction is grade 2 stuff. Overall you need much more than that. I mean if you want to have fun using the Roman numerals to add and subtract for fun, go ahead by all means