MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medical Physics and Applied Radiation Sciences Ajay R Academics 6 03-27-2011 11:57 PM
Residence/Medical Radiation Sciences Linh First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 03-20-2010 10:14 PM
Medical Radiation Sciences _Luu_ Academics 1 07-07-2009 10:14 PM

First Year Medical Radiation Sciences

Old 07-20-2011 at 07:44 PM   #31
serena_chm

Liked: 0 Times

Hey all ! My name is Serena and I'm going into med rad sci !
Hoping to meet you all in Sept

My term one courses are :
-BIO 1A03
-KINE 1Y03
-MATH 1A03
-MRS 1A03
-PSYCH 1X03

Term 2:
-MRS 1B03
-MRS 1C03
-MRS 1D03
-KINE 1YY3
-ECON 1B03
Old 07-26-2011 at 10:46 PM   #32
kelly

Liked: 2 Times

Hello!

My name is Kelly and unless I'm posting in the wrong thread, I'll be seeing you all in the coming fall as a first year MedRadSci Student!

My courses are basically the same as everyone else =P (although I'm registered in Chinese 1Z06 language course and trying to switch to Japanese).

Hope to meet you all soon - btw anyone here in Les Prince Hall?
Old 08-01-2011 at 06:28 AM   #33
AnnaWM

Liked: 1 Time

Hey guys is there a facebook for Medical Radiation Sciences for 2015? If so, could someone link it?
Old 08-01-2011
Amaryll
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-01-2011 at 10:59 AM   #34
aw07

Liked: 24 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaWM View Post
Hey guys is there a facebook for Medical Radiation Sciences for 2015? If so, could someone link it?
Tried to :

http://www.facebook.com/groups/266524706695988/?ap=1

SyrianFiona says thanks to aw07 for this post.
Old 08-01-2011 at 11:31 AM   #35
kgrun

Hi everyone. So I actually just finished my first year of MedRadSci this year and got into my first choice specialization but ultimately decided to transfer into a different program. That said, I'm really trying to sell all my first year medrad textbooks/custom courseware. I bought everything brand new this year and kept them in good condition. I also have MATH 1LS3 (Calc for Life Sciences) textbook and a brand new pair of lab goggles I'm trying to sell. I'm willing to include a copy of all assignments/tests that go with any of the courses.

Anyways I'm sorry for such the ad like post but its so hard to track MedRads down! Good Luck to all future MedRads in your upcoming year
Old 08-01-2011 at 01:03 PM   #36
Spencer

Liked: 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgrun View Post
Hi everyone. So I actually just finished my first year of MedRadSci this year and got into my first choice specialization but ultimately decided to transfer into a different program. That said, I'm really trying to sell all my first year medrad textbooks/custom courseware. I bought everything brand new this year and kept them in good condition. I also have MATH 1LS3 (Calc for Life Sciences) textbook and a brand new pair of lab goggles I'm trying to sell. I'm willing to include a copy of all assignments/tests that go with any of the courses.

Anyways I'm sorry for such the ad like post but its so hard to track MedRads down! Good Luck to all future MedRads in your upcoming year
Why would you switch out of medrad? It's an amazing program. We had a few ups and downs but in the end it will be worth it.

xFLY likes this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 05:55 PM   #37
Agni

Liked: 5 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMist View Post
As for me, I am in Radiation Therapy specialization (going into second year). If you guys got any questions, PM me and I'll be glad to answer them!
First off congratz to all of you who got into MedRadSci, all the best in your upcoming 4 years.

And Shahzad why? You chose to leave us and go to rad therapy bro how could you :O
But styll congratz man.

I agree with Spencer....and i thought i had the worst nickname

S

Btw someone msged me earlier and asked about the program, my thoughts and experiences. So I thought I should share my 2 cents with the rest of you guys as well, just so you guys get a feel for the program. (Btw it is just copy pasted from the email, what can i do im a lazy guy lol.)

In MedRadSc, you'll find out yourself that it really is a small program, but that also means you will most likely be with the same friends you've made in first year, granted you specialize in the same field. Accordingly, the MedRad lectures are also held in smaller lecture halls, and the faculty wants to get to know you on name basis which is really unique (They actually had our photos taken with our names so that they could memorize it)…maybe a really creepy now that I think about it. Moreover, as you might have heard, MedRad is a joint university-college program, so that means when you graduate you get a degree from Mac and a diploma from Mohawk college. I know the idea of belonging to a college may be a down fall to some people (including some of my friends in MedRad) but the courses are mostly held on Mac’s Campus. There is a lot of competition and limited seats when it comes to specializing (roughly 50 seats per specialty with 148 prospective students). Although, don't let that scare you because from the previous yrs, almost everyone got their first choices.

The one main thing about this program that I MUST inform you about is your summers. You will only get your first year summer off. Second year summer is dedicated to a clinical practicum (I am still figuring out how this will go down) and your entire third year is dedicated to school. That would probably be the biggest factor in turning most people away from the program. Also, I'll honestly say I disliked a couple of the MedRad courses in first year. I understood the concepts practically but it seems confusing theoretically. They were useful courses, but there was just a lot of theories that were very similar to each other that I had a hard time figuring out which was which.

The reason why I chose MRSc was because it was unique and different from other programs. You are already specializing for a career in second year, and the job prospects for MedRadSci graduates is very high.

Even though university is when you get to explore your interests. MedRad is one-minded in the sense that you are specializing at an early stage for a career you might pursue for the rest of your work life. However, you find that even though we are in MedRad, some of us actually want to pursue medicine instead, but MedRad also gives us a career to fall back on in case we cant get into med school. There were a couple of people who actually got into the Mac medical program from MedRad so its not impossible, as long as you take the prerequisites for med school as well.

I'm actually pursuing Radiography as my specialization because if I stick to this as a career there are also many different specializations you can do with this degree. Surprisingly its not just stuck at X-rays and CTs but you can go further and specialize in a specific area of the body. They also come with a pay raise as well .

Physics is actually a big part of what we do. As a technologist you have to know everything about the machines from how they function to the best angles for images. First yr physics was tough, but if you are decent in physics you should be able to get through ok. However, I heard it gets harder as you go. Best advice on physics is to ask someone in upper years about it. As long as you keep trying it isnt hard to stay in, after all they expect a grade of 5 which is like 60% i think?

Generally, MedRad is a great program so much so that you're pretty much set for life. They'll prepare you for it and guide you along the way. Its also VERY hands-on which is a really good thing for people like me lol. I hope I covered everything. Good luck in Uni!

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-01-2011 at 07:33 PM.

alyssaah, AnnaWM, kelly, SyrianFiona, xFLY all say thanks to Agni for this post.

Spencer, xFLY like this.
Old 08-01-2011 at 09:33 PM   #38
Spencer

Agni who are you?
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:04 AM   #39
Agni

Haha if youre good find out ...but i can give you a hint i had the one of the most memorable nicknames in MedRad lol
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:09 AM   #40
TheMist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agni View Post
Haha if youre good find out ...but i can give you a hint i had the one of the most memorable nicknames in MedRad lol

Lil boyyyyy

Spencer likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 09:14 AM   #41
Agni

Thanks Shahzad, I really appreciate your contributions. Jerk.

TheMist likes this.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:02 AM   #42
Spencer

Agni, you must hang around with "The Mist." Both of you have horrible nicknames.
Old 08-02-2011
amoiliz
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-05-2011 at 01:42 PM   #43
AnnaWM

Hey guys, I'm not able to find he med rad books on the titles website, I was wondering which website we use?