MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
As commerce student do I select 11 courses? gabbynelly First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 18 06-26-2012 02:08 PM
Off Campus Housing for First Year Student? Please Help! HanPark9205 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 06-27-2011 10:25 PM
Upper Year Commerce Students - Commerce 1st year report CAHopeful First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 0 03-13-2011 07:46 PM
Can commerce student do minor in Finance ?? ruby101 Academics 2 02-26-2011 04:30 PM

First Year Off-Campus Commerce Student!

Old 08-12-2012 at 12:29 AM   #1
sherloki

Liked: 3 Times

First Year Off-Campus Commerce Student!
Hi there! My name's Jenna DiValentin, and I'm from Brampton. I'll be commuting my first year, but I'm not sure about next year yet. I'm an archer -- too bad there's no archery club at Mac D:

I love all sorts of movies (oh please don't get me started on that topic), and some of the TV series I currently follow are The Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, BBC's Sherlock, Mad Men, True Blood and Suits. I have a fairly eclectic taste in music as well =)

Hoping to specialize in marketing, and the courses I'm taking are:

Term 1: Econ 1B03, Commerce 1PA0, Math 1F03, Classics 1B03, Geog 1HB3 and History 1B03
Term 2: Econ 1BB3, History 1AA3, Art History 1AA3, Commerce 1E03, and Math 1M03.

I've got some pretty big gaps between classes, so if anyone wants to get an LotR, Marvel or side-by-side Skyrim marathon going via laptop, let me know! Hope to see you all around!
Old 08-12-2012 at 04:58 PM   #2
XNtrikster

Liked: 6 Times

Hey Jenna! Whadda coincidence: I'm also from Brampton, will be living off campus as well, and I'll be taking art history 1aa3 ... Except it's a program requirement for me and I am nowhere near being a commerce student lol. And by me saying I'm living off campus, I mean "I will soon be living about a 10 minute walk away and therefore not commuting because I find it too daunting" so looks like similarities in terms of these end here good luck in the coming year with everything btw, when do you have art hist 1aa3?

And of course, welcome to Mac and MI
Old 08-12-2012 at 06:31 PM   #3
sherloki

Oh, neat! Studio art eh? Believe it or not (quite a stretch from commerce) I was considering that at one point. Hahaha, yeah a 10 minute walk sounds better! I may do off-campus housing for second year, I'll see how it goes =) You'll have to let me know what it's like. Thanks, you too!

I've got art history term 2 during the day, C01 and T04. What about you?
Old 08-12-2012 at 08:00 PM   #4
XNtrikster

Thanks, I hope it's as fun as I expect it to be commerce sounds great because you learn what and why the world goes round... Hint: NOT GRAVITY LOL seriously? Now this beginning to creep me out what got you to change your mind from art to commerce? And get this: I've got a September birthday too! Which is it that you'd like to know about, my experience in my program, or with off campus living? Either way, I'll definitely let you know can't say much yet for my program, but as far as where I'll be living I can tell you so far that I'll be living with about 4 guys and will be the only girl there haha and thank you!

Annnnnnnddd... We will have the same core class (obviously since core 1 is the only core), but different tutorials. I've got T8! Doesn't matter cause I'll still see you there! too bad history's boring imo lmao
Old 08-12-2012 at 08:16 PM   #5
nyasha33

Liked: 1 Time

Hey Jenna!
My name is Nyasha and I'm also a first year commerce student who will be commuting to Mac however from Mississauga .
Just looked over your schedule and we have Econ and Commerce together in term 1 and Econ Commerce and Math together in term 2. I have some gaps as well. What cores and tutorials do you have for those courses?
Hopefully we'll run into each other on campus!
Old 08-12-2012 at 11:04 PM   #6
sherloki

XNtrikster: Hahaha! Well exactly, plus I really want to get into a profession that I could move around with. If I lived in the GTA my entire life I'd be a little disappointed. LOL, yup! Took art all through high school. I always liked business as well though, I went to a middle school with a special business program. Ultimately I just decided I didn't want to deal with the super competitiveness of the art world, and how it's so very subjective. It certainly takes dedication and perseverance! Oh nice, so you're 17 too I'm not the only young one.

Mainly about the off-campus living LOL, at least there won't be too many fights over the bathroom...hopefully. That's great, really hope to see you! If you find it boring I'll be your study buddy, I love the history aspect, bahaha.

Nyasha: If you're taking the GO we'll be on the same bus Woo! Ooh, hopefully we have something together.
Term 1: Econ C01 and Comm C02
Term 2: Econ C03, Comm C03 T05, and Math C02 T02
Old 08-13-2012 at 11:17 AM   #7
nyasha33

Yes I will be taking GO so I shall see you then.
Are you going to welcome week?
We have term 1 together. In term 2 we have econ and Math C02 together.
Old 08-13-2012 at 12:31 PM   #8
sherloki

Yup, hopefully I'll be there for the whole thing. Will you be going to that Off-Campus Sleepover thing on the 4th? Sounds like a good idea as it's after one of the concerts.
Awesome, I have a commerce buddy 8D I'm one of those people coming to Mac not really knowing anyone, so this is great.
Old 08-13-2012 at 09:42 PM   #9
XNtrikster

With art you can go anywhere you want it to take you I do not want to live in the GTA all my life either. Think about it, it's application can be practical and has its uses just as it is subjective hah, I was part of an art program at my school so did art all those years too! Interesting, I never knew that middle schools had business programs :o what was that like? What's funny is that I think the opposite way from you and find the business world far more explicitly competitive than art. It doesn't feel like work (all the time) as long as I can find a way to play by my own rules to some extent. What makes you see it so competitive? Not that it's not, but each to their own! And I'm not 17, actually will be turning 19 soon still one of the "young ones" in a way though hehe

Try coming to as much welcome week stuff as you can besides, I can relate to you in that I'll be coming as well not knowing many people at all either so it's kinda nerve-wracking in all honesty. If you come, you'll know it's definitely worth your time if you meet even one person who you like and get to know. The rest will follow! And what is this off campus sleepover thing on the 4th of which you speak? :O

Last edited by XNtrikster : 08-13-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2012 at 12:45 AM   #10
sherloki

Oh yeah, very true! Certainly, without all of the different facets of art the world would be an incredibly boring place. I suppose I'm just saying (in a roundabout way) that I didn't think I had enough talent to make it in the art world, hahaha! There's no doubt that business is competitive as well, but I think I just feel more comfortable with it. With two self-employed graphic artists in the family, and seeing them go through all kinds of money troubles lately, it's probably the stability of a career in business that's attractive to me.

Ultimately, entrepreneurship and self-employment is probably a dream for everyone, regardless of their field There are though! I don't know if you've heard of the IBT program -- there are a few high schools in the GTA and a couple of middle schools. It was a long bus ride, but very valuable. Some of the things I did in grade 7 there, I ended up doing in grade 10 at my regular high school.

Yes ma'am! I'm planning on coming Sunday onward, apparently there's some sort of Off-Campus dinner/social thing that evening. That's great to hear though, everyone seems to know people as I just sit here getting more and more nervous about the whole ordeal. You're right, and it seems that Mac will be a lot less cliquey than high school...thank god.

According to this newsletter, on the night of the 4th (after the Steve Angello concert) off-campus students have the opportunity to sleep over in one of the halls. Sounds cool to me!
Old 08-14-2012 at 01:09 PM   #11
XNtrikster

Exactly LOL I still question how I'd fare in the art world. However likewise you and business, I feel more comfortable with the competitiveness of art... Yet I "should" be taking a business course or two. Wow, it's cool that you have artists in your family! I have no idea where I'll end up, but I do know that I want a more secure job in art. So for the forseeable future, self-employment will maybe be a side thing for fun. Do you have any idea as to what you would like to do?

No, I have never heard of the IBT program. What exactly is it? I never knew that any middle or high schools had this, let alone any in brampton haha. So you've known for quite a while that business was your thing eh?

Thanks for telling me about this, maybe I'll go for that and hope to see ya around! still debating on whether I should come on the saturday as per my original plan, but as the date's approaching, I'm beginning to think of putting it off by a day. I know I'm being a total hypocrite by saying this, but don't worry as much as it seems that everyone's going to these events already knowing a bunch of people and whatnot, logically you know as well as I do that there are lots of people who for now know anywhere from a few people to no one. And yes, thank god people here will be more like human beings instead of socially obsessed wolves!

PS: don't you find it amusing how each reply is getting progressively longer?
^EDIT: nvm, not really. They're sort of all over the place in terms of length
Old 08-15-2012 at 10:15 PM   #12
sherloki

Well that's good then, more power to you! If you do take some business courses, we may have some together I'm planning on doing the Honours one so I can do the exchange, which means more compulsory business courses, haha! Yeah, something in the commercial vein will probably be more stable. Everyone's gotta have a creative outlet though. I want to go into marketing for that very reason -- still requires a bit of right-brained thinking.

Ah, it stands for International Business and Technology program. It's basically just a couple of extra classes like entrepreneurship (for middle school anyway), and then we got to form our own "business", manufacture then sell a product at a trade show. At that time there was only a middle school and high school in Mississauga, but now we have one in Brampton

You should go! It seems like a good way to meet a lot of people. Hope to see you too! Ah I think Saturday's mainly a move-in day, there isn't much of anything going on. That's very true though, and I'm more than a little glad, hahaha! It seems Mac really tries to encourage a sense of community with all of these events. As an off-campus student you can't help but feel like you'll be missing out a little bit. Socially obsessed wolves, bahahah! Oh that's so accurate it hurts.

Long replies are great, I try to keep my posts shorter than a novella most of the time... but eh, what can you do?
Old 08-19-2012 at 06:43 PM   #13
XNtrikster

Sorry about the delay :$ I should take a business course or two, but I'm not going to this year and don't think I will :$ exchange is such an awesome opportunity. I'd love to do that too, and I can since my program is automatically honors, but I'm not sure how I'd make it work. Any ideas as to where you might like to go? For marketing it sounds like a smart idea to have some experiences from abroad but it just has to have that catch hehe. Of course everyone needs some sort of creative outlet, the world would be a very uninteresting and redundant place if no one did

Wow, who knew? The growing opportunities that are available for younger students... Now I'm curious to know what did you sell and what were some interesting sales ideas you saw other students do at the trade show?

I'll go for welcome week, but I'm not sure yet of which events I'll be attending have you figured that out yet? It seems that about half of the res buildings have move in on saturday, which is why not much will be going on. Students in the other half who'd be moving in the next day wouldn't have the chance to do anything if there was more. Yeah, I sorta got that feeling too that it may seem like off campus students will somehow get a little less out of it than the ones in res. I hope we're wrong in thinking that. When you say "oh that's so accurate it hurts," do you mean by laughter or more so from what you're glad you're leaving behind? Maybe a bit of both?

Can't do much more than what the mind sets you to do, and no one else can stop that
Old 08-19-2012 at 08:06 PM   #14
lucarox299

Liked: 0 Times

welcome to Mac
Old 08-21-2012 at 07:46 PM   #15
salvo1231

Welcom to McMaster, congradulations on your acceptance