MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When to look for off campus housing? ashlay17 Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 10 11-02-2010 02:31 PM
Off Campus Housing eSsBee Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 5 07-09-2010 12:14 AM
Off Campus Housing t.dot Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 06-14-2010 07:05 PM
Off campus housing Richa Off-Campus Housing (SOCS) 3 12-20-2009 03:47 AM

Off Campus Housing for First Year Student? Please Help!

Old 06-27-2011 at 06:59 PM   #1
HanPark9205

Liked: 1 Time

Off Campus Housing for First Year Student? Please Help!
Hi, I am a first year student.
I got a triple room for my residence... and I want to see if there are good off-campus residence.
The money is not a big concern for me at this point.
I am looking forward to spend around 4500+ dollars on residence for this coming school year.

I want a single room + sharing washroom with 2 to 4 people.
Something looks like Bates or MaryKeys residences.

I found a place calls, West Village Suits.
I am not sure if it is good or if they have spaces.
Seems like its nice, but I want to hear from actual experiences living there.

Please help ASAP!
I need to confirm whether I want to live on or off campus by this 30th to receive the full deposit back!

Thanks
Old 06-27-2011 at 07:02 PM   #2
byulnim

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanPark9205 View Post
I got a triple room for my residence... and I want to see if there are good off-campus residence.
I am looking forward to spend around 4500+ dollars on residence for this coming school year.

Please help ASAP!
I need to confirm whether I want to live on or off campus by this 30th to receive the full deposit back!

Thanks
lol Han, ditching your bunk and loft room???
this is Hanbyul btw
Old 06-27-2011 at 07:06 PM   #3
HanPark9205

Quote:
Originally Posted by byulnim View Post
lol Han, ditching your bunk and loft room???
this is Hanbyul btw
LOL
Im just looking for if theres any better options left for me.. -_-
My friends are keep telling me triple is going to be too stress.
:'(
Old 06-27-2011 at 07:09 PM   #4
davied

if you don't want that spot in rez can I have it? LOL ... but im serious.
Old 06-27-2011 at 07:13 PM   #5
byulnim

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
LOL
Im just looking for if theres any better options left for me.. -_-
My friends are keep telling me triple is going to be too stress.
:'(
that's true......
but it's just for the first year.
My friend who has graduated now stayed in res for 4 years and told me
it's more convenient cuz she could focus more on studying and didn't have to worry about
cooking, grocery shopping, etc.
but she also said it depends on individuals too.

Personally I think it's better to stay in res for the first year cuz it's gonna be so hectic
Old 06-27-2011 at 07:15 PM   #6
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

If you live in West Village, I believe you have to sign a 1 year lease. That means that the minimum amount you're going to spend is 6200 (if you get a suite with 4 bedrooms in it). There are definitely better options than that and honestly, I'd stick with the shitty lottery draw and go with the bunk and loft you got. I know some people who had a shitty time in one and basically only were in their rooms to sleep, but other people who had a great time with 2 room mates.
Old 06-27-2011 at 07:24 PM   #7
davied

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabell View Post
If you live in West Village, I believe you have to sign a 1 year lease. That means that the minimum amount you're going to spend is 6200 (if you get a suite with 4 bedrooms in it). There are definitely better options than that and honestly, I'd stick with the shitty lottery draw and go with the bunk and loft you got. I know some people who had a shitty time in one and basically only were in their rooms to sleep, but other people who had a great time with 2 room mates.

Um... they now do 8month leases and it would be 5160 for the year. But its for a two bedroom, you might also want to check into Binkley Hall its the same thing but a 1 bedroom and 5mins away from campus.
Old 06-27-2011 at 09:10 PM   #8
akmac

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:

Please help ASAP!

Thanks
I'm a first year student too, but from what I've read about West Village Suites it seems they don't care much about the students that live there. I've read that the internet was down for 2 weeks on time, but that's just what I've read.
That said, it might still be better than your triple room if you're claustrophobic, or if you plan to study in your room. I know I would NOT be able to live in a triple because I study in my room and I need my own air o.o
If you just plan to sleep in there I think you should be fine.
It really just depends on how you plan to use the room.
Hope this helps :]

**you could also rent a house? They go from about 375-475. They have a few all male houses for rent near the campus.
Old 06-27-2011 at 09:17 PM   #9
Dopematic

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmac View Post
I'm a first year student too, but from what I've read about West Village Suites it seems they don't care much about the students that live there. I've read that the internet was down for 2 weeks on time, but that's just what I've read.
I can verify this. The internet did go down for a while so I couldn't complete any of my online assignments at home. Management is also pretty bad.
I posted a little rant about West Village somewhere on MacInsiders
But basically, probably isn't worth the amount of money you'll be spending on rent.
Old 06-27-2011 at 09:23 PM   #10
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times

lol I got a single in Brandon, my first choice but I've been having second thoughts. I mean im only going to be really sleeping in my room. I do value my privacy but it's cheaper to get a double, triple or a bunk and loft. What do you guys think? I do believe that I'll get the best sleep with a single though
Old 06-27-2011 at 09:34 PM   #11
zoppos

Liked: Liked 2 Times

yes west condo definitely has poor management... the only thing the got for them is facilities. sometimes its a pain to walk to school - bout 15 mins walk - winter its horrible. gotta take the bus

off campus rooms in houses are not bad - basically your own private room shared washroom with 3/4 people and kitchen with a house of 6/7. way more freedom of campus too. no lame guest restrictions and with drinking...
Old 06-27-2011 at 09:59 PM   #12
HanPark9205

Thanks for all the replies.
How about the Binkley Hall off Campus residence??

If I still choose to live in on campus res.. I will mostly spend time in library or study room. :'(
Old 06-27-2011 at 10:06 PM   #13
davied

http://www.binkleyhallsuites .com/home.php

you never hear anything bad about it like West Villiage and it seems more like a rez experience but you choose where you're gonna stay ie single room, double

HanPark9205 says thanks to davied for this post.
Old 06-27-2011 at 10:23 PM   #14
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Hey HanPark,
My friend had bunk and loft last year, and for her it was an amazing experience. At first she thought she wouldn't like it, by the end of the year she ended up loving it. Res is a great experience first year, I don't think it matters what you get...it only matters what you make of the experience.
Old 06-27-2011 at 10:25 PM   #15
fusionorchid

Liked: 6 Times

i lived in a triple with the bunk and loft and it was not bad at all. I had great roommates and we didn't get into a single fight all year long. if your relationship with your roommates do get bad, talk to a c.a. to get things sorted out, or just not associate with your roommates at all, only going back to your room to sleep.