MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some questions from a second year kwyhan Financial Aid 1 06-23-2010 08:12 PM
First Year Kin Questions caitygambi First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 06-21-2010 07:46 AM
3rd Year Life Sci Bsc Questions soft_kitty99 Academics 3 06-19-2010 12:05 PM
2nd year Psych B.A (Questions) karla carr Academics 5 06-16-2010 10:25 AM
questions (2nd year) kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 06-08-2010 07:39 PM

First Year Questions!

Old 01-14-2011 at 07:54 PM   #16
davied

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
It's not a faculty, it is a department that belongs to both the science and social science faculties (although I believe it's more under 'science'...)

However, you still can't apply to be in it in first year. You apply in Feb/March-ish of your first year and you start in the program in second year. On OUAC it asks for your subject of major interest or whatever, but that isn't binding, it's just to get an idea for numbers and interest. You would most likely be coming from Life Sci 1 or Soc Sci 1 to get into a psych program in level 2.

It's also a very popular/competitive program, and people tend to really like psych electives, so as a result, the class sizes are huge.
Thanks, that was really helpful! I know that at UofT ths psych classes are HUGE like a 1000 students. Do you think i will get in if I have a 80 in eng, 87 in business, and a 71 in chem right now or will i have to wait till the end of semester 2?
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:56 PM   #17
davied

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
No, it means first year you're general life sci or soc sci, and then in second year you apply for whatever you want, provided you meet the course requirements. If you're looking for science-based, you should do life sci in first year.

So i take any general sciences or social sciences then apply to the PNB honors program?
Old 01-14-2011 at 07:57 PM   #18
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by davied View Post
So i take any general sciences or social sciences then apply to the PNB honors program?
Yep. You apply in Feb/March of first year. So, in first year it's all either general science/humanities classes where you can have people from a whole bunch of different people together, but it gets progressively smaller as you go into upper years.

davied says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.

davied likes this.
Old 01-14-2011 at 08:00 PM   #19
davied

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Yep. You apply in Feb/March of first year. So, in first year it's all either general science/humanities classes where you can have people from a whole bunch of different people together, but it gets progressively smaller as you go into upper years.

so in first year, what gpa should i be around to get in?
Old 01-14-2011 at 08:02 PM   #20
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

current admission info for second year:

Honours BSC. Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (Science)

Honours Ba. Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour (Social Science)

in addition, there are other programs like biopsych, music cognition etc. (which are both under science)

more info here

davied says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 01-14-2011 at 08:12 PM   #21
anon491
Professional Fangirl

oh and p.s. guys while we're on the topic of psych, if I don't get into biopsych, but I take their courses anyway.. like shadowing, if I apply again at the end of second year can I get accepted and just move into 3rd year of the program like normal? or would I have to start from level 1? Also, if I don't get into biopsych but get into psych, can I accept the program offer and shadow at the same time?

I was talking to an upper year biopsych student and he said about only 40 people get accepted :c so I'm really worried cause my GPA will be around 8 something at best
Old 01-14-2011 at 08:58 PM   #22
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
oh and p.s. guys while we're on the topic of psych, if I don't get into biopsych, but I take their courses anyway.. like shadowing, if I apply again at the end of second year can I get accepted and just move into 3rd year of the program like normal? or would I have to start from level 1? Also, if I don't get into biopsych but get into psych, can I accept the program offer and shadow at the same time?

I was talking to an upper year biopsych student and he said about only 40 people get accepted :c so I'm really worried cause my GPA will be around 8 something at best
You can definitely shadow it while you're enrolled in another program. But keep in mind that it'll still be competitive, so you'll need decent marks in second year as well, not just taking the pre-requisites. Also, see an academic advisor about all your options and such. They were extremely helpful when I was applying last year .

@ davied- I think around a 9.5 pretty much guarantees an offer into most programs. It's too early to worry about that though

Last edited by ~*Sara*~ : 01-14-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2011 at 09:02 PM   #23
anon491
Professional Fangirl

ah, okay. thanks sara
Old 01-14-2011 at 09:52 PM   #24
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

All I have to say is that Socsci is a joke.