MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First year social sciences - Intro! Rachael Introduce Yourself 4 07-07-2012 07:39 AM
First year- Social Sciences ReginaD Introduce Yourself 8 07-24-2011 12:05 PM
Last minute help picking courses for social sciences lin_aj First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-26-2011 09:30 PM
Social Sciences --> Life Science Courses JamesMonroe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-25-2011 11:08 AM

First Year Social Sciences - Courses

Old 03-07-2013 at 08:32 PM   #1
MaddySzl14

Liked: 2 Times

First Year Social Sciences - Courses
Hi there! I'm coming to Mac this year for Social Sciences and I'm really looking forward to being apart of the McMaster community! For those who have taken courses from the faculty of Social Sciences, I was just wondering what courses you enjoyed and what would you recommend to take? Thanks!
Old 03-07-2013 at 08:38 PM   #2
rpg51
Elite Member

Liked: 139 Times

depends on what you like. I really like Political Science. It was a lot of work but the prof (Dr. Alway) was awesome and the it is really interesting. I really liked the fact that you can debate your views in your tutorials as well. Very engaging class

MaddySzl14 says thanks to rpg51 for this post.
Old 03-07-2013 at 08:40 PM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Howdy Maddy!

Welcome to Soc Sci, it's a great program and I don't look back at all after choosing soc sci as my first year program.
Courses I really liked were Sociology, Health Studies, Aging and Society, Social Work (especially Social Work), Inquiry
Courses I didn't really like were Psychology, Anthropology, Geography and Political Science.
But that's just me, you need to take what interests you. What I would suggest is to google some course outlines (just google the course code and search for one, I've usually been lucky) and see what tickles your fancy!

Good luck!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

MaddySzl14 says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

anonanon987 likes this.
Old 03-07-2013 at 09:04 PM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

^ Just to add to that, MacInsiders has a bunch of course outlines as well as reviews, so you might want to check those out too if googling fails.

MaddySzl14 says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 03-08-2013 at 01:40 PM   #5
MaddySzl14

Liked: 2 Times

These responses have been very helpful, thank you so much for your advice!
Old 03-08-2013 at 09:12 PM   #6
Ponyo

Liked: 274 Times

not sure if you still want more answers but my friend took women studies and she said she found it easy and interesting, you should look it up
Congrats on your acceptance ^_^

MaddySzl14 says thanks to Ponyo for this post.
Old 03-09-2013 at 12:13 AM   #7
Kudos
Elite Member

Liked: 175 Times

All in all, it depends what you're into. Interests can be very interdisciplinary... for example, in my first year I was set on political science so I took Poli Sci, both econs, Labour Studies, Philosophy 1B03 (which discusses philosophies pertaining to a lot of current issues) and History 1BB3 (global 20th century). Tailoring your electives to your basic goal in first year can save you some time later on if you decide to declare a minor, and it also gives you room to change your mind (as I did, from poli sci to economics). I avoided stuff like sociology, psych and anthro because it didn't interest me. You will do your best in classes you enjoy/feel invested in so pick your classes accordingly.

MaddySzl14 says thanks to Kudos for this post.
Old 03-10-2013 at 08:59 PM   #8
mkhan

Liked: 0 Times

Political Science 1G06 is great, Alway is a really helpful prof. Labour Studies 1A03 was kind of a bird course. Religious Studies 1J03 is an interesting course where you examine great texts and books (Ramayana, stories of Buddha's life) in eastern religions, its a lot of reading but really interesting,

MaddySzl14 says thanks to mkhan for this post.
Old 03-12-2013 at 08:12 PM   #9
JKKMac

Liked: 0 Times

I found both macro and microecon to be quite interesting, so you may want to look in them!

MaddySzl14 says thanks to JKKMac for this post.
Old 03-14-2013 at 06:16 PM   #10
bobthehorse

Liked: 1 Time

I really enjoyed both of the intro human geography classes and the anthropology classes; especially if you have Dr. Prowse!

The two intro indigenous studies are also both extremely interesting if you're into that kinda thing.

MaddySzl14 says thanks to bobthehorse for this post.