MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Sciences --> Life Science Courses JamesMonroe First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-25-2011 11:08 AM
question about picking courses noface General Discussion 14 06-15-2011 09:49 AM
help picking courses santiagoeb Academics 1 06-10-2011 11:22 AM
Need help picking between courses kumquat Academics 8 06-16-2009 10:54 PM

Last minute help picking courses for social sciences

Old 06-26-2011 at 08:36 PM   #1
lin_aj

Liked: 0 Times

Last minute help picking courses for social sciences
Hey, I'm going into social sciences this September (first year)
I'm planning on pursuing a career in Journalism/Teaching
The site is very confusing some of the courses I am interested in is:

Social Sciences 2Q03 (Women and Family in Canada)
Social Sciences 3H03 (Digital Media Inquiry: The Individual)
SOC WORK 1A06
SOCIOL 2L03 [media institutions]

CMST 1A03

I'm not sure what courses are required for me to take and what electives I'm allowed to take to help me with my career?Could someone with experience in this area help me out with what courses would be the best for me? Thanks!
Old 06-26-2011 at 08:40 PM   #2
SilverHawley

Liked: 8 Times

English courses would probably be good =D Maybe some Poli Sci as well?

lin_aj says thanks to SilverHawley for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 08:44 PM   #3
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

Just stick with level I courses if you're going into first year. Soc Work 1A06 would be helpful because it's essentially an analysis of issues that cause marginalization. Definitely take CMST 1A03, someone else suggested taking english courses which will also be helpful. Look into poli sci and history courses as well.

Best of luck!

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

lin_aj says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 09:05 PM   #4
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times

I'm soc. sci and just finished 1st year. here's a really good mac site to help you to understand how 1st year works.

http://www.socialsciences.mc master...t-year-program

basically you start as a general soc. sci. student. there are a list of courses that are required and you choose 12 units from that. *note they are all level one courses which means that the lettering system starts with a "one" in front like 1A03. choose ones you find interesting but also the ones that will help you as prerequisites when you choose your major in 2nd year. for example, i chose honours anthropology for my major, so in first year i took all of the anthropology courses (1A03, 1Z03 and 1B03).

the remaining 18 units are electives. you have to have 6 (i think) units that are from humanities or religion and they rest you can choose randomly from the electives list.

you say you're interested in 2nd and 3rd year courses... so check those out and see what 1st year courses you would need to be able to get into them and make sure to include those.

lin_aj says thanks to soltintal for this post.
Old 06-26-2011 at 09:30 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times

I would stick with levelI courses (the ones that start with 1) as if you go into level II or III, the expectations get higher. So I would recommend you take a wide variety of level I courses just to explore and then once you decide on a major, you can take all the courses you`re interested in as electives

lin_aj says thanks to ~*Sara*~ for this post.