MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Social Sciences BA - Second Year themacmaster Academics 5 06-12-2013 03:19 PM
Second Year Social Work-Sociology-Psych Confusion? brit92 Academics 2 05-27-2012 01:12 PM
First year- Social Sciences ReginaD Introduce Yourself 8 07-24-2011 12:05 PM

First year Social sciences: sociology

Old 05-03-2014 at 02:15 PM   #1
idhillon9

Liked: 0 Times

First year Social sciences: sociology
I have recently been accepted to the Social sciences program at Mcmaster and have many questions that i hope to get answered. Firstly, i would like to know how the first year of social sciences is and what does it consist of ? since i have chosen the path of sociology will the courses be more sociological related or is it more broad in the first year of social sciences? I know i might be getting ahead of myself here but i have taken into account that the social science program at Mac offers Co-op/internships and was wondering what types of placements they provide for this program and if they are beneficial. I look to pursuit law and would like to attend law school after post-secondary, in that sense would i be making a good choice in choosing to go into Sociology in the social sciences program at Mac?

I know this a lot to ask for but i just wanted some beneficial advice in order to chose the right path for my future.

Thank you.
Old 05-03-2014 at 03:10 PM   #2
lolidunno

Liked: 12 Times

I don't really know anything about the internships but being in social sciences you will take the only first year sociology course available (although it is a two term course) and the rest will be pretty much anything you want. You can look at the course listing here to get an idea of what you will be taking:
http://registrar-old.mcmaster.ca/CAL...rrent/pg4.html
Old 05-03-2014 at 03:45 PM   #3
Phoneup

Liked: 43 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolidunno View Post
I don't really know anything about the internships but being in social sciences you will take the only first year sociology course available (although it is a two term course) and the rest will be pretty much anything you want. You can look at the course listing here to get an idea of what you will be taking:
http://registrar-old.mcmaster.ca/CAL...rrent/pg4.html
Strong username correlation? Haha.

lolidunno likes this.
Old 05-03-2014 at 04:44 PM   #4
AndrewS

Liked: 29 Times

Although it's not difficult to do decent in Sociology, you may find it difficult to have a competitive GPA for law school (don't let the easiness of the first year course fool you). The first and second year courses are easy (but use ratemyprofessor to find out the difficulty of different profs to make sure you can have the highest possible GPA). *Take 2Z03 (intro to research methods) in the summer. Assuming 3H06 (stats) is still the same, it starts off ridiculously easy, but take it seriously because the difficulty increases fairly quickly. Work on your writing, don't be content with getting alright marks, because if you want to go to law school, you need to be getting As in upper years, where profs mark harder. Basically, it is quite possible to go to law school through sociology, but like with any other program, you will have to be dedicated to it. For getting into law school sociology might be harder than some other programs, because of the writing and subjective nature of marking. It's hard to get an A+ in a lot of upper year Sociology classes.

idhillon9 says thanks to AndrewS for this post.
Old 05-03-2014 at 05:40 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Congrats on choosing Soc Sci at McMaster! Great choice!

Once you know what courses you're going yo be taking, check out our MacInsiders Course Reviews section (link is at the top of the site) and you can look up the course codes. There are hundreds of reviews written by students in there that will give you an idea of what the course is all about and what to expect.

Hope you're excited for May At Mac (next Saturday) and Welcome Week in September!
Old 05-03-2014 at 09:50 PM   #6
Fennec

Congratulations on making it to Social Sciences here in McMaster! I really hope you enjoy your journey!
I won't be repeating what the others have said here because I think they did a great job covering the basics for you. However, if you are considering internships/ Co-op you'll have to take 1EL0 & 2EL0. These courses are an advantage for Social Science students and aren't completely offered in other faculties.
They are free courses you take them in addition to your 5 course load in the semester, and lasts for 6 weeks only. The 1st year course will help you with time management, procrastination and getting accustomed to your 1st year. the 2nd year course is highly recommended because it will provide you with a thorough practical explanation to resumes, cover letters, interviews...etc. all university style that is.

Without taking these courses the internship/Co-op opportunities will not be offered to you through McMaster on the Oscarplus website. You are only allowed one absence in this course or skipping two halves of a lecture which adds up to one absence. You don't get a grade but just a pass or a fail.

Also, since you are going into Sociology and as mentioned above all other courses are electives I recommend you take something that'll broaden your perspectives, especially since you are considering law. I would recommend Political Science with Dr. Todd Alway (He's awesome!) but it also depends on what you prefer. And don't hesitate to have a mix of some of the Humanities courses with your Social Science ones that's totally fine and can be helpful!

Hope that helps and best of luck!

idhillon9 says thanks to Fennec for this post.
Old 05-12-2014 at 09:10 PM   #7
idhillon9

is it posible for me to major in say something like Law and minor in business ? or will i major in sociology ? a lil confused now that i looked further into courses and from reading other forums.
Old 05-13-2014 at 12:23 AM   #8
jaywa
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 9 Times

There is no law major at McMaster. You don't have to select a major until the end of your first year. You can choose whatever courses you want in first year, just make sure you have the prerequisites for any programs you might want to apply to for second year.

For internships and placements in the social sciences check out McMaster Experiential Education.
http://experiential-ed.mcmaster.ca/
Old 05-13-2014 at 06:50 AM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 580 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywa View Post
There is no law major at McMaster. You don't have to select a major until the end of your first year. You can choose whatever courses you want in first year, just make sure you have the prerequisites for any programs you might want to apply to for second year.

For internships and placements in the social sciences check out McMaster Experiential Education.
http://experiential-ed.mcmaster.ca/
Actually, there is a relatively new program at Mac: http://jppl.humanities.mcmas ter.ca/
However, this is not equivalent to a Law degree that would enable you to write the bar exam and become a lawyer It's more the social science behind law.

Quote:
is it posible for me to major in say something like Law and minor in business ? or will i major in sociology ? a lil confused now that i looked further into courses and from reading other forums.

You can major in law and minor in business, or you can major in sociology (+/- a minor) or you can major in any of the other programs offered by soc sci and humanities.

Sociology is NOT the same as social science.