MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU President Blog #2: Settling into office and transition weekend! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-17-2010 10:32 AM
Bolivia in Transition Event: Thursday October 29th lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-28-2009 01:48 AM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program for Students with Disabilties MacTrans MSU & On-Campus Services 2 05-23-2009 07:37 PM
HYPE Summer Transition Program Adam O ARCHIVES 24 06-10-2008 01:07 PM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program! MacTrans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-03-2008 04:28 PM

First Years: How was your transition?

Old 03-05-2011 at 05:39 PM   #16
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

got a new forum avatar

also a bump to this thread I really want to see some results, its all stupid spam so far
Old 03-05-2011 at 05:45 PM   #17
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

My first year GPA is sadly a 6 right now..I think I'm doing pretty bad for Life Sciences. What is yours sirphil if you don't mind me asking?

SirPhil says thanks to jeboi7 for this post.
Old 03-05-2011 at 05:48 PM   #18
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
My first year GPA is sadly a 6 right now..I think I'm doing pretty bad for Life Sciences. What is yours sirphil if you don't mind me asking?
mind me asking how well you did in high school and what courses were the hardest in first year?
Old 03-05-2011 at 06:09 PM   #19
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagaj View Post
I dont know if anyone else noticed this but the essay writing techniques they teach you in high school (Point-proof, point-proof, point-proof) is totally incorrect and professors in university do not like it. Not sure if this is worth mentioning but I did notice that it caused me to lose a lot of marks from my first few assignments.
I wouldn't say its totally incorrect but I did notice they were looking for something a little different. I remember my first essay assignment in University (Geography assignment) I didn't do too well because I just did what I did in high school (point-proof) and apparently it wasn't what the TA was looking for. For engineering classes however where I had to write up an essay that is exactly what they wanted and I did really well on those.

So, my suggestion before you hand in your very first essay assignment is to ask the TA what they are expecting or even have them take a quick look at a rough draft of your essay so you don't get a surprise when you get it back.

danallan likes this.
Old 03-05-2011 at 06:20 PM   #20
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

1) 95.00
2) 7 - Completely Satisfied
3) 7 - Completely Prepared
4) 7 - Completely Prepared
5) 10.6
6) 5 - Somewhat Satisfied
7) 4 - Indifferent
8) High School and University aren't very different, you just aren't babied as much as you were in H.S.
9) Studying for tests.
10) As cliched and over-used as it, don't study for tests the night before. I, like everyone else, did it in H.S. and it worked but that shit will not fly anymore.
11) Personally, staying awake is class was the hardest thing. It's a lot easier to nap when you know that the person talking can't see you.
12) No. The best way to learn something is to go through it and experience an adjustment period. People are going to struggle with using their time wisely, not studying enough, and leaving stuff until the last minute…it's inevitable. That being said, I think the best way to learn how to do well is to go through it yourself and see what works for you.
13) No.

tl;dr: There's no cookie-cutter method on how to do well. Don't find out what works for others and try to go with it. Instead, find out what works for you.

Edit: Forgot to mention.. Program: Life Sci

Last edited by RememberTwce : 03-05-2011 at 08:15 PM.

SirPhil says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 03-05-2011 at 06:27 PM   #21
jeboi7
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 68 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
mind me asking how well you did in high school and what courses were the hardest in first year?
My High School average was 86%. The most difficult course was chem 1A03 and Bio 1A03.
Old 03-05-2011 at 06:29 PM   #22
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeboi7 View Post
My High School average was 86%. The most difficult course was chem 1A03 and Bio 1A03.
well at least you made it to second year

thanks for the post
Old 03-05-2011 at 08:02 PM   #23
Watoko
Elite Member

Liked: 126 Times

What Program are you in? Life Science I

2. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unsatisfied and seven (7) being completely satisfied.

5. Somewhat Satisfied

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unprepared and seven (7) being completely prepared. Please circle the most appropriate response.

6. Very Prepared

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now? Please pick the most appropriate response.

3. Somewhat unprepared

6. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please circle the most appropriate response.

7. Completely Satisfied for term 1

7. How did you find the transition from grade 12 into First year?

5. Somewhat Good

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is? Please even just a few words would be an excellent answer in order to better equipping incoming First Years.

My study habits actually got worse...

9. What skills do you believe would have better prepared you for the university experience?

Time management

10. What advice do you have to give grade 12 students entering university which would help with their transition?

Keep up with lecture material and definitely invest in an agenda because there's so many things going on and so many deadlines!

11. What did they struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university sill did you find most difficult to grasp?

Time management

12. Would you participate in a program that taught all the aforementioned skills?

It's free, right?

13. Did you repeat any courses or do you plan on doing so in summer school? If so how many are they and why do you think you are doing so?

No.

Hope you put together a great presentation!

Last edited by Watoko : 03-05-2011 at 08:05 PM.

SirPhil says thanks to Watoko for this post.
Old 03-05-2011 at 08:11 PM   #24
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

edit: p.s. I'm in life science~

1. 93%

2. 2 - very unsatisifed

1. 2 - very unsatisfied

3. 6. very prepared

4. 5. very prepared (in terms of content, I was completely prepared, even a little ahead in some subjects... but not in terms of study skills/how to time manage)

5. not going to disclose.

6. 2. very unsatisfied. didn't fail anything, but it was a harsh blow compared to my usual marks.

7. 2. very difficult.

8. I wasn't ready for the amount of work and my own lack of time management and disorganization made things a lot harder.

9. time management, for sure.

10. don't forget to eat and sleep properly.

11. TIME MANAGEMENTTTTT. I also just found myself pretty unmotivated for most of the year. felt like I dug myself into a hole that I couldn't escape. felt like everyone in the class was smarter than me and I was the only one falling behind. it was awful.

12. all the programs and workshops are great and all but.. I don't find myself following their advice. even though they have good techniques, they seem unrealistic/I'm not motivated to follow them.

13. I'm not repeating any courses, seems like a waste of time... but I'll be going to summer school to do second year orgo ahead of time so I can get it out of the way.

SirPhil says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 03-05-2011 at 08:17 PM   #25
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

1. 96%
  2. 7
  3. 7
  4. 4
  5. 10.SomethingOrOther
  6. 3 bombed one of my exams, felt really bad about it since I knew I could have done better
  7. 3
  8. Can't think of a particular reason, It just took some getting used to being on my own
  9. Cooking Skills
  10. Not having crazy roommates
  11. Having crazy roommates/ Dealing with cancer. Dealing with Crazy roommates
  12. I doubt it would exist
  13. no and do not plan to.

SirPhil says thanks to REPLEKIA/. for this post.
Old 03-05-2011 at 08:39 PM   #26
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

What Program are you in? Life Science

1. What was your High School Average (Top 6 Marks) when entering University? 92.7%

2. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unsatisfied and seven (7) being completely satisfied.
6. Very Satisfied

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unprepared and seven (7) being completely prepared. Please circle the most appropriate response.
3. Somewhat unprepared

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now? Please pick the most appropriate response.
2.Very unprepared

5. What was your First Year Tem 1 average?

6. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please circle the most appropriate response.
4. Indifferent

2. Very Difficult

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is? Please even just a few words would be an excellent answer in order to better equipping incoming First Years.
It was hard to adjust to working like every minute of the day. Very exhausting at first.

9. What skills do you believe would have better prepared you for the university experience?
None--no one can ever be fully prepared, imo.

10. What advice do you have to give grade 12 students entering university which would help with their transition?
Start doing work right away, even if you think it is just a little or you can do it later (ie. first like two weeks)

SirPhil says thanks to Biochem47 for this post.
Old 03-05-2011 at 10:08 PM   #27
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

Thanks everyone for you all your help!
Old 03-06-2011 at 02:36 PM   #28
cypher

Liked: 7 Times

What Program are you in? Engineering

1. What was your High School Average (Top 6 Marks) when entering University? 89 %

3. Somewhat Unsatisfied

2. Kind of Prepared

6. Very Prepared

5. What was your First Year Tem 1 average? 10 point something...

4. Indifferent

5. Somewhat Good

I think the work load was pretty much the same thing as my high school. But I think Mac is marking me a lot easier than my high school ever did. There really wasn't anything to get used to in terms of academic work load etc. I had more trouble trying to figure out how the laundry machine worked...

Time Management! In high school it was really easy to make time for things. School was in the morning. And then you had the rest of the day to do whatever else you wanted. But in university, having random classes at random times can really confuse you about what needs to be done and when.

Be prepared to get a crapload of work and be able to balance everything else. Also, it may seem like there's nothing much to do during the first month of each term, but if you slack off in the beginning it's really hard to catch up on stuff later. Content gets covered really fast so you have to be careful not to fall behind.

11. What did you struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university skill did you find most difficult to grasp?

The hardest part was figuring out when to do what. I just couldn't get used to having classes at odd times and random breaks in between for a long time. Also, each class has a special way to study for it. For one class, you might have to just listen to the professor and you'll be able to remember everything. For other classes you might have to take notes and do practice problems on the side, etc.

12. Would you participate in a program that taught all the aforementioned skills?

Eh...not really. I don't think I'll ever implement a useful skill until a crisis happens and I find the value of it myself

13. Did you repeat any courses or do you plan on doing so in summer school? If so how many are they and why do you think you are doing so?

I dropped a course on Engineering Design and Graphics because I really suck at visualizing and I found myself struggling in the beginning. I didn't want to bring my average down because of it. Also, I might take some harder courses this summer so that I don't have to struggle with them next year during school.

SirPhil says thanks to cypher for this post.
Old 03-06-2011 at 04:26 PM   #29
epikness

Liked: 37 Times

Last edited by epikness : 03-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2011 at 04:50 PM   #30
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

is it not clear to everyone the kid is only interested in #5?