MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Year Summer Orientation Program cjdzl First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 06-24-2010 04:15 PM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program for Students with Disabilties MacTrans MSU & On-Campus Services 2 05-23-2009 07:37 PM
Summer Orientation Program? Sync First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-01-2008 11:04 PM
Summer Work Program Chad Jobs & Employment Tips 4 06-04-2008 10:26 PM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program! MacTrans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-03-2008 04:28 PM

HYPE Summer Transition Program

Old 06-03-2008 at 12:07 PM   #1
Adam O

Liked: 0 Times

By ADAM OUELLETTE, MACINSIDERS

I’m HYPEd about HYPE! From July 2 – July 4 McMaster University will be running HYPE (Helping You Personalize Education), a FREE three day two night transition workshop / camp / pre-welcome week for students with physical and non-physical disabilities entering any university in Ontario. The purpose of this event is to have students with learning, sensory, mobility, chronic medical and mental health disorders, to get a head start on recognizing and tackling the extra barriers likely to be faced in the university setting. A taste of the three day schedule includes workshops on how to deal with financial aid and tips on bursaries, stress management, self advocacy, how to get yourself out of some awkward situations and learning strategies and technology. During a brief interview, Mike Sunderani, a fourth year McMaster student and one of the coordinators of the transition program states, “As a student with ADHD I wish I had something like this when I was entering university”. To take advantage of this opportunity you must have medical documentation confirming your disability. If you suspect you have a learning disability but are not sure a Psycho-Educational assessment can be performed free of cost.

Basically, this event is going to let students stay in residents for 2 nights, eat delicious free food, meet people, and get a taste of the university life for free. You will also have a chance to meet upper year students with and without disabilities of their own who can answer most if not all of your questions. Or at least try. This event is geared to accommodate everyone and any type of disability. Currently, over 17 students are confirmed to attend and there is room for a maximum of 40 students. This program has been created and implemented by fourth year students and will surely be a great time. HYPE has also put forth a serious effort to have this event leave a zero ecological foot-print and be a sustainable event. This means as few emissions as possible will be released in the making of this event. And the ones we do release will be neutralized with energy credits.
<o>
For more information on HYPE you can check out the website at csd.mcmaster.ca/hype, email the transition program at [email protected] or call to speak to Alek or Mike at 905-525-9140 extension 26049.</o>

Last edited by lorend : 06-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-03-2008 at 07:57 PM   #2
__lexington

Liked: 1 Time

What's it like?
Has anyone attended this before as a student with disability? I mean...I don't usually consider mental health a disability...but that could be the stigma forced on me be society (and my parents)...so it was interesting to see that recognized. However, is the weekend like a therapy session? How much of it focuses on school? I live about two hours away so...gotta make the gas worth my while (PS I'm a lazy sh*t)
Old 06-03-2008 at 09:59 PM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I went as an Ogema (ie the upper-year student who makes sure the no one gets too out of hand) last year.

You'd be staying on campus for three days, meals paid for...so you're not doing much driving!

There will be sessions on what CSD can do for you, as a student with a disability. You have no idea what a good resource it is unless you've had to do without it. Then there is orient yourself to McMaster in general activities, trips off-campus to local places to eat, etc.

I missed the last planning meeting because I was sick, so I don't know all of the specifics. If you're curious, call Alek or Mike...ithey can answer your questions and fill you in about the itinerary and stuff.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-04-2008 at 07:24 AM   #4
__lexington

Intriguing...

I just...don't want to go and feel like a fraud if that makes sense. Is HYPE similar to the event ran for students who are the first in their family to be going to post-secondary??
Old 06-04-2008
Chad
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 06-04-2008 at 01:54 PM   #5
MacTrans

However, is the weekend like a therapy session? How much of it focuses on school? I live about two hours away so...gotta make the gas worth my while (PS I'm a lazy sh*t)

HYPE is set up to give you the information you need before you enter university. By the time you have left HYPE, you will know all about the accommodation process, the Centre for Student Development and what it has to offer, and you will have even met a bunch of different individuals. The majority of individuals last year were ADHD or had a learning disability, so yes, there is a lot with encoding disbailities or focus disabilities.
HYPE is not meant to be a therapy session. In fact, the only 'therapy' like thing is a one hour session with one of Mac's councellors on how to control stress and anxiety. The weekend is divided up between information sessions and fun things to do! In fact, we'll take you out to Hess village for dinner, go on Hike's through Coote's, and show you how to survive in a dorm using an iron and kraft cheese slices. lol seriously... Its gonne be three days of good people, good food and good times. Honestly, you will not regret signing up and attending. I woudn't be a coordintor for this if I didn't believe in it.
Old 06-04-2008 at 08:33 PM   #6
__lexington

Hahaha...

Is it bad if the iron and cheese slice survival tutorial is what may convince me? LAWL
Old 06-04-2008 at 10:45 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Now I want to help out again...just for the iron and cheese thing. And to see Cootes for the first time (yeah I'm a lame fifth year)

And no, HYPE is not the same as the First Gen program at all. Especially because I'm still developing the Welcome Day program for First Gens.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 06-05-2008 at 08:21 AM   #8
MacTrans

Danielle,

If you want to help out again, I may be able to put a good word in to myself for you.

Oh, and Lexington.... JOIN! It'll be a blast, I promise.
Old 06-05-2008 at 12:42 PM   #9
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

It seems like an AWESOME program!!

Danielle, what do you mean you've never been in Cootes? :O I go almost daily!
Old 06-05-2008 at 09:24 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

My days for the Easy Summer Orientation Program start at 7:15/7:30 AM and will go until 4:30/5...and I have night class on Thursday.

So...I'll see what I can perhaps? But no promises.

Old 06-06-2008 at 08:42 AM   #11
MacTrans

so its definitly a yes or a maybe.... sweet..
Old 06-09-2008 at 07:52 PM   #12
__lexington

Alright...alright...F IIINNEE! I'll stop being over anxious and anti-social.
Old 06-09-2008 at 08:09 PM   #13
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yay for social!

I'm an extraverted intravert myself (it's weird...I dunno...) so I know how you feel.

Old 06-09-2008 at 08:11 PM   #14
__lexington

Nah nah...I know what you mean...Kind of like...

I'm incredibly shy but I'm loud to cover up the fact that I'm shitting my pants LAWL.