MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MSU President Blog #2: Settling into office and transition weekend! lorend MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-17-2010 10:32 AM
Bolivia in Transition Event: Thursday October 29th lorend MacInsiders Announcements 1 10-28-2009 01:48 AM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program for Students with Disabilties MacTrans MSU & On-Campus Services 2 05-23-2009 07:37 PM
HYPE Summer Transition Program Adam O ARCHIVES 24 06-10-2008 01:07 PM
HYPE! Summer Transition Program! MacTrans First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-03-2008 04:28 PM

First Years: How was your transition?

Old 03-07-2011 at 06:21 AM   #31
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
is it not clear to everyone the kid is only interested in #5?
no??? :S why is he only interested in that?
Old 03-07-2011 at 11:32 PM   #32
ctyctycty

Liked: 15 Times

yo guy why are you such an unnecessary hater, Sirphil probably just wants to help out his highschool class like he said. if anything he's interested in WHAT you think would have helped you transition into university, not just your mark.

anyway, here's my survey:
What Program are you in? Life Sciences
1. 93

2. 7

3. 7

4. Very prepared

5. dropped a few percent

6. very prepared

7. good

8. taking AP courses in highschool helped me a lot in terms of academics.

9. i'm super messy, so getting organized

10. What advice do you have to give grade 12 students entering university which would help with their transition?

know your goals, know what you want to accomplish going into and coming out of university.

11. What did you struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university skill did you find most difficult to grasp?

SLEEP PATTERN

12. no

13. i might do orgo chem this summer, but only because i hear its really hard to do it regularly throughout the school year.

SirPhil says thanks to ctyctycty for this post.
Old 03-07-2011 at 11:33 PM   #33
allstarme

Liked: 17 Times

^ y u hatin'. That's not the most important part of this survey. This kid is going back to his high school and he wants to try to help 12th graders who might be interested in how marks have altered from before to after university. Don't see how just #5 is going to help anyone

The Survey:

What Program are you in? Life Sci

2. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unsatisfied and seven (7) being completely satisfied.
6. Very Satisfied

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unprepared and seven (7) being completely prepared. Please circle the most appropriate response.
5.Somewhat Prepared 6. Very Prepared

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now? Please pick the most appropriate response.
6. Very Prepared

6. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please circle the most appropriate response.
5. Somewhat Satisfied 6. Very Satisfied

7. How did you find the transition from grade 12 into First year?
5. Somewhat Satisfied 6. Very Good

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is? Please even just a few words would be an excellent answer in order to better equipping incoming First Years.
I felt that my high school did a very good job preparing for university, since most of the things that were taught in first year were not exactly new to me, in the general courses such as math, chem, bio... (Chem 1AA3 is still hard though.)

9. What skills do you believe would have better prepared you for the university experience?
Don't procrastinate. Everyone knows this, it's just that it's hard to do. D:

10. What advice do you have to give grade 12 students entering university which would help with their transition?
DON'T PROCRASTINATE

11. What did they struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university sill did you find most difficult to grasp?
Time management. There's so much time, so you think, "omg i can piss away an hour" but soon an hour becomes a million hours

12. Would you participate in a program that taught all the aforementioned skills?
mayhaps

13. Did you repeat any courses or do you plan on doing so in summer school? If so how many are they and why do you think you are doing so?
i might do physics in summer school because i need prereqs for med phys next year

SirPhil says thanks to allstarme for this post.
Old 03-09-2011 at 01:02 AM   #34
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Liek so h4rd mang. You better get used to drinking coffee if you don't already.

P.S. I hate teh integralz.
Old 03-09-2011 at 02:29 AM   #35
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

First year was fun...and new. Learned a lot
Old 03-09-2011 at 11:06 PM   #36
hatorade

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post

what kind of ****ing language is this, weirdo....
Old 03-09-2011 at 11:17 PM   #37
Jamalf

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desda View Post

If you're worried about integration, you can use your calculator to double check all your answers. It only works for definite integrals though.

So for example if you want to find the integral ∫x2cosx between 10 and 30

you press the ∫dx button on the calculator top left next to "CALC"
then type in the function
to type in X just press Alpha and then the ")" button
then "^" button, then "2"
followed by "cos" and then Alpha ")" to get the x
finally to specify what region press the "," button it's next to the ")" button
then enter your starting point "10" then "," again and then your ending point "30" and finally close the bracket by pressing ")"

and press equals and it spits out an answer for you
depending on how complex the integral is, it can take a really long time, i remember once it took 8 minutes to just calculate one integral

Edit: it should be x^2 not x2 at the top

tatski-p says thanks to Jamalf for this post.

Desda, xxsumz like this.
Old 03-11-2011 at 11:59 PM   #38
rcmp1234

Liked: 7 Times

program: health sci
1. 95
2. 6
3. 5
4. 5
5. not disclosing
6. 6
7. 5
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:06 AM   #39
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

life sci ***
1. 93

2. 7

3. 5

4. 2

5. - ok maybe not that bad but not what i wanted ( but you never get what you want especially in uni - 9ish)

6. 3

7. 3 - i found it hard, im used to having someone telling me this is for hw and here are the notes copy them down. in uni its like read the text, listen to me, and do w.e you want.

8. aahhaaa i dont know well yea like i said its way different then highschool and i just wasnt prepared. but i made a lot of mistakes in first year, mistakes which taught me important lessons which will help me do better next year.

9. i dont think highschool can really prepare you for uni, unless they structure gr 12 like uni, i guess the best thing to do is to come in to uni and just dive in and if you make any mistakes, well its still first year and you still have a lot of time ahead of you, learn from the mistake and fix it next year.

10. well wat i said for 9, dive in, dont look back, dont regret, and dont get behind on work, there really isnt an easy water slide transition on which you can casually just slide down and know ull be fine when you get to the bottom. i found uni to be like jumping off a cliff and hitting a target a mile below you, just hope for the best, hope you have a parachute that works, and try to land on the bulzeye.

11. huh i think time management was a key thing which i had a hard time dealing with, with uni comes a lot more freedom, and unfortunately i tended to get distracted easily and waste my time. also knowing whats important to study and wats useless.

12. yea, i think that first year committie thing had a couple of those but i never went which i regret

13. its first year, ill take wat i get in the end ( which wont be too good) and i wont look back, im getting into my 2nd year program anyways so no point of trying to boost my mark. I will do better next year i hope

~k

Last edited by Chevalier : 03-13-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-13-2011 at 11:20 AM   #40
Jman.

Liked: 14 Times

What Program are you in? Engineering

1. What was your High School Average (Top 6 Marks) when entering University? 90

2. How satisfied were you with your marks?
7. Completely Satisfied

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School?
4.Indifferent

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now?
6. Very Prepared

5. What was your First Year Tem 1 average? 7.4, second term it's ~9.5 now (That's what a good scare will do, I guess)

6. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please circle the most appropriate response.
3. Somewhat Unsatisfied

7. Completely Good

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is?
I find university easier than my high school experience, so I guess that's why it seems like no big deal to me.

9. What skills do you believe would have better prepared you for the university experience?
Taking an AP Chem course isn't really a skill though it would have upped my average a bit since it was my lowest mark.

AP Courses, I took AP Calc and math 1ZA3 and 1ZB3 are incredibly easy as a result, 1ZC3 is still crazy though.

11. What essential university sill did you find most difficult to grasp?
After term 1 exams my sleeping schedule was severely messed and that carried over into term 2, causing me to miss a few morning classes (luckily just economics which I never attended anyway).

12. Would you participate in a program that taught all the aforementioned skills?
Learn to sleep? Sure why not.
13. Did you repeat any courses or do you plan on doing so in summer school? If so how many are they and why do you think you are doing so?
My parents would murder me if they had to shell out an extra half grand for a summer course, so nope, if I'm doing bad in a course I'll just study harder for the next test/exam (And always spend almost a full week studying before an exam).

SirPhil says thanks to Jman. for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 01:02 PM   #41
pirates01

Liked: 8 Times

Why the hell not.

Engineering

1. What was your High School Average (Top 6 Marks) when entering University? 82.5

2. How satisfied were you with your marks? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unsatisfied and seven (7) being completely satisfied.
(4) indifferent

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School? Please rank on a scale of one to 7, with one (1) being completely unprepared and seven (7) being completely prepared. Please circle the most appropriate response.
(2) Very unprepared

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now? Please pick the most appropriate response.
(1) Completely unprepared

5. What was your First Year Tem 1 average? 8 (Damn you eng 1p03. Damn you so much Without this, it would be 9.4)

(5) Somewhat satisfied

(5) somewhat good

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is? Please even just a few words would be an excellent answer in order to better equipping incoming First Years.
Figured my marks would drop, but it was ok. THOUGH, AFTER WATCHING AMERICAN PIE IN MY YOUNGER YEARS, IT WAS NOTHING LIKE I EXPECTED...

Integrals. Some programming language taught in high school. And a LOT more electricity/magnetism.

Nothing. If you're prepared, you're prepared. If not, then good luck.

11. What did they struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university sill did you find most difficult to grasp?
To remember to bring toilet paper to the bathroom, cause i have to resort to using cardboard (not on res).

Yes.

No. Can't afford to do so. Don't need to either.

SirPhil says thanks to pirates01 for this post.
Old 03-13-2011 at 04:02 PM   #42
nikJ

Liked: 85 Times

What Program are you in? Software Engineering

1. What was your High School Average (Top 6 Marks) when entering University? 94%

2. How satisfied were you with your marks? 7-Completely Satisfied

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School? 7-Completely Prepared

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now? 7-Completely Prepared

5. What was your First Year Tem 1 average? 11.2

6. How satisfied were you with your marks? 7-Completely Satisfied

7. How did you find the transition from grade 12 into First year? 6-Very Good

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is? Please even just a few words would be an excellent answer in order to better equipping incoming First Years. I am an international student. So the only thing that I wasn't well prepared for was taking effective notes.

Good note taking skills.

10. What advice do you have to give grade 12 students entering university which would help with their transition? Don't miss any classes however bad the professor is.

11. What did they struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university skill did you find most difficult to grasp? Non compulsory attendance makes me lazy and forces me to skip classes.

12. Would you participate in a program that taught all the aforementioned skills? No, I am happy with the way I am.

13. Did you repeat any courses or do you plan on doing so in summer school? If so how many are they and why do you think you are doing so? Nope

SirPhil says thanks to nikJ for this post.

macsci likes this.
Old 03-13-2011 at 04:50 PM   #43
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikJ View Post
What Program are you in? Software Engineering

1. What was your High School Average (Top 6 Marks) when entering University? 94%

2. How satisfied were you with your marks? 7-Completely Satisfied

3. How prepared for First Year did you feel when you left High School? 7-Completely Prepared

4. After your First Year experience, how well do you think your High School prepared you now? 7-Completely Prepared

5. What was your First Year Tem 1 average? 11.2

6. How satisfied were you with your marks? 7-Completely Satisfied

7. How did you find the transition from grade 12 into First year? 6-Very Good

8. Please describe why you think your response is the way it is? Please even just a few words would be an excellent answer in order to better equipping incoming First Years. I am an international student. So the only thing that I wasn't well prepared for was taking effective notes.

Good note taking skills.

10. What advice do you have to give grade 12 students entering university which would help with their transition? Don't miss any classes however bad the professor is.

11. What did they struggle with most during your adjustment? What essential university skill did you find most difficult to grasp? Non compulsory attendance makes me lazy and forces me to skip classes.

12. Would you participate in a program that taught all the aforementioned skills? No, I am happy with the way I am.

13. Did you repeat any courses or do you plan on doing so in summer school? If so how many are they and why do you think you are doing so? Nope
Where did you do high school, 11.2 is close to a 4.0 gpa good job

This thread was very helpful thanks man
Old 03-16-2011 at 02:16 PM   #44
SirPhil

Liked: 19 Times

Thanks for all the info so far guys. You've been really kind

teedee likes this.
Old 03-16-2011 at 09:03 PM   #45
staceygab
Campus Store

Liked: 97 Times

You may want to consider talking to someone in the Student Success Centre. They have a team dedicated to First Year Experience and Transitions... the may be able to provide some interesting data gathered from large groups of First Year Students and some insight to some of the common stumbling blocks and services available to students.

http://fye.mcmaster.ca/