MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tomorrows Football game Yakattack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-05-2010 10:10 PM
McMaster Football Game - Sept 26th 1PM - vs #7 Laurier Sammcmaster MacInsiders Announcements 56 10-04-2009 08:58 PM
Welcome Week Football Game Opener: McMaster vs Waterloo Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 09-07-2009 07:49 AM
opening mac football game mike_2133 General Discussion 4 09-13-2007 09:44 PM

Football Game

Old 09-07-2009 at 04:34 PM   #16
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

i was there part of the hedden crowd, we were definetly the loudest.

HOT 2 GO BABY!. Waterloo got absolutely rocked btw.
Old 09-07-2009 at 04:58 PM   #17
Jake

Liked: 107 Times

awesome game! mcmaster all the way! by the way the hamilton ti-cats are also beating toronto right now!

good football day in Hamilton
Old 09-07-2009 at 05:10 PM   #18
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

I didnt go because..:i forgot to wake up
Old 09-07-2009 at 05:13 PM   #19
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

It was a great game, and we kicked Waterloo's ass!

lorend likes this.
Old 09-07-2009 at 05:14 PM   #20
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

My boyfriend goes to waterloo....i shall be doing some bragging tonight!!:cheerleader :
Old 09-07-2009 at 06:17 PM   #21
samtheman89

Liked: 18 Times

Great game.

I hope for the next home game, they cordon off part of the stands for the marching band!

You could hear them faintly from outside the stadium...but it would be great if they were inside.

If you watch big-time NCAA football, you know that the marching band just adds SO much to the atmosphere.

Less music over the speakers, more marching band!

Holowacj, nogood205 all say thanks to samtheman89 for this post.

Holowacj, nogood205, _Luu_ like this.
Old 09-07-2009 at 07:54 PM   #22
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

I went for a little bit and I was told by a rep to sit on the stairs and move if anybody objected. Two minutes later, somebody objected.
I ended up sitting just slightly off centre, they were good seats but I found the height nauseating and thought I'd tip over and fall into the middle and the thumping and body heat wasn't helpful.
I left and I'm glad I did leave earlier on because despite being there for about 15 minutes, I've got a heat headache that's affecting my ears.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 09-07-2009 at 10:44 PM   #23
Joseph

Liked: 132 Times

I’m not much of a football fan, but I enjoyed this game a lot. There was a great atmosphere and best of all, we won!

Old 09-07-2009 at 11:56 PM   #24
Katia
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 36 Times

I was working at the Ticats football game ( hamiltons team)... and they won too so yay..
Old 09-08-2009 at 12:55 AM   #25
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

I HATE HATE football! It doesn't make sense to me a game where you stop every few minutes and then beefed up freaks batter each other :S No Skill, No Special effort, No Magic, No Hitting the Breaking Point with Fatigue though a few innovative/Interesting tactics I'll give them. Its Basically Glorified/Staged Warfare that appeals to basic human instinct!

Soccer is sooo much better, its only a pity that Mac Soccer is woeful every year; hopefully this year they might do better :(

I was with SocSci reps and still blew my Horn Contraption like a maniac though!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-08-2009 at 01:07 AM   #26
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

There's a lot of skill involved with football. Every player plays a specific role and they have to work together in order to win.

If you actually see how these guys think and play you would be amazed. They often play: If my teammate does this, then I have to roll away and do this.

It's not just throwing a ball, running and tackling.

Kevin S, Taunton all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.

Kevin S, lorend, pinkshuniza like this.
Old 09-08-2009 at 01:13 AM   #27
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There's a lot of skill involved with football. Every player plays a specific role and they have to work together in order to win.

If you actually see how these guys think and play you would be amazed. They often play: If my teammate does this, then I have to roll away and do this.

I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-08-2009 at 01:21 AM   #28
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 360 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post

Well there is obviously skill & thinking involved but its not the kind of game everyone can play you have to be sized like a freak to be able to play it at any decent level! Plus alot of what they do is pre-defined from the playbook they have no autonomy over what they want to do; Its Like McDonalds production line really :S

Also most importantly; Some people no matter how mentally smart or skilled with their hands they get will never be able to play this game if they are like 120 pounds and 5 foot 6 by nature simply because they will get flattened by a 300 pound linesman or DB/TB.

Like Soccer for example is the worlds most famous sport because it can be played by anyone and everyone! No Restrictions! Even at Mac I've seen 200 pound guys who can play as good as anyone in the same field with a 100 pound tiny/thin guy!

Plus a Scrimmage is a Scrimmage, In Soccer no goal is ever the same; every game someone comes up with a new piece of skill! Freedom and Improvisation! Football is all about that playbook and doing a cookie cutter job; Some people in the team all they do is block one person the entire game because that's all they are allowed/supposed to do! Then these two guys who set up/kick the ball and that's ALL they do! :S

I dunno; I'm clearly biased but there is a reason why Soccer is the most played sport in the world! But it has a bad reputation in North America because the MLS is worse then a third division in Europe and far tooo many girls play it and hence guys are apparently demotivated against it :S

Plus even as far as contact sports go Rugby actually has no helmets/Shoulder Pads and has a similar level of full on contact; which makes it even more dangerous/hardcore! Plus our Rugby team is best in Ontario for like a Decade; yet almost NO one comes to most of their games comparitively(I went to most of Soccer & Rugby Games last year whenever I didn't have intramurals!) :S

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 09-08-2009 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2009 at 01:34 AM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Sometimes quaterbacks will call their own plays and have the wide receivers run different routes.

I agree that most players have to be big and tall, more so in the NFL than the CFL though. But running backs don't have to be tall, they just have to build themselves. So technically a normal person, like 5'6" or 5'8", play that position.

There are a lot of "special" plays in football as well. Gadget plays are rare, but can be so awesome.

The holder doesn't JUST hold the ball for the kicker. The kicker doesn't only kick field goals, some of them punt and do the kickoff. There are some VERY versatile players in the game that can play multiple positions.

I do agree that most of the plays are the same, shotgun, play action, running and screen passes (I think those are the most common), but there are a lot of options within each play and players run different routes.

Soccer is the most played sport in the world because it's a poor man's sport. All you need is a ball and a net (which can be made out of anything). It would be impossible for people from third world countries and developing countries to afford the costs of all the equipment.
Old 09-08-2009 at 07:45 AM   #30
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times

Who cares if you hate sports or football? It's not about being a big fan.. it's about supporting your school. It's about pride and having fun. If you're an athlete, you rally behind the support and playing in front of a crowd is an amazing feeling and every voice helps.

So on for the next home game ( Sept 26th i think) it doesn't matter if you're a sports or football fan...go out and support your team!

mgallant, Taunton like this.