MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Tomorrows Football game Yakattack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-05-2010 10:10 PM
Football Game niteskie General Discussion 34 09-10-2009 03:39 PM
Welcome Week Football Game Opener: McMaster vs Waterloo Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 09-07-2009 07:49 AM
Marauder football home opener Sept 7th!! dabulls General Discussion 4 08-22-2009 09:44 PM
opening mac football game mike_2133 General Discussion 4 09-13-2007 09:44 PM

McMaster Football Game - Sept 26th 1PM - vs #7 Laurier

McMaster Football Game vs #7 Laurier: Sept 26th @ 1PM

Does anyone remember back in Frosh week when Mac stomped Waterloo at the Home Opene?. Yea you're right! That was fun! Well anyways, the football team is finally back at home and playing Laurier, a team they haven't beaten in 8 years. Saturday's game is the most significant football game at McMaster in years.

For this we need to attract as many students as possible and coordinate them to make as much noise as possible when Laurier is on offense (and to be quiet when we are on offense). This is actually how fans make a difference by making it impossible for the other team to hear on offense.

Wilfrid Laurier is ranked #7 in the country while McMaster remains unranked.

McMaster has not defeated Wilfrid Laurier in 8 games which spans 5 conference games and 3 playoff contests.

McMaster last defeated Wilfrid Laurier in the 2003 Yates Cup by a score of 41-15 as McMaster captured their fourth consecutive Yates Cup.

We have not defeated Laurier since September 25, 2004 when the #7 ranked Laurier Golden Hawks stunned the #2 ranked Marauders as Laurier kicker, Brian Devlin nailed a 27 yard last minute field goal to defeat McMaster 34-33 on national television on the Score.

The Laurier win snapped a McMaster 39 game conference winning streak that spanned almost 4 years. The game was played at Wilfrid Laurier in front of 6,641 Homecoming fans and those fans made a huge difference.

Of note, Wilfrid Laurier also entered into the Guinness book of world records on that day for simultaneous use of a whoopee cushion in support of the Kidney Foundation of Canada on that day. When Laurier won, the students flooded the field like when the won the Vanier Cup.

Wilfrid Laurier has not played on the McMaster University campus since September 28, 2002 (That is 7 years less 2 days next Saturday). The last time McMaster played Laurier on campus, McMaster won the game 43-23.

All MSU staff are wearing shirts with the slogan "Our Beaks are Bigger". Keep your eyes posted and to pick up one visit the ShortStop in the David Braley Athletic Centre.

There's a Facebook page for more info. Tickets on sale at Compass.

It should be a fun week filled with plenty of anticipation.

See you at the game,
Sam
Published by
Staff - McMaster Athletics & Recreation

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 09-22-2009 at 08:45 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Someone please tell me why our mascot is named Sam.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 09-22-2009 at 09:39 PM   #3
Kathy2
Elite Member
Year: Other

Liked: 529 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Someone please tell me why our mascot is named Sam.
Our mascot's name is Marauder ..?
Old 09-23-2009 at 06:14 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 507 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
Our mascot's name is Marauder ..?

Our Mascot is named Sam, not Marauder.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 09-23-2009 at 07:45 AM   #5
Phoenix
Program: History
Year: Fifth

Liked: 52 Times
so pumped!!!
Old 09-23-2009 at 09:44 AM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member
Program: Life Science & Geographic Information Systems
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 598 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Our Mascot is named Sam, not Marauder.
LOL, I think the name is just random... like the former Montreal Expos/Current Montreal Canadiens mascot Youppi... he's a big orange "thing", and the name is just as random.

That's probably the best explanation I can think of... although I can say that if I were to be in charge of naming the mascot, I'd probably go with alliteration like "Marvin the Maurader" :p
Old 09-23-2009 at 12:07 PM   #7
adrian
Elite Member
Program: Software Engineering
Year: McMaster Employee

Liked: 143 Times
me thinks you need some huge speakers, not fans
Old 09-23-2009 at 01:13 PM   #8
Sammcmaster
Faculty: Arts & Science
Year: Second

Liked: 10 Times
Big speakers? what do you mean?!
no idea is a bad idea!
Old 09-23-2009 at 03:24 PM   #9
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammcmaster View Post
Big speakers? what do you mean?!
no idea is a bad idea!
well if you need fans to make noise to disctract the other players, wouldn't it be better to get A HARD ROCK band with TONS of HUGE SPEAKERS to confuse them. Also, make it pitch dark and give ur guys some night vision goggles, that'll give you an advantage too.

Or you could try using your players' skills. Up to you I guess.

Taunton likes this.
Old 09-23-2009 at 04:25 PM   #10
dabulls
Year: Other

Liked: 14 Times
I'll be there. We need a good crowd. Labour day's was AWESOME.

Mac hasn't played Laurier at home in 6 years and they haven't beaten them in 5. Our team lost badly there last year.

My sources tell me that Lauriers Quarterback is suffering from an ACL injury.

We need to support our team!

Tickets are FIVE (5) BUCKS! No excuses

It doesn't matter if you like football or not- throw on some maroon and gray and get your butt out to Ron Joyce Stadium on Saturday!

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-23-2009 at 06:45 PM   #11
Sammcmaster
Year: Second

Liked: 10 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
well if you need fans to make noise to disctract the other players, wouldn't it be better to get A HARD ROCK band with TONS of HUGE SPEAKERS to confuse them. Also, make it pitch dark and give ur guys some night vision goggles, that'll give you an advantage too.

Or you could try using your players' skills. Up to you I guess.
That's a really great idea. Laval actually used to do that years ago and to prepare for games a few years ago, Mac used to bring in loud speakers to prepare for those games. However with the new noise rules, there can't be any artificial noise from speakers or even the band when the ball is in play. That basically means it just has to be fans yelling!
Keep the good ideas rolling though! you're thinking... i like that!

Will you be coming to the game to see if any of these traditions can be started?!
Sam
Old 09-23-2009 at 06:49 PM   #12
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.
Program: Commerce
Year: Third
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 1,373 Times
So is it 5 years or 8 years since Mac's beaten laurier?

And why does it matter if Laurier can hear or not? Or do you mean make a lot of noise while they're deciding which strategy to use. But if you mean while they're actually playing, someone has to explain that to me.

Note: I use strategy 'cause I don't know the official word for that huddle thing.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-23-2009 at 07:12 PM   #13
adrian
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammcmaster View Post
That's a really great idea. Laval actually used to do that years ago and to prepare for games a few years ago, Mac used to bring in loud speakers to prepare for those games. However with the new noise rules, there can't be any artificial noise from speakers or even the band when the ball is in play. That basically means it just has to be fans yelling!
Keep the good ideas rolling though! you're thinking... i like that!

Will you be coming to the game to see if any of these traditions can be started?!
Sam
some other ideas for ya: give out free aerosol horns to marauders fans only(maybe have someone bring a large speaker that makes the same sound as the horns so noone knows it was a speaker).
Set up large flashing lights directed towards the other team.
aim microwave beam at the quarterback and he won't be able to throw as his skin starts feeling hot
put helium in the ball, might catch the other team by surprise.
Could get a guy run around copying people's voices and using ventriloquism so the other team gets confused as to what they are supposed to do.

Or you could use the team's skills I guess. Up to you guys.

Last edited by adrian : 09-23-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2009 at 10:30 PM   #14
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013
MSU Staff
Program: PoliSci & Sociology with Econ Minor
Residence: SOCS!

Liked: 361 Times
Lol the only reason I'm not attending is because any forms of trumpets/airhorns/instruments are outlawed! Hence no comeback of my epic 2hours+ a day constant blowing of the Mini plastic Vuvuzela's! Arguably the best atmosphere in the world for team sports is at South American Or European(Mostly Eastern and Turkish) soccer games(youtube football factories) And the fan's there bring in a plethora of horns, drums and other devices ALONG with loud rabid fans!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Old 09-23-2009 at 10:40 PM   #15
Phoenix
Program: History
Year: Fifth

Liked: 52 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post

And why does it matter if Laurier can hear or not? Or do you mean make a lot of noise while they're deciding which strategy to use. But if you mean while they're actually playing, someone has to explain that to me.
Well when Laurier is on offense, they usually huddle and the QB tells the offensive group what play to run, so if we are making alot of noise, then they cant hear the QB properly. It worked with Waterloo a little haha.

We are 0-8 against Laurier since 2002 I believe, but they have never played at Ron Joyce Stadium, so itll be great to break that streak. Make sure everyone hits up the tailgate party at 1280, cheap food, shirts, drinks and the Maroons will be on the patio decking everyone out in paint!

MAROON AND GREY ALL THE WAY!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search