MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Tomorrows Football game Yakattack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-05-2010 10:10 PM
Football Game niteskie General Discussion 34 09-10-2009 03:39 PM
Welcome Week Football Game Opener: McMaster vs Waterloo Chad MacInsiders Announcements 12 09-07-2009 07:49 AM
Marauder football home opener Sept 7th!! dabulls General Discussion 4 08-22-2009 09:44 PM
opening mac football game mike_2133 General Discussion 4 09-13-2007 09:44 PM

McMaster Football Game - Sept 26th 1PM - vs #7 Laurier

Old 09-23-2009 at 10:53 PM   #15
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times
Let's show Laurier that this is our house! They plan on bringing a lot of fans so let's show them how many fans we can bring out and also how much Mac spirit we all have.

Old 09-24-2009 at 04:24 PM   #16
Phoenix

Liked: 52 Times
Grab your shirts from Shortstop!

Old 09-24-2009 at 05:16 PM   #17
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 392 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Well when Laurier is on offense, they usually huddle and the QB tells the offensive group what play to run, so if we are making alot of noise, then they cant hear the QB properly. It worked with Waterloo a little haha.
Kinda, but not really.

It has to do with the snap count.

Basically, when the QB makes the play call, he accompanies it with a snap count, or a verbal warning of what he's going to say when he actually wants the ball snapped to him. To visualize this, think of any football movie/tv show. The QB, in the huddle will be like, "Shotgun, slants 88, on three" and then when he is taking the snap, he'll be like "hut, hut, hut" and on the third "hut" (or whatever) the ball will be snapped, and the players will know to run their routes/blocking assignments etc.

The point of this is so that the offense players get a bit of a headstart because they know the ball is about to get into play, while the defensive players have no idea and anticipate based on instinct etc. It matters a lot of receivers because a lot of plays are drawn up in such a manner that a QB is going to put the ball in a predetermined spot, and wants the receiver there at the right time.

If we, the fans, are very loud while on defence, there is a much higher likelihood of the offensive players screwing up because they can't hear the snap count. This could mean they jump the play and go offside, it could mean that they mistime their route, it could mean that the secondary has that split second where they can adjust to the play etc.

Basically we all need to become VERY disciplined at that so that it's tough to play at Ron Joyce Stadium for opposing teams.

Last edited by deadpool : 09-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Old 09-24-2009 at 05:27 PM   #18
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
Kinda, but not really.

It has to do with the snap count.

Basically, when the QB makes the play call, he accompanies it with a snap count, or a verbal warning of what he's going to say when he actually wants the ball snapped to him. To visualize this, think of any football movie/tv show. The QB, in the huddle will be like, "Shotgun, slants 88, on three" and then when he is taking the snap, he'll be like "hut, hut, hut" and on the third "hut" (or whatever) the ball will be snapped, and the players will know to run their routes/blocking assignments etc.

The point of this is so that the offense players get a bit of a headstart because they know the ball is about to get into play, while the defensive players have no idea and anticipate based on instinct etc. It matters a lot of receivers because a lot of plays are drawn up in such a manner that a QB is going to put the ball in a predetermined spot, and wants the receiver there at the right time.

If we, the fans, are very loud while on defence, there is a much higher likelihood of the offensive players screwing up because they can't hear the snap count. This could mean they jump the play and go offside, it could mean that they mistime their route, it could mean that the secondary has that split second where they can adjust to the play etc.

Basically we all need to become VERY disciplined at that so that it's tough to play at Ron Joyce Stadium for opposing teams.
I understand the concept, I just don't understand why.

I don't really like sports, but if I did, I could imagine watching it because of the sheer talent that goes into it and I would like to see EVERYONE play amazingly well. I don't see the point in trying to make your team win by just trying to distract the other team. o_O

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-24-2009 at 05:34 PM   #19
deadpool
X-Man

That's the beauty of the snap count. It could be VERY beneficial to the offense, but it comes with the disadvantage that a lot of offensive players get very accustomed to hearing the count, and are not as good with visual cues, so when there is a loud stadium, it could work against them.

A lot of sports are pretty simple in terms of strategy. Football is VERY strategic, and that's what makes it so interesting. Players need to be mindful of the tactics being used by the other team because of the multitude in ways that the offense can advance the ball, and the different patterns of coverage and rush that the defense can use.

There's a reason that football quarterbacks are so highly prized. Good ones have to be extremely analytical and intelligent in addition to being very good athletes.

Old 09-24-2009 at 05:36 PM   #20
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpool View Post
That's the beauty of the snap count. It could be VERY beneficial to the offense, but it comes with the disadvantage that a lot of offensive players get very accustomed to hearing the count, and are not as good with visual cues, so when there is a loud stadium, it could work against them.

A lot of sports are pretty simple in terms of strategy. Football is VERY strategic, and that's what makes it so interesting. Players need to be mindful of the tactics being used by the other team because of the multitude in ways that the offense can advance the ball, and the different patterns of coverage and rush that the defense can use.

There's a reason that football quarterbacks are so highly prized. Good ones have to be extremely analytical and intelligent in addition to being very good athletes.
Exactly.

So why not sit back, relax, and enjoy the game? If it takes so much skill like you say (I'm not doubting it), I would think that people would just want to watch and appreciate the skill. Not try to win over something so trivial.

Old 09-24-2009 at 05:54 PM   #21
deadpool
X-Man

Every little thing matters. I mean, I see your point but in the end it's all tied into the culture of football. Stadiums are ranked on toughness based on how loud fans are etc. Just the craziness that is sports.

Old 09-24-2009 at 06:57 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
some other ideas for ya: give out free aerosol horns to marauders fans only(maybe have someone bring a large speaker that makes the same sound as the horns so noone knows it was a speaker).
Set up large flashing lights directed towards the other team.
aim microwave beam at the quarterback and he won't be able to throw as his skin starts feeling hot
put helium in the ball, might catch the other team by surprise.
Could get a guy run around copying people's voices and using ventriloquism so the other team gets confused as to what they are supposed to do.

Or you could use the team's skills I guess. Up to you guys.
Even better idea: http://perezhilton.com/2009-09-24-al...s-ones-for-you

Go to 2:28.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

niteskie likes this.

Old 09-24-2009 at 07:05 PM   #23
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I just watched that episode today. XD This show's pretty good.

Old 09-24-2009 at 07:48 PM   #24
adrian
Elite Member

Liked: 143 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
lol nice

Old 09-25-2009 at 06:58 AM   #25
dabulls

Liked: 14 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawleypop View Post
Exactly.

So why not sit back, relax, and enjoy the game? If it takes so much skill like you say (I'm not doubting it), I would think that people would just want to watch and appreciate the skill. Not try to win over something so trivial.

Although sports isn't all about winning, winning is a huge part of it.

If it wasn't, there wouldn't be the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, Olympics or in our case the Yates and Vanier cups.

Sports is about competing at higher levels. Unfortunately, you can not have two winners.

Too many people sports aren't trivial. They are a way of life, a past time. If they weren't championships such as the Grey Cup, Stanley Cup, and Super Bowl wouldn't be consistently the highest rated shows year after year.

People have favourite teams. They have spirit and pride when it comes to their school, city, or their favourite team for whatever reason they cheer for that team.

Sports are about winning. This isn't timbits hockey anymore.

People want to cheer for a winner. Believe me, playing in front of a big crowd helps motivate you. It gives you the extra adrenaline that can push you past your opponent.

So come out, enjoy the beauty of the game, but make some noise when Laurier has the ball or when Mac makes a big play and help cheer on the Marauders.

If you want to watch a league that doesn't focus on winning, turn off your tv, ignore all aspects of professional, university,highschool , and elementary school athletic leagues and go find a local timbits hockey league where the goal is making new friends.

Come out- support the Marauders who haven't beat Laurier since the Yates cup in 2003.

Old 09-25-2009 at 07:31 AM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabulls View Post
Although sports isn't all about winning, winning is a huge part of it.

If it wasn't, there wouldn't be the Stanley Cup, Super Bowl, World Series, Olympics or in our case the Yates and Vanier cups.

Sports is about competing at higher levels. Unfortunately, you can not have two winners.

Too many people sports aren't trivial. They are a way of life, a past time. If they weren't championships such as the Grey Cup, Stanley Cup, and Super Bowl wouldn't be consistently the highest rated shows year after year.

People have favourite teams. They have spirit and pride when it comes to their school, city, or their favourite team for whatever reason they cheer for that team.

Sports are about winning. This isn't timbits hockey anymore.

People want to cheer for a winner. Believe me, playing in front of a big crowd helps motivate you. It gives you the extra adrenaline that can push you past your opponent.

So come out, enjoy the beauty of the game, but make some noise when Laurier has the ball or when Mac makes a big play and help cheer on the Marauders.

If you want to watch a league that doesn't focus on winning, turn off your tv, ignore all aspects of professional, university,highschool , and elementary school athletic leagues and go find a local timbits hockey league where the goal is making new friends.

Come out- support the Marauders who haven't beat Laurier since the Yates cup in 2003.
I never once said it wasn't about winning. You just went off on a huge sphiel on something I didn't even imply. You're preaching to the choir here. I grew up with the saying "I don't mind losing, I'd just rather die."

My point is (which I think you missed) is that a game should be won by sheer talent and skill and strategy. If the only way "your team" can win is by your crowd trying to distract the other team, then as I said before, I don't see the point.

And don't worry, I already turn off my tv and stay oblivious to all sporting events. Thank you for the suggestion, though.

Also, if I missed a part or didn't address something, it's cause I'm on my phone and I can't see the entire post.

Old 09-25-2009 at 08:54 AM   #27
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for MBC (McMaster Breakdance Club) on your way into the stadium. We've been hired again to provide some pre-game entertainment to people standing in line. (: (We were there during Frosh Week too, but we were put in kind of a crappy area due to poor planning...this time should be better)

I dunno if I'll personally be there unfortunately (maybe, maybe not)...I have a schedule conflict and am still deciding which event to attend. But either way it'll be nice to see. (:

Old 09-25-2009 at 09:07 AM   #28
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Be sure to keep your eyes peeled for MBC (McMaster Breakdance Club) on your way into the stadium. We've been hired again to provide some pre-game entertainment to people standing in line. (: (We were there during Frosh Week too, but we were put in kind of a crappy area due to poor planning...this time should be better)

I dunno if I'll personally be there unfortunately (maybe, maybe not)...I have a schedule conflict and am still deciding which event to attend. But either way it'll be nice to see. (:
YOU BREAKDaNCE??

Omg wtf lol

Old 09-25-2009 at 01:07 PM   #29
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times
lol...I sure do. I'm not promising it's good, but I do. xD

(To be precise, I'm more into an artform called 'popping' which most people mistakenly call breakdancing, and is close enough to be practiced in the club...I'm not very agile, and hence not good at the really spinny, impressive moves. lol)

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search