MacInsiders Logo

Fraternities and Sororities

Old 12-08-2008 at 12:18 PM   #16
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
I'm going to have to go ahead and say that youre wrong - its not the college experience.

And its University up here.

Personally, getting involved in clubs like Engineering and Society, groups like Engineering Musical and Redsuits has given me more lifelong friends than anything else would have. (Like being thrown together with people semi-randomly - hey that sounds a lot like rez.. from which i have very few friends..)
Yeah well you have clubs I agree but you won't still have them after univerisity ends right? I mean you won't still be in Mac Engineering in say 2020...

But you'll be in say an Alpha Chi Omega in 2020.

Trust me, Greek life is more fun than clubs.
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:19 PM   #17
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Why would I want to be?

Plus ill be able to say I was part of that tradition, its not like it goes away.

Trust me, Clubs are way awesome, and I dont need your Greek life.
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:23 PM   #18
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Why would I want to be?

Plus ill be able to say I was part of that tradition, its not like it goes away.

Trust me, Clubs are way awesome, and I dont need your Greek life.
I am not part of the Greek System. So techincally its not my greek life yet.
Well I guess maybe the scene in Canada is different...

USA = Greek >>>>>>> Clubs

Canada = Greek ???????? Clubs
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:25 PM   #19
micadjems
Awesome Member

How do you even know that about the states? From your tv shows?

Canada - nobody even realises they exist apparently

I really just want to end this discussion. So how about we agree that people will do what they find most worthwhile and fun.
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:29 PM   #20
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
How do you even know that about the states? From your tv shows?

Canada - nobody even realises they exist apparently

I really just want to end this discussion. So how about we agree that people will do what they find most worthwhile and fun.
Agreed. It's not like I'm imposing my viewpoint on them. They can do whatever they want.

And well...TV Shows??? LOL...

I've actually experienced the Greek Scene at a University in the States. So I guess my knowledge is a little better than a person who'd be watching it on TV.
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:34 PM   #21
micadjems
Awesome Member

I assumed because you earlier referenced it as your source.

Congratulations, you have been to a greek thing in the states.

...why didnt you just go to a university in the states then?
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:36 PM   #22
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
I assumed because you earlier referenced it as your source.

Congratulations, you have been to a greek thing in the states.

...why didnt you just go to a university in the states then?
Because I did not know about the non-existent Greek scene in Canada?
Also no college in the states had Game Designing at undergrad level?
*shrugs*
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:45 PM   #23
micadjems
Awesome Member

Hey, theres always time to switch!

I'm really not too fond of your attitude - you really sound a lot like a child.

I understand you like the game designing, but if theres so much you hate (general first year, electives, lack of SUPERAWESOMEFRATSWOOO OOOOOOO!) maybe you shouldnt be here.
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:52 PM   #24
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

OK, since I am an active member of both clubs/societies and Greek life, I think my opinion valid here.

aj-maxx you're right no club/society can give you what you get from a Fraternity. I am the President of the McMaster Science Society and I have made life long friends from it (actually how I was recruited to Phi Delta Theta). The difference is that in a fraternity/sorority when you come back after "x" amount of years your welcomed with opened arms by the current members. I know in 5 years none of the Scicos who are going to be mac will know who I am or what I did for the society. It may be different with the redsuits though. In my opinion you'll take away friends from both, but the fraternity will continue to give you friends for the rest of your life (or as long as you choose).

Aaron

p.s. the "frat guy" or "frat boy" is kinda offensive but I won't hold it against you.
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:55 PM   #25
micadjems
Awesome Member

I'm going to have to challenge that: how will the frat people know who you are or what you did either?

I know old redsuits, old SP's, WP's and stuff come back and we're like, hey! awesome!

And with EngMusical former directors, choreographers, and just members of cast crew and band come back and we bond over similar things that happened.

I gotta say I dont think its better!
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:57 PM   #26
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
I'm going to have to challenge that: how will the frat people know who you are or what you did either?

I know old redsuits, old SP's, WP's and stuff come back and we're like, hey! awesome!

And with EngMusical former directors, choreographers, and just members of cast crew and band come back and we bond over similar things that happened.

I gotta say I dont think its better!
See but now you're comparing engineers to science students, apples to oranges (BRING ON THE FACULTY WARS POST =P)
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:59 PM   #27
micadjems
Awesome Member

Haha this is true - but our traditions do go farther back - jumpsuits was a reds thing first.

I guess we're just more tradition-based? I dont really know about other faculties too much, but i know that we have huge respect for the people that got it to here, you know?
Old 12-08-2008 at 12:59 PM   #28
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Hey, theres always time to switch!

I'm really not too fond of your attitude - you really sound a lot like a child.

I understand you like the game designing, but if theres so much you hate (general first year, electives, lack of SUPERAWESOMEFRATSWOOO OOOOOOO!) maybe you shouldnt be here.
Yes, I do hate a lot of things about Mac. But you know I also love Game Designing A LOT! And if that means I have to stay at a university that has a shitty general first year and lack of greek life I'll do it. And for the record, I never said I hate electives.
Old 12-08-2008 at 01:03 PM   #29
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

Well I kinda thought that it was like that with the redsuits and stuff in engineering, hence why I said it may be different. All I was trying to do was give a fair perception of both groups. I hope you didn't take offense.

p.s. I love my scicos and brother equally..... mad love!
Old 12-08-2008 at 01:08 PM   #30
micadjems
Awesome Member

I just feel like its pretty much the same thing - and theres probably way more reds than frat brothers on campus! (especially since most of us havent even heard of this!)

Its the same that if im ever hiring, and i see someone was a red, or in eng musical, or anything like that, you know i'm going to be like hey, this person knows whats up, let's chat and stuff. theres the same kind of connection. believe me!

and see there you go, you love them equally XD