micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Damn you all! haha
Old 12-09-2008 at 09:06 PM   #62
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

Hey Everyone

So I'll start by answering Sabina's question about Greek philosophy. I'm going to confirm this, but I believe the men in Phi Beta Kappa wanted to base there lives off the principles as the Greek philosophers, hence the ideal was "past" on to other Fraternities. I'll post more when I check out my pledge manual. However Dustin and wikipedia are right, pretty much in most fraternities all that is left of the Greek ideals is the name and motto.

Second to get more information of the Fraternities here at McMaster/Hamilton, you can go to mcmaster.phideltathet a.org (or private message me) or to get info on Alpha Eplison Pi mesage Dustin, or Noam.

Third as for what is being taught in classes here at Mac, it does not represent Phi Delta Theta (or from what I have seen in AEPi either). Since I imagine the horrible things you are talking about is hazing, I can ensure you that does not happen in most chapters and that there are outside organizations that govern over Fraternities to pervent these events from occurring. Can you please tell me what class that was taught in???

I really like that there is so much interest in this topic.

Aaron
Old 12-09-2008 at 09:41 PM   #63
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by micadjems View Post
Damn you all! haha
Hey!

Here's 10 seconds of your life you're not getting back!

You just couldn't help yourself, could you?
Old 12-09-2008 at 09:53 PM   #64
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

You're so mean, wintermelon. XD

Though I'm not exactly helping~
Old 12-09-2008 at 10:52 PM   #65
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Teehee

Okay, last one

Last edited by wintermelon : 12-09-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2008 at 02:24 AM   #66
CoutureGirl

Liked: 0 Times

Ok.......
that was 7 very long pages of me reading people arguing about the Greek system. Haha..
The reason I asked why Mac wont recognize sororities is because I'm currently in a 'local sorority' at Mac..(yes, it does exist!) and some of the new members (myself included) were just trying to see how people feel about the Greek system..

and I read up about how a previous President of MSU chose not to recognize frats/sororities because they 'exclude' people and can't 'guarantee' anyone to join..
and the example he made was saying how if there was a group called "Chinese Christians"..that group has to guarantee that anyone could become a member..but seriously, would someone who's NOT a CHINESE CHRISTIAN even join that group?
..cuz that would defeat the purpose of the group and the name itself.

and a lot of people wouldn't even consider joining a sorority or fraternity even if they knew it existed, so how can the school 'refuse' to recognize the frats/sororities without even giving them the chance to prove that they may/may not exclude people?

FYI, frats/sororities are NOTHING like animal house.
Old 12-12-2008 at 08:44 AM   #67
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Well they just innately do, as only girls can join sororities, and only boys can join fraternities.

...and I really like having a lot of guys for friends. Less drama. Hence.. the engineering!

So I think I might want to join a frat.

But I wouldnt be allowed to.
Old 12-12-2008 at 01:17 PM   #68
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Agreed micadjems. They're gender-based, and for that matter normative gender-based. So if you aren't male you can't be in a fraternaty, and if you're not female you can't be in a sorority. There are FIVE genders, NOT TWO so you're automatically going to be excluded.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-12-2008 at 04:01 PM   #69
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
There are FIVE genders, NOT TWO so you're automatically going to be excluded.
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are the other three?
Old 12-12-2008 at 04:12 PM   #70
Strongwiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what are the other three?

Yah, Thats what i was thinking!!!!
Old 12-12-2008 at 04:20 PM   #71
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

You two are thinking of "SEX" as in biological, not GENDER as in chosen. I am a woman because I choose to be, I am a female because I was born that way. There are people who are born male but identify as female, etc.

Old 12-12-2008 at 04:25 PM   #72
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

This segment from NOVA explains it all...

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-13-2008 at 02:47 AM   #73
bauhaual

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
You two are thinking of "SEX" as in biological, not GENDER as in chosen. I am a woman because I choose to be, I am a female because I was born that way. There are people who are born male but identify as female, etc.
Oh man... Flashback to the women's studies exam i wrote on tuesday! haha
Old 12-13-2008 at 10:38 AM   #74
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

lol I have NEVER taken a Womens Studies class. The idea of a class room full of femeninists scares the crap out of me! No offense to any feminists out there.

Old 12-13-2008 at 02:50 PM   #75
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Agreed micadjems. They're gender-based, and for that matter normative gender-based. So if you aren't male you can't be in a fraternaty, and if you're not female you can't be in a sorority. There are FIVE genders, NOT TWO so you're automatically going to be excluded.
I completely understand your point and that is the reason that McMaster does not ASSOCIATE with Greek Life groups. It is old fashioned that the groups remain sex biased (yes I do mean sex not gender). Many fraternity men have gone on in life to discover many things about themselves, and I can say that nothing that any of my brothers could tell me is going to change the bond we share (which is not gender biased).