MacInsiders Logo

Fraternities and Sororities

Old 12-08-2008 at 10:40 PM   #46
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

i find it really interesting that it's Greek life... but in Latin, "Frater" is brother, "Soror" is sister... latin being Roman as opposed to Greek, of course.

that being said, Greek Life does sound really interesting, how does one go about getting more information?
Old 12-08-2008 at 10:59 PM   #47
dustman

Liked: 1 Time

Why Greek Letters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokosas View Post
Question for Noam and Aaron, as frat members perhaps you can shed some light on this for me:

As a Classics major I find that there is nothing in common between actual Greek culture (whether ancient or modern) and the fraternity/sorority. So I'm wondering, where did the idea of "Greek Life" come from? Why use Greek letters?
The idea of fraternities and sororities being "Greek" organizations originated in 1776, with the fraternity Phi Beta Kappa, which is now an honor society. They chose the letters based on a secret Greek motto and were the first to start the tradition of fraternities/sororities using Greek letters in their names. I guess it really has nothing to do with Greek culture, other than the fact that there are Greek letters.

In fact, there are even fraternities that don't use Greek letters in their names (such as Acacia, FarmHouse, and Triangle).

Hope this helped!

Dustin Shulman
AEPi - Eta Omicron (Hamilton Ontario)
Old 12-08-2008 at 11:23 PM   #48
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well... if you ask me, about fraternities/sororities that is, I think it's just a club that excludes most types of people and includes a certain type of person.

I haven't learned this from American TV shows, but in class (here at Mac) that fraternities, at least in the states engage in some really horrifying things... things that aren't PG-13 enough for this forum.

I'm sure fraternities/sororities promote lots of lifelong friendships, but that's pretty much what all clubs and university life is partly about anyway. I don't want to be a debby downer, but fraternities sound really.. well, not great. But kudos to those who do enjoy those sort of clubs, go with what makes you happy.
Old 12-08-2008 at 11:40 PM   #49
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevitin View Post
According to Wikipedia:

The names of North American fraternities and sororities generally consist of two or three Greek letters, often the initials of a Greek motto. For this reason, fraternities and sororities are often referred to as "Greek," as seen in phrases such as Greek community, Greek system, and Greek life. Members of fraternities and sororities are called "Greeks". An individual fraternity or sorority is often called a Greek house or simply house (distinct from physical buildings known as fraternity and sorority houses, which are maintained by some but not all groups).
The use of Greek letters started with Phi Beta Kappa (then a social fraternity and today an honor society) at the College of William & Mary. Several groups, however, do not use Greek letters. Examples include Acacia, FarmHouse, and Triangle, as well as eating clubs and secret societies at some Ivy League colleges, such as Skull and Bones at Yale.

It seems its origins really are just the tendency of the first Sororities and Fraternities to hide their secret motto's under Greek-lettered initials.
Hehe, thanks. In retrospect I guess I could have looked it up too, but thanks for taking the time out

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
Greeks never wore togas, actually.

Greeks did actually. It was called a himation and was worn over top of a regular tunic, it was generally a more practical garmet as it was warmer but it could also be seen as a status symbol because the common layman would not be able to wear such a cumbersome garmet. It's not what you would usually think of a 'toga' but it's similiar. It's like turn of the century English women: if they had soft white hands it meant they didn't have to work for their living, similiar idea. Romans wore togas or a stola (women's version) which is, in a practical sense, the same idea only worn differently. There was, I believe, more fabric involved in the toga. Like the himation the toga could and often did serve as a status symbol.

That's your history lesson for the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevennevets View Post
i find it really interesting that it's Greek life... but in Latin, "Frater" is brother, "Soror" is sister... latin being Roman as opposed to Greek, of course.
True said Steven! I think this just comes from a blending of ancient history. When one doesn't learn the specifics of each culture it's easy to blend them into each other. The Romans did borrow a lot from the Greeks after all!

Last edited by kokosas : 12-08-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2008 at 01:17 AM   #50
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Greeks did actually. It was called a himation and was worn over top of a regular tunic, it was generally a more practical garmet as it was warmer but it could also be seen as a status symbol because the common layman would not be able to wear such a cumbersome garmet. It's not what you would usually think of a 'toga' but it's similiar. It's like turn of the century English women: if they had soft white hands it meant they didn't have to work for their living, similiar idea. Romans wore togas or a stola (women's version) which is, in a practical sense, the same idea only worn differently. There was, I believe, more fabric involved in the toga. Like the himation the toga could and often did serve as a status symbol.
Huh?

What I got from that was, "the Greeks did wear togas, only they weren't togas". As I understand it, a toga is a toga by virtue of being Roman. It's like saying sandals and flip-flops are the same thing...they're both type of open footwear, but sandals are not flip flops.

Last edited by wintermelon : 12-09-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2008 at 02:08 AM   #51
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Quote:
Huh?

What I got from that was, "the Greeks did wear togas, only they weren't togas". As I understand it, a toga is a toga by virtue of being Roman. It's like saying sandals and flip-flops are the same thing...they're both type of open footwear, but sandals are not flip flops.
I hereby call WAY off-topic
Old 12-09-2008 at 10:34 AM   #52
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Huh?

Danny is right, WAAY off topic, but still, I'm going to answer.

The Romans borrowed pretty much everything off of someone else. The Greeks wore what many people would consider a type of toga, it is very similar to what the Romans wore, but not completely the same. Like with everything else, the Romans borrowed it, changed it a bit to make it their own and then declared theirs as superior.

So the lesson from all that? Yes, Greeks wore togas, they just weren't exactly the same kind of toga that you're thinking of. There are variations of things, the 'togas' that people wear today are nothing like Roman togas which are different from Greek 'togas'.

See what I mean?

Old 12-09-2008 at 10:39 AM   #53
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

ps- I love how popular this thread has become in a mere 2 days.

Old 12-09-2008 at 10:45 AM   #54
bauhaual

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
ps- I love how popular this thread has become in a mere 2 days.

That's University students for ya....we just look for ways to procratinate! haha And I guess posting random messages on discussion forums are WAY more fun than studying!
:winkchristmas2:
Old 12-09-2008 at 01:08 PM   #55
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I swear, its the email notifications. Im just sitting here and gmail keeps being like SOMEBODY SAID SOMETHING!

And I cant just LEAVE it! Come ON! XD
Old 12-09-2008 at 03:24 PM   #56
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

You CAN turn the notifications off! :P Then Gmail won't keep yelling at you. O:
Old 12-09-2008 at 03:38 PM   #57
wintermelon

Everyone start posting DOUBLE TIME. Flood her inbox!
Old 12-09-2008 at 05:26 PM   #58
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Now that'd just be mean! :P Besides, Gmail collapses notifications so you only get one e-mail from a topic if it's replied to in a certain time frame.
Old 12-09-2008 at 07:59 PM   #59
wintermelon

Well there you go, she has nothing to worry about then!
Old 12-09-2008 at 08:00 PM   #60
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

<3 gmail