Old 12-13-2008 at 02:51 PM   #76
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

covalent bonds?
Old 12-13-2008 at 02:56 PM   #77
wadea

Liked: 7 Times

No TBrown... the bonds of Brotherhood/Sisterhood (however Dan and I do share a lot...LOL)
Old 12-13-2008 at 03:01 PM   #78
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

well yeah... but you still havent addressed like... what if i wanted to be in a frat? i dont care much for making sisterhood bonds... XD
Old 12-13-2008 at 03:53 PM   #79
wadea

Hey

There is the idea of a "fratority" which is the same concept as most other Greek Life groups but includes both sexes. I don't believe there are any at mac. This is the idea that sci soc had for their Welcome Week Theme this year.

Aaron
Old 12-13-2008 at 04:51 PM   #80
dustman

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadea View Post
Hey

There is the idea of a "fratority" which is the same concept as most other Greek Life groups but includes both sexes. I don't believe there are any at mac. This is the idea that sci soc had for their Welcome Week Theme this year.

Aaron
Aaron brings up a good point. In fact, a couple of years ago McMaster did have a type of "fratority" that was shared between our campus, Redeemer, and Mohawk. There are many "Coeducational Fraternities" which are implemented to have both male and female members.

The one that was shared between the three schools was known as Alpha Mu Omega, but as far as I know they no longer exist on any of the campuses.

Dustin Shulman
Alpha Epsilon Pi - Eta Omicron (Hamilton, Ont Chapter)
Old 12-13-2008 at 09:39 PM   #81
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

You guys keep talking about living up to Greek life but from your comments earlier, fraternities and sororities only use the Greek alphabet and nothing else...I'm confused.
Old 12-14-2008 at 12:27 AM   #82
wintermelon

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
No TBrown... the bonds of Brotherhood/Sisterhood (however Dan and I do share a lot...LOL)
*fwoosh*

That's the sound a ball flying straight over your head makes.

Also, you missed the joke.
Old 12-14-2008 at 12:35 AM   #83
wadea

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermelon View Post
*fwoosh*

That's the sound a ball flying straight over your head makes.

Also, you missed the joke.
I think you did... covalent bonds share electrons, hence my brother and I sharing alot... lol

Aaron
Old 12-14-2008 at 01:29 PM   #84
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
I think you did... covalent bonds share electrons, hence my brother and I sharing alot... lol

Aaron

You didn't address Danny's confusion Aaron. I was wondering the same thing as he was, got anything to clairfy for us?

Old 12-14-2008 at 01:40 PM   #85
wadea

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
You guys keep talking about living up to Greek life but from your comments earlier, fraternities and sororities only use the Greek alphabet and nothing else...I'm confused.
When I refer to "Greek Life", I'm not talking about actual Greek life. The term Greek Life is an easy way to refer to fraternities and sororities (and fratorities). We could easily change up Greek Life for the Greek system, the Greek community or of course fraternities and soroities. We are even referred to in some areas as "Greeks" (hence the name of the show "Greek").

And yes it comes from the use of the Greek alphabet.

Aaron
Old 12-15-2008 at 04:33 PM   #86
bluser

Liked: 6 Times

hmm... I been to two Frat Keggers in my 3 years of university so far... One observation though - I did notice that a majority of the members were jewish. And Dustin, not to sound creepy or anything but I facebooked you and you're Jewish as well... So is this something that mostly jews get into? Or are people of different backgrounds welcome too? I looked for groups on facebook for AEPi and I noticed a menroah on one of the logos. Google "AEPi and Jewish" and check out the hits! Actually

http://www.aepi.org/site/pp.asp?c=ge...rH& b=2116949

This is taken right from the website " Alpha Epsilon Pi, the Jewish Fraternity of North America, was founded to provide opportunities for a Jewish man seeking the best possible college and fraternity experience"

Sooooo you claim that anyone can join... except for women... and although there's probably no rule that says people of different backgrounds can't join, it doesn't seem like a very inclusive society/ organization. And reading over the information and the kinds of programs and events you guys organize, it's almost reminicient of the freemasons.

I hope no one takes this post the wrong way, I'm not attacking Jews and I don't mean anything negative. I'm just trying to disect this thing to see what these fraternities are really about.
Old 12-15-2008 at 05:11 PM   #87
wadea

Hey

Ok, so you are right. From my understanding AEPi is an all Jewish fraternity (maybe Dustin can comment), however this is not something that you normally find. Phi Delta Theta has members from many backgrounds including christian, muslism and Jewish. Fraternities and sororities are listed as special interest groups under the Human Rights Act because all fraternities and sororities tend to attract people of specific walks of life. With Phi Delta Theta, we are trying to recruit mostly student leaders (one of our recruitment requirements being that the you need to be involved in another organization, like myself with the Science Society). Now to be fair we allow our potential members time to find one that fits them during their pledge period. Most Greek Life groups also have GPA requirements (some hold this higher then others). This type of exclusivity is meant to ensure a specific quality of member but is not to discriminate against any race, or creed (unless that is the special interest group for the organization).

I hope this answered your question

p.s. Fraternities and sororities are secret societies hence the similarities to the Freemasons
Old 12-16-2008 at 01:07 PM   #88
CoutureGirl

Liked: 0 Times

Apparently there was another local around here about 2+ years ago or something called 'Sigma Delta Rho'? anyone know anything about that one?
Old 12-16-2008 at 02:06 PM   #89
wadea

Hey

Sigma Delta Rho has never replied to any of our attempts to contact them. Last I heard they only had 2 members (and I think they both graduated).

Aaron
Old 12-16-2008 at 02:33 PM   #90
bluser

Liked: 6 Times

hmm, why was my comment deleted? I dont think I crossed any boundries. I just did a little digging up and found and interesting connection which I was curious about and was wondering if any franternity members would care to comment on it.