MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple choice exams and midterms !? luxhydrus Academics 4 09-12-2010 06:08 PM
How do we accept our program choice? goldfish101 Academics 5 05-31-2010 04:03 PM
Engineering Free Choice 2010 Rubicon First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 05-18-2010 07:08 PM
Your drug of choice. lawleypop General Discussion 144 10-13-2009 06:24 PM
Question about multiple choice exams in engineering Oilers Academics 13 05-02-2009 11:14 PM

Free Choice in Engineering?

Old 11-17-2008 at 07:31 PM   #1
A_L3

Liked: 4 Times

Free Choice in Engineering?
Hey all,
I was just wondering, what kind of high school marks get you free choice for second year? Also, does this work for any of the disciplines? Because I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the higher demands don't accept free choice.
Old 11-17-2008 at 08:30 PM   #2
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Um, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking here. High school marks won't play a part in what you are accepted for in second year... your first year marks will determine that. Your high school marks would determine what university/what faculty you are accepted into, is that what you mean?

Old 11-17-2008 at 08:32 PM   #3
A_L3

Liked: 4 Times

I seem to remember that the Mac rep that came to my school a month or two ago said that, in engineering at least, if you have a very good entrance average, you can get free choice of what you go into in year two. I could be wrong on that though.
Old 11-17-2008 at 08:35 PM   #4
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

You are correct. If your marks are high enough in high school you can get free choice into second year programs no matter your first year marks (seeing that you pass everything though). There are certain programs that the free choice won't help you, I'm not sure about all of them but I'm pretty sure that biomedical and biochemical other than those I don't really know.
Old 11-17-2008 at 08:43 PM   #5
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyssabriere View Post
You are correct. If your marks are high enough in high school you can get free choice into second year programs no matter your first year marks (seeing that you pass everything though). There are certain programs that the free choice won't help you, I'm not sure about all of them but I'm pretty sure that biomedical and biochemical other than those I don't really know.

Spot On...
Free Choice doesn't apply to the Biomed/BioChem/Biomed&Elec Engineerings and the 5 year programs
Old 11-17-2008 at 09:08 PM   #6
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Interesting concept, I've never heard of this before.

Old 11-17-2008 at 09:11 PM   #7
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-maxx View Post
Spot On...
Free Choice doesn't apply to the Biomed/BioChem/Biomed&Elec Engineerings and the 5 year programs
5 year being? An example, management and engineering, which requires ECON 1BB3 I presume?
Old 11-17-2008 at 09:50 PM   #8
neb21

Usually above 90 average entering university grants you free choice. The university specifies in your acceptance letter if you have it. It does not apply to five year programs. Also if you then proceed to fail any single class you lose your free choice. Also if you have a below 4 average you lose your free choice.

sorry to be a downer
Old 11-17-2008 at 10:52 PM   #9
cowcow

Liked: 2 Times

I don't know how i even got free choice, my marks weren't even that high...
Old 11-18-2008 at 08:40 AM   #10
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowcow View Post
I don't know how i even got free choice, my marks weren't even that high...
Yeah because they secretly found out that you like cows too
Old 11-18-2008 at 08:41 AM   #11
aj-maxx
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyK View Post
5 year being? An example, management and engineering, which requires ECON 1BB3 I presume?
Yes, It does not apply to Management and Society Majors.