MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toronto Freedom Festival ViktorVaughn General Discussion 3 05-01-2010 08:08 AM
Student Account Harlequin General Discussion 6 08-25-2009 12:42 PM
Primary account!!! tan_90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-02-2009 12:09 AM
Freedom Dollars - Deadline to ask for it back? SugarySnack General Discussion 1 05-02-2009 09:28 AM

Freedom Account

Old 08-22-2007 at 10:00 PM   #1
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Freedom Account
Can money from our Freedom Account be used to purchase non-food items (like shirts, books, etc) from Titles? An IRC rep said that the mealcard is used in a similar fashion to a credit card, where money isn't actually removed from your Freedom Account but rather charged to your student account. However, The Campus Living book says "To purchase non-food items (e.g. recyclable containers, seasonal novelties, hygienic items, etc.) or to make purchases at Off-Campus Vendors you need to have a Freedom account" which implies that the former is possible. I'm somewhat confused. =(

Old 08-22-2007 at 10:05 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Indeed, what you think is impossible IS.

See below.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 08-23-2007 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-23-2007 at 12:03 AM   #3
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

From page 10 of the Campus Living Guidebook (http://housing.mcmaster.ca/CampusLiving-2007-2008.pdf):
"The FREEDOM account is a fully taxable and fully refundable portion of your meal plan and it can be used to purchase non-food items at Hospitality Services facilities (eg. recyclable containers, seasonal novelties, hygienic items, etc.) or to dine at the participating Off-Campus Vendors."

Thus, you can buy non-food items (toothbrush, toothpaste etc) at the Service Desks using the Freedom portion of your meal plan.

Info on student credit from Titles: http://titles.mcmaster.ca/geninfo/charge.htm
Info on the Freedom Plan for the meal card: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/Mea...f_Campus .htm .

They are not the same at ALL. the only similarity is that your student card is used for both.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-23-2007 at 12:54 AM   #4
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

Yep, like lorend said, the Freedom dollars on your account are only to buy things at Hospitality Services outlets (i.e., the on-campus food providers, but they also have other non-food items at their locations) or some off-campus restaurants.

At Titles (the bookstore), you can use your student card like a credit card and have any purchase charged to your student account.
Old 08-23-2007 at 01:17 AM   #5
kenneth526
Elite Member

Ah, that clears things up, thanks! But in regards to the credit payment (when you're purchasing something from Titles with your meal card), is it possible to use money from your Freedom account to pay them back? I'm guessing since the freedom portion of the meal plan is refundable anyway we might as well just be able to cut off the middleman.

Old 08-23-2007 at 01:29 AM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

What is the point of adding money to that sort of meal plan if you're just going to be refunding it (getting it in the same format you paid)?

You're not purchasing anything from Titles on your meal card. You are purchasing items from Titles on your STUDENT card. They happen to share the same physical card, but the accounts are in no way connected.

Old 08-23-2007 at 01:41 AM   #7
kenneth526
Elite Member

My mistake, I meant the freedom account in the residence meal plan instead of the off-campus freedom plan: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/Mea...00 7_2008.htm

It comes with at least $100. Assuming I don't spend that amount and since it's refundable anyway, I was wondering if I can just use that money to pay off whatever dues I have outstanding with Titles if I purchase something on credit.

Old 08-23-2007 at 08:31 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Please read above... The meal plan and the Titles credit are separate things. They are managed by separate groups on campus. Therefore it is most likely that you can't mix the two together, but feel free to call Hospitality Services up and ask.

Old 08-23-2007 at 09:11 AM   #9
steff_panda

Liked: 0 Times

In regards to the freedom account...

The Campus Living book says nothing about it being useful at a grocery store. I know other Universities have grocery stores included with their meal-plan - does MAC?
Old 08-23-2007 at 12:31 PM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

There is a mini mart at Keyes which sells some food items.

But no, grocery stores have nothing what-so-ever to do with the meal plan.

Old 08-23-2007 at 02:59 PM   #11
Kevin

The mini mart is at keyes??? NICE! haha I'll be living in keyes so score! How big is this mini mart (i realize it's called mini but just how mini is it), and what kinds of stuff can you buy from there? Also what kinds of storesd are located in the student centre.
Old 08-23-2007 at 04:34 PM   #12
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

From the mini mart you can buy (from what I remember), candy, frozen dinners, mr. noodles, crackers, chips, dip, hygene items, some ethnic (mostly asian) foods, and there is likely other things i can't remember.

I don't know what you really mean by stores...but there is the Union Market (http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/unionmarket/), University Centre Pharmacy, Travel Cuts, Jostens Photo Centre, Compass, Ice Cream, and random booths througout the year. NONE OF THESE PLACES ACCEPT STUDENT CARD AS A MEANS OF PAYMENT (you can't pay with your Meal Plan at Union Market). However you can use it in La Piazza, which is in the student centre, and the Tim Hortons also accept it.

Old 08-23-2007 at 06:35 PM   #13
Kevin

which places do accept the student card then?
Old 08-23-2007 at 08:09 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Any of the sixteen on-campus eateries, or the eight off campus ones. The websites for them are available here: http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/Locations_Dining_Outl ets.htm and http://hospitality.mcmaster. ca/Locations_Dining_Outl ets_Off_Campus.htm.

Stay tuned, as there are articles to go up soon about both!

Old 08-24-2007 at 01:25 AM   #15
nuttynatz

Liked: 2 Times

speaking of grocery stores...what grocery stores are available around/close to Mac?