MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toronto Freedom Festival ViktorVaughn General Discussion 3 05-01-2010 08:08 AM
Student Account Harlequin General Discussion 6 08-25-2009 12:42 PM
Primary account!!! tan_90 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 08-02-2009 12:09 AM
Freedom Dollars - Deadline to ask for it back? SugarySnack General Discussion 1 05-02-2009 09:28 AM

Freedom Account

Old 08-24-2007 at 02:08 AM   #16
Cippi

Liked: 1 Time

There's a huge Fortinos (part of the Loblaws chain, so similar to that) just to the west of Mac along Main St (at Rifle Range Rd.). It's maybe a 10 minute walk from the West Quad residences, and a good 20 minutes or so (at least) from the North Quad ones (since they're way at the back of campus).

To the east of campus, there's The Barn at King St. and Paradise Rd., but that's a bit farther away (maybe a 30 minute walk). It is open 24 hours, though. Both of these are also on bus routes which helps a bit, but you'll still have to walk from the Mac bus stops to your residence, which can be fairly far depending on where you're living and if you're carrying a lot of stuff.

In first year you probably won't have much need to go grocery shopping regularly since you're stuck with the meal plan, but if you live off-campus after first year the supermarket you go to probably will be dictated by where you're living (each of those that I listed are relatively central to the two main concentrations of student housing around Mac).

Last edited by Cippi : 08-24-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2007 at 08:26 AM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

There is also a Barn in University Plaza in Dundas (where the East Side Mario's is), and it's open 24 hours too.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-24-2007 at 10:09 AM   #18
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Incase there has been any confusion in this thread, which there seems to have been since people are asking the same questions over and over.

Here's a recap:
  • Your student card can be used for purchasing items at TITLES, and it works like a credit card, charged to your Student Account which you must pay back. You CAN NOT just walk into TITLES and start buying things with your Student Card. You need to first fill out an application and activate that feature on your Student Card before you can use it as a Titles Credit Card. (source)
  • Your student card can also be used as a MEAL CARD, which is managed by Hospitality Services. If you are on residence you require to get a meal plan (CLICK HERE TO READ ABOUT MEAL PLANS), but if you live off-campus you can go on what is called the FREEDOM meal plan, which has a minimum $100 amount. You must fill out an application before you can use your Student Card as a Meal Plan card. Once you put $100 or more onto your card (which you can do online via the mealplan website, OR by going to the office located near COMMONS on campus) you can then use your Student Card to purchase food at any of the outlets ON CAMPUS run by Hospitality Services (LISTED HERE) as well as OFF CAMPUS restaurants that have partnered with Hospitality Services (SEE LISTINGS HERE).
  • There are stores and food outlets that are on-campus which do NOT accept the mealplan as a method of payment because they are not a Hospitality Services outlet. For example, in the Student Centre there is a store called the Union Market which is run by the MSU, and funded by students. Therefore they are not run by Hostpitality Services, and only accept cash/debit/credit card and not student cards (meal plans).
  • Grocery Stores around campus (Fortinos, The Barn, etc) do not accept student cards. You can't use your meal plan at those stores, and you can't use your student card as a credit card at those stores because you can only use it for credit at TITLES BOOKSTORE.
I think that wraps it up, did I miss anything?
Old 08-24-2007 at 06:59 PM   #19
kenneth526
Elite Member

Liked: 41 Times

Yeah, looks like I misunderstood what I could use funds in the freedom account for (I originally wanted to buy a mac hoodie with it =P). Thanks for clearing things up!

Old 09-01-2007 at 04:39 PM   #20
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Mac hoodies are really great and perfect for winter
Old 09-01-2007 at 04:53 PM   #21
Sanduni

Liked: 0 Times

Do we get Mac hoodies when you buy the Mac Pass?
Old 09-02-2007 at 08:03 AM   #22
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time

Where exactly can the freedom account be used??????????
Old 09-10-2007 at 06:54 PM   #23
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Kevin, are you asking as an upper year student or a first year?

There seems to be a difference.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 12-01-2008 at 04:07 PM   #24
Danish M

I have the same question as Kevin. I was thinking to get a gift card from somewhere, but for that to happen i need to know where can i use my freedom account.

Flirc Student Dining Sub-Committee member
First year Computer Science Rep

------------
"Good judgement comes from making bad decision"
Old 12-01-2008 at 05:47 PM   #25
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Gift cards can't be used on your freedom plan. Gift cards work like cash, so they'll have no effect to your freedom plan balance.

Old 12-01-2008 at 09:15 PM   #26
bauhaual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduni View Post
Do we get Mac hoodies when you buy the Mac Pass?
Uhhh....NO!