MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
French 1A06 laurastevens 1st Year Course Reviews 73 06-09-2015 02:33 AM
Econ 1bb3, Hlth Age 1bb3, Linguist 1a03 waldo92 Academics 4 09-17-2010 10:42 PM

French 1A06 OR hlth age 1bb3 and envir sc 1a03??

Old 06-30-2012 at 02:37 PM   #1
thuks0251

Liked: 10 Times

French 1A06 OR hlth age 1bb3 and envir sc 1a03??
Hey everyone!

My friend told me about this website and it's supposed to be super helpful, so here I am with my annoying questions

So, I was wondering... for electives should I take French 1a06 or econ 1bb3 and envir sc 1A03?? !

Just give me your honest opinions!

Thanks!

Last edited by thuks0251 : 06-30-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2012 at 02:57 PM   #2
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

I only took French 1A06 so I can't speak for the other two courses (though I hear both are considered bird courses). I absolutely loved 1A06, I had Mme Posthumus (who left for McGill) and she was a fantastic professor. The course wasn't difficult at all, as long as you put in a moderate amount of time reviewing the grammar/rules. The first novel she chose was relatively easy (akin to Le Petit Prince) and the second novel was a little harder, but both were interesting. The one thing I liked about 1A06 was the small class size, which meant that you basically knew most people in the class within the first few months and you were pretty familiar with the professor too.

The one detriment to the course IMO is the subjectivity between professors. I had a couple friends in this course too, but they had a different professor and their experience was rather unpleasant. He was apparently a harder marker and chose harder novels. So take what I say here with a grain of salt.

thuks0251 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-30-2012 at 06:34 PM   #3
thuks0251

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
I only took French 1A06 so I can't speak for the other two courses (though I hear both are considered bird courses). I absolutely loved 1A06, I had Mme Posthumus (who left for McGill) and she was a fantastic professor. The course wasn't difficult at all, as long as you put in a moderate amount of time reviewing the grammar/rules. The first novel she chose was relatively easy (akin to Le Petit Prince) and the second novel was a little harder, but both were interesting. The one thing I liked about 1A06 was the small class size, which meant that you basically knew most people in the class within the first few months and you were pretty familiar with the professor too.

The one detriment to the course IMO is the subjectivity between professors. I had a couple friends in this course too, but they had a different professor and their experience was rather unpleasant. He was apparently a harder marker and chose harder novels. So take what I say here with a grain of salt.
Thanks so much for your opinions!

I really don't want to lose french coming into university, so I guess I'll just take it in the first year. I'm sure I'll be fine!

If you don't mind me asking, which books did you read in first year, just so I can get an idea of the level of difficulty
Old 06-30-2012 at 07:07 PM   #4
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
Thanks so much for your opinions!

I really don't want to lose french coming into university, so I guess I'll just take it in the first year. I'm sure I'll be fine!

If you don't mind me asking, which books did you read in first year, just so I can get an idea of the level of difficulty
The novels were "La Grammaire Est Une Chanson Douce" and "Vol de Nuit"

thuks0251 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.
Old 06-30-2012 at 07:15 PM   #5
thuks0251

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
The novels were "La Grammaire Est Une Chanson Douce" and "Vol de Nuit"
OMG! I know I probably won't get the same books, but I have read <<La Grammaire est une chanson douce>> (a little dry at times)! So, it won't be that bad after all!

Thank you!!
Old 06-30-2012 at 07:29 PM   #6
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuks0251 View Post
OMG! I know I probably won't get the same books, but I have read <<La Grammaire est une chanson douce>> (a little dry at times)! So, it won't be that bad after all!

Thank you!!
Haha like I said, take everything I say with a grain of salt. In my friends' class, the prof chose two books on African culture or something similar and they seemed really dry