French 2B03/2bb3 kgrun Academics 5 06-17-2011 03:12 PM
French 2b03/2bb3 LivLucy Academics 3 06-16-2011 01:05 PM

French 2BB3?

Old 10-24-2011 at 11:18 PM   #1
Mohji

Liked: 0 Times

French 2BB3?
Hello,

I'm in French 2B03 right now and debating whether I want to continue in 2BB3 next term or not. I was wondering if anyone could help me out.

I never took immersion French in high school, nor do I really have any experience in speaking French, but I took both French 1A06 and now 2B03 in university. I'm not finding the grammar or vocab material to be too difficult in class right now, nor do I have trouble keeping up with the prof, but I can't speak the language well at all. I have to come up with the sentences in my head before I can actually say them, and it almost always ends up sounding awkward.

So I would like to ask, if anyone has taken 2BB3, what can you say about the structure and difficulty of the course? Is it approximately the same as 2B03 (grammar, vocab, tutorial)? I heard some very mixed reviews about it, so I'd really appreciate some additional opinions.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011 at 07:19 PM   #2
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

This doesn't really answer your question, but last year I took 1A06 and I was having a little problem with my fluency as well. I asked my prof about it and she ended up setting me up with some private conversing with a grad student. It helped a lot. I would definitely recommend talking to your prof to ask for suggestions.
Old 01-03-2012 at 08:29 PM   #3
katdawg14

Liked: 0 Times

Hey!
This is kinda late but there is still lots of time to register in 2BB3 so this might still help.
I'm a French major in 2BB3 right now. In first year I was supposed to be taking 1A06 because I had taken grade 12 French, but it was so beyond my capabilities (my highschool instruction was lacking) that I took 1K06 instead and waited to take 1A06 until the following year.
You might think that you are below everyone else's capabilties, but that is not true at all. I can guarantee that half of you class feels nervous about speaking as well. Some of my French friends who come from Francophone families or were in immersion their whole lives get lower marks than I do.
One thing that did really help me (if you are thinking of continuing in French) was doing the Explore program. It definitely raises your oral exponentially!!!
Also, if you want to take 2BB3 this semester I definitely reccomend taking the one with Dr. Stout. This is the second time I have had him and he is amazing! You will NEVER feel embarrased or stupid in his class!
Feel free to ask me anything else about French courses or profs at Mac or about the Explore program!