Minor in French JayChu Academics 4 06-13-2011 08:25 PM
Minor in French MichaelScarn Academics 5 06-11-2011 07:17 PM
Minor in Art History or French Fawkes Academics 15 05-07-2010 12:34 PM

French Minor

Old 12-24-2011 at 03:05 PM   #1
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

French Minor
Is there anyway I can still get a French minor considering I couldn't get into the full year French 1Z06 course this year? I'm in first year btw, just wondering if it's possible to do the full year course in my second year, or is this advised against?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-2011 at 03:21 PM   #2
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

It's totally possible. You should probably try to take some French in the summer though.

dmzz likes this.
Old 12-24-2011 at 05:05 PM   #3
Christ

Liked: 9 Times

Is there a french summer course that's equivalent to the full year course at mcmaster? so then when I go into second year, I can take the second year french?

Not sure how this would work :S because 1Z06 is a prereq to the second year courses right?
Old 12-24-2011 at 08:40 PM   #4
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Is there a french summer course that's equivalent to the full year course at mcmaster? so then when I go into second year, I can take the second year french?

Not sure how this would work :S because 1Z06 is a prereq to the second year courses right?
Yes, so in order for it to work you'd have to take 1Z06 in the summer. It wasn't offered last year, but check in March to see if it's offered this year.
Old 12-24-2011 at 09:55 PM   #5
katrinabell

Liked: 19 Times

You should check the degree requirements for the minor, its a lot more than just taking enough units to fulfill a minor. You'll need to take a lot of literature courses, and if you can't take 1Z06 in the summer it will put you back a year. If you're serious about the minor though you can contact the department head for French and ask for a seat since it's for your degree.
Old 12-24-2011 at 09:56 PM   #6
Biochem47
Elite Member

Liked: 73 Times

Try to take french in the summer!

In fact...look into a program called "Explore". You get 6 units of french that you can get transferred...you go to quebec/nova scotia to a university for 5 weeks and take your french in an immersion setting. Best part is it is all paid for by the government! Tuition, room and board, food etc....

If you are really interested in French, I would highly recommend it--tons of fun! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

http://www.myexplore.ca/en/
Old 12-24-2011 at 10:05 PM   #7
jordan18

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Just so you know 1Z06 and 2Z06 don't count towards the minor. It's still possible to minor in french but you would have to be playing catch up.
Old 12-25-2011 at 01:30 AM   #8
ellerytc

Liked: 25 Times

not getting into 1Z06 won't be your only obstacle either.

unless you're in a French Major/Specialization/whatever, it's pretty hard to get into French 2B03/2BB3, which are two of the French courses required for the minor.

tried SO LONG to get into those classes, had to settle for other ones instead...me and a WHOLE BUNCH OF OTHERS.