MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Fridges DonJuan General Discussion 5 08-23-2010 10:37 AM
two fridges, one room dumbconsumer Residence & Housing 12 08-19-2010 12:28 AM
Two mini fridges in a double room (Les Prince)? Ohmz Residence & Housing 3 09-12-2009 04:48 PM
Mini Fridges TheAxtmann Residence & Housing 62 09-01-2009 09:49 PM
Fridges spiotrowski Moulton Hall Forum 20 07-21-2008 03:52 PM

Fridges - Continued

Old 07-25-2010 at 12:23 AM   #1
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

Fridges - Continued
With the fridge debacle continuing but RLS training approaching on August 22nd, I was wondering whether I should just go ahead and rent a Coldex fridge before August 13th to ensure it's new.
This is my first year on res, so I don't have a fridge to bring in and I would like one that hasn't been recycled for years *I mean, "gently used".

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-25-2010 at 12:55 AM   #2
etoilex3

Liked: 65 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodnews.inc View Post
With the fridge debacle continuing but RLS training approaching on August 22nd, I was wondering whether I should just go ahead and rent a Coldex fridge before August 13th to ensure it's new.
This is my first year on res, so I don't have a fridge to bring in and I would like one that hasn't been recycled for years *I mean, "gently used".
Hmm, I'd say wait for the verdict from the MSU/IRC (I think somewhere in the threads they said they had a meeting with Housing sometime next week).

But if they aren't willing to do anything about this wonderfully ridiculous policy, I'll probably order it before the 13th so at least it'll be a new fridge.

Imagine if they crack down hard on the fridge policy and people who are planning on sneaking in fridges are forced to rent from Coldex at the last minute... with that many orders, you could end up with an older, potentially crappier fridge =/
Old 07-25-2010 at 01:01 AM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoilex3 View Post
Hmm, I'd say wait for the verdict from the MSU/IRC (I think somewhere in the threads they said they had a meeting with Housing sometime next week).

But if they aren't willing to do anything about this wonderfully ridiculous policy, I'll probably order it before the 13th so at least it'll be a new fridge.

Imagine if they crack down hard on the fridge policy and people who are planning on sneaking in fridges are forced to rent from Coldex at the last minute... with that many orders, you could end up with an older, potentially crappier fridge =/
Thanks
I was just wondering about how long I should wait.
I don't expect it in by the 22nd but I suppose, since it'll only be 12 people in McKay before move in that I could use the common fridge during that time

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-25-2010 at 04:40 AM   #4
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Question -- is there any information available on what they plan to do if they catch you using your own fridge? Because quite frankly, I have no intentions of paying $110 to rent a freaking 2-foot fridge for a year when I can get a bigger one for the same or less price and get to keep it...
Old 07-25-2010 at 08:12 AM   #5
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

I imagine they would ask you to remove the fridge and require that you rent one from them

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

Old 07-25-2010 at 08:36 AM   #6
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcars View Post
Question -- is there any information available on what they plan to do if they catch you using your own fridge? Because quite frankly, I have no intentions of paying $110 to rent a freaking 2-foot fridge for a year when I can get a bigger one for the same or less price and get to keep it...
It's one fridge per room so if you are sharing then you can split the money b/w your roomies and not pay the full price
Old 07-25-2010 at 09:26 AM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
It's one fridge per room so if you are sharing then you can split the money b/w your roomies and not pay the full price
Will they only let you rent one, though? I know people in double rooms that had two fridges--they had each bought one. It's also better for keeping your food safe lol
Old 07-25-2010 at 09:32 AM   #8
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Will they only let you rent one, though? I know people in double rooms that had two fridges--they had each bought one. It's also better for keeping your food safe lol
It said on the email that one fridge per room
Old 07-25-2010 at 09:34 AM   #9
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
It said on the email that one fridge per room
wow! that also sucks, then...one minifridge can't hold THAT much stuff :(
Old 07-25-2010 at 10:36 AM   #10
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

i think this is ridic. some bs cashgrab scheme
Old 07-25-2010 at 12:35 PM   #11
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeoku View Post
i think this is ridic. some bs cashgrab scheme
well obviously the one fridge per room thing is not a cashgrab. that is a legitimate way to save energy.
Old 07-25-2010 at 02:03 PM   #12
Theashe

Liked: 29 Times

Quote:
well obviously the one fridge per room thing is not a cashgrab. that is a legitimate way to save energy.
Considering all the high energy consumption functions that go on in a university (especially one like Mac), a few extra minifridges doesn't seem like a big impact in the grand scheme.

I think the whole fridge thing just a poor idea that wasn't thought through. "How can we milk more money from students? Now, how can we make it seem like we have good intentions?"
Old 07-25-2010 at 02:06 PM   #13
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Well, every bit counts. Although it sucks, having one fridge per room is a legit way of saving energy. However, having one fridge per room (or for every two people, as one minifridge in a quad room would be a bit harder to manage) does NOT mean that you must force everyone to rent a fridge. You can let people bring their own while still only having one per room--you'd still save the same amount of energy.
Old 07-25-2010 at 02:23 PM   #14
etoilex3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Well, every bit counts. Although it sucks, having one fridge per room is a legit way of saving energy. However, having one fridge per room (or for every two people, as one minifridge in a quad room would be a bit harder to manage) does NOT mean that you must force everyone to rent a fridge. You can let people bring their own while still only having one per room--you'd still save the same amount of energy.
exactement! With the exception of single rooms, doubling the number of fridges in all other rooms DOES have a huge impact on energy consumptions. I completely agree that they could simply let the roommates work out bringing only one fridge.

Of course there are MANY other ways of cutting energy consumption. Mac has a sustainability effort that is pretty decent compared to a lot of other schools. (Water fountains, increased bike racks etc). They should definitely be doing more.
Old 07-25-2010 at 02:44 PM   #15
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
exactement! With the exception of single rooms, doubling the number of fridges in all other rooms DOES have a huge impact on energy consumptions. I completely agree that they could simply let the roommates work out bringing only one fridge.

Of course there are MANY other ways of cutting energy consumption. Mac has a sustainability effort that is pretty decent compared to a lot of other schools. (Water fountains, increased bike racks etc). They should definitely be doing more.
Agreed.

If their target is the residence buildings perhaps they should consider things like having motion censored lights in the rooms and especially bathrooms where the lights are on practically 24/7 and the hallways where the lights are on all the time - they could consider switching to energy efficient lighting...

BUT NO...

First they must inconvenience students.