MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance Opt-Out 2010 jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 35 12-05-2010 09:12 PM
contents insurance habinsle General Discussion 0 09-07-2010 11:38 AM
Cheap Insurance? TheBrickWall Automotive & Transportation 11 08-24-2010 07:28 PM
getting car insurance cjdzl Automotive & Transportation 11 08-05-2010 01:47 PM
Auto Insurance Pay919 Automotive & Transportation 9 07-21-2010 02:23 PM

G2 insurance

Old 07-16-2010 at 11:05 PM   #1
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

G2 insurance
How much does G2 insurance usually cost per month?
I'm going to be put under my parents name as an occasional driver, we only have 1 car
I got my G2 a year ago but didn't drive since I got it, nor was I insured
Is it possible to get insured only for 2 months (july and august)? since i won't be driving when I go to mac
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:08 PM   #2
knox

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdzl View Post
How much does G2 insurance usually cost per month?
I'm going to be put under my parents name as an occasional driver, we only have 1 car
I got my G2 a year ago but didn't drive since I got it, nor was I insured
Is it possible to get insured only for 2 months (july and august)? since i won't be driving when I go to mac
I go home for the Summer and drive my mom's car to work every single night (work night shift in Toronto). First summer I paid something like $90 for a few months (like May-August, so you should be able to be added for just 2 months). Weird part is I haven't had to pay car insurance the last two years, and I can't understand why. We've e-mailed back and forth with the insurance broker a number of times because I was concerned about something happening then finding out I'm not insured, but she's sure I'm covered under my Mom's since I'm an occasional driver. So I've basically had free car services for 2 years, minus gas.
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:11 PM   #3
Myoch

Liked: 2 Times

it depends on the vehicle you are insuring, mine is 750/year as an occasional driver and for a p/u truck, and yes you can cancel your insurance at any time, so if you only want it for 2 months just call in and they will cancel on the very same day.

if you're parents drive a sports car, then i would assume it will be higher
Old 07-16-2010 at 11:22 PM   #4
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox View Post
I go home for the Summer and drive my mom's car to work every single night (work night shift in Toronto). First summer I paid something like $90 for a few months (like May-August, so you should be able to be added for just 2 months). Weird part is I haven't had to pay car insurance the last two years, and I can't understand why. We've e-mailed back and forth with the insurance broker a number of times because I was concerned about something happening then finding out I'm not insured, but she's sure I'm covered under my Mom's since I'm an occasional driver. So I've basically had free car services for 2 years, minus gas.
Yeah, you can be insured under your parents name as an occasional driver if their insurance allows it. The thing is that it's actually not free, your mom is actually paying more (or she should be anyways).
Old 07-17-2010 at 02:52 AM   #5
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Weird part is I haven't had to pay car insurance the last two years, and I can't understand why. We've e-mailed back and forth with the insurance broker a number of times because I was concerned about something happening then finding out I'm not insured, but she's sure I'm covered under my Mom's since I'm an occasional driver. So I've basically had free car services for 2 years, minus gas.
According to my parents insurance company (CAA, I think, but not 100% sure), if you're a student living away from home and are licensed to drive by yourself (G2 or G), you are considered a "guest" when you go home, and as long as their insurance policy covers "visitors" that have a valid license, you can drive their car, under their insurance, without paying for an additional driver. My dad called about that last summer, and was told that.

jhan523 says thanks to reeves for this post.
Old 07-17-2010 at 07:22 AM   #6
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
According to my parents insurance company (CAA, I think, but not 100% sure), if you're a student living away from home and are licensed to drive by yourself (G2 or G), you are considered a "guest" when you go home, and as long as their insurance policy covers "visitors" that have a valid license, you can drive their car, under their insurance, without paying for an additional driver. My dad called about that last summer, and was told that.
Oh, that is quite interesting... Kinda seems like a loophole, that's really neat! Thanks.
Old 07-17-2010 at 08:53 AM   #7
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Quote:
Is that true? I never heard that before, I think you have to be insured in order to drive, maybe not
thanks guys for the reply's I have to contact my broker to get insured right?
Old 07-17-2010 at 09:22 AM   #8
ali11

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
That is indeed the loophole that not many people know about. Technically, the only way it works is if you change the address on your driver's license to be that of the one you are at school (at least that's what my insurance told me and my dad). If your address is the same, you have 2 options: either tell the insurance in writing that you will 100% not be driving in the next however many months, and that way, if you do drive and get into an accident, you're in major trouble. The other way would be to become an occasional driver and pay the occasional driver rate.

I also pay 750/year, and I'm insured on a pickup truck. Luckily the insurance lady put me on the cheapest vehicle, or else my insurance would've been upwards of 1000 if it was on the honda civic. If i get my G license, the rate drops to around 500-600/year.

EDIT: Most insurance agents avoid telling you about the change of address loophole, as it is not in their benefit.
Old 07-17-2010 at 10:41 AM   #9
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

does my parents need to be next to me when I call them? to approve or anything?
because my parents are out of town right now, that's why i'm getting the insurance
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:01 PM   #10
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Geographic location also matters greatly. Be prepared to be raped extra if you live in the Toronto city limits. When I had my G2 I was looking at 150 a month extra as a third occasional driver on my parents' two cars.

I will be swapping my insurance over to my own policy within the next year, and I will expect to pay about $3500 per year, age 23, G (licensed for 6-7 years), 1 speeding ticket. Without the ticket I'd probably be down to about 3300-3400.

When you're young and have a G2, unless you have a really exotic car, the difference in rates is almost negligible, and sometimes you can be pleasantly surprised. You'd think that my "supercharged" Pontiac sedan boat would be more expensive, but it turned out to be cheaper than my old base model automatic transmission 1991 Honda Civic hatchback.

The only accurate answer will be to get a formal quote.
Old 07-17-2010 at 08:43 PM   #11
knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, you can be insured under your parents name as an occasional driver if their insurance allows it. The thing is that it's actually not free, your mom is actually paying more (or she should be anyways).
Hers hasn't gone up, but it did the first year, and that's why I paid her the extra 90$ to cover the increase. This is what the insurance broker said to my mom:

"If you give [Me] permission to drive your automobile he is covered as long as he has a valid Ontario driver’s license

The insurance goes with the automobile."

This makes sense and doesn't make sense. if your neighbor needed your car for an emergency, they'd be insured because the insurance "goes with the vehicle". But it doesn't make sense because tons of teens have to pay outrageous rates to be added to their parents plans. If the insurance always went with the vehicle, why would teens pay at all?
Old 07-17-2010 at 09:45 PM   #12
ali11

Quote:
The insurance goes with the automobile."
The insurance goes with the vehicle, but the vehicle belongs to the household. So all driver's in the household of that vehicle must be on the insurance policy (only on one of the vehicles on the policy). If you're not part of that household, than you're not required to be in the policy in order to be insured.

I hope that made sense?

Last edited by ali11 : 07-17-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2010 at 10:12 PM   #13
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I will be swapping my insurance over to my own policy within the next year, and I will expect to pay about $3500 per year, age 23, G (licensed for 6-7 years), 1 speeding ticket. Without the ticket I'd probably be down to about 3300-3400.
Have you tried shopping around for insurance / checking any deals you might through a professional association etc? I know if you're a IEEE student member you can get discounts. $3500 seems like a lot, especially since it sounds like you've got what seems to be an older car and a pretty clear record .
Old 07-18-2010 at 05:51 PM   #14
knox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali11 View Post
The insurance goes with the vehicle, but the vehicle belongs to the household. So all driver's in the household of that vehicle must be on the insurance policy (only on one of the vehicles on the policy). If you're not part of that household, than you're not required to be in the policy in order to be insured.

I hope that made sense?
If that's right then it makes sense. Are you sure?
Old 07-18-2010 at 06:08 PM   #15
ali11

Quote:
If that's right then it makes sense. Are you sure?
My understanding comes from an almost 1-hour talk my dad had with his insurance, and I was listening in on it. He's with TD Melloche Mennox, and it's my interpretation of it. Since insurance companies tend to be blood-sucking-bastards, you should definitely talk to the insurance and get every bit of detail you can from them. You don't want to be going on assumptions, since assumptions my dad made left me driving without being insured for a whole year...eeek! (He though he had heard if I lived 40+km away from home, I did not have to be on the policy, but that's a lie. If you live a certain distance away from home, you can get a discount in your rate, but you still have to be on the policy and paid for; unless, that is, your driver's license address is different than that of your parent's home)