MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance Opt-Out 2010 jhan523 MacInsiders Announcements 35 12-05-2010 09:12 PM
contents insurance habinsle General Discussion 0 09-07-2010 11:38 AM
Cheap Insurance? TheBrickWall Automotive & Transportation 11 08-24-2010 07:28 PM
Auto Insurance Pay919 Automotive & Transportation 9 07-21-2010 02:23 PM
G2 insurance cjdzl Automotive & Transportation 16 07-18-2010 09:44 PM

getting car insurance

Old 08-04-2010 at 11:12 AM   #1
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

getting car insurance
I have a g2 right now and my parents are out of town for a month and they left me their car
how do I get insurance on the car? do I just call up my parents broker and say I want to be insured under their name or something?
Old 08-04-2010 at 12:04 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

As a G2 class driver you have to be insured by law regardless of if a G-licensed driver is in the car or not.

So this either means a) you don't drive with your G2, or b) you were driving without insurance.

As for obtaining insurance, you can call the broker, but depending on what car(s) your family owns, how long you've been driving, if you took drivers ed, your sex, how many drivers are in the family etc etc you could be paying a lot for the month.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-04-2010 at 12:12 PM   #3
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

I don't even think it's something you could legally do... I would think your parents have to do it, since the policy is in their name. they have to add you into it as an occassional driver. And even then I'm not sure that it would be effective immediately because it would completely change their policy payment
Old 08-04-2010 at 12:16 PM   #4
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

I wouldn't expect anything less than 250 for the month. Don't be surprised if it's a lot more than that. Like Danielle said it depends on SO many variables.

You can indeed call up the broker on your parents' behalf (make it clear you are doing so) and request a quote and all the paperwork to put you on insurance (I've done it before), but wouldn't your parents have to sign off on it? How are they going to do that if they're out of town?
Old 08-04-2010 at 12:26 PM   #5
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

oh dame that sucks, my parents left in a hurry due to family issue and they didn't have time to add me to their insurance and told me to do it
so I can't get an insurance? that would suck since I have a whole month left and can't do anything if I can't drive
Old 08-04-2010 at 12:28 PM   #6
Charbs

Liked: 33 Times

to know for sure you have to speak with the broker they deal with... so I'd say do that, we can;t really tell you 100% anything....

Talk to the broker and go from there, maybe he can write everything up and fax it to somewhere where you parents are going to be for them to sign and fax back or something
Old 08-05-2010 at 09:20 AM   #7
manap3000
Account Locked

Liked: 64 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
I wouldn't expect anything less than 250 for the month. Don't be surprised if it's a lot more than that. Like Danielle said it depends on SO many variables.

You can indeed call up the broker on your parents' behalf (make it clear you are doing so) and request a quote and all the paperwork to put you on insurance (I've done it before), but wouldn't your parents have to sign off on it? How are they going to do that if they're out of town?
aww dude it would have been in their best interests too add you as a casual driver to their insurance; you only end up paying say, $20 more per month, maybe even less
Old 08-05-2010 at 09:31 AM   #8
MacAttk

Liked: 38 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
aww dude it would have been in their best interests too add you as a casual driver to their insurance; you only end up paying say, $20 more per month, maybe even less
Lol, no. I'm assuming the OP is a male and lets say between 17-19, he would probably pay about $90-$100 per month as an occasional driver (assuming he went to driving school).
Old 08-05-2010 at 12:53 PM   #9
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3000 View Post
You CANNOT make that generalization. Like we've said, it will depend mostly on the number of drivers and number of cars in the household as well as the area you live in. There are also a ton more variables to consider as well.

There is also NO chance that it's gonna be $20 a month, no matter how you slice it. Not for a young male teenage driver.
Old 08-05-2010 at 01:32 PM   #10
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Did you not drive at all before, then? Because if you drove before with your G2 license, you should have had insurance anyways...your parents leaving or being there has no effect on your insurance status. You have to have insurance to drive at all with a G2--I wasn't allowed to drive my driving instructor's car home from my G2 test because I wasn't insured yet. Call the insurance company, you might already be listed even if your name doesn't appear on the pink insurance slip.
Old 08-05-2010 at 01:40 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Did you not drive at all before, then? Because if you drove before with your G2 license, you should have had insurance anyways...your parents leaving or being there has no effect on your insurance status. You have to have insurance to drive at all with a G2--I wasn't allowed to drive my driving instructor's car home from my G2 test because I wasn't insured yet. Call the insurance company, you might already be listed even if your name doesn't appear on the pink insurance slip.
That's something interesting to note... that means you need insurance in order to take your G test?
Old 08-05-2010 at 01:47 PM   #12
temptingf8
Elite Member

I don't think they enforce it. My brother got his G before being insured - he used the driving instructor's car (who didn't check either). Could you get away with it? Probably. Is it technically legal or the wise thing to do? Probably not.