MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
National Aboriginal Day – June 21st Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-19-2010 07:49 AM
Aboriginal Status and McMaster Rivet General Discussion 20 01-11-2010 06:24 PM
National Aboriginal Day lorend Misc 2 06-17-2009 12:43 PM
McMaster Celebration Chad General Discussion 2 10-27-2008 12:44 AM

A Gathering: Peels Aboriginal Celebration

A Gathering: Peel's Aboriginal Celebration

On Saturday June 6th from 10AM-5PM the Region of Peel is hosting a one-day festival celebrating the heritage and culture of Canada’s Indigenous Peoples. This FREE event is called A Gathering: Peels Aboriginal [sic] Celebration. The festival will be at Chinguacousy Park in Brampton.

There is a variety of entertainment and information that will be available at the event, including First Nations drummers and dancers, Metis fiddlers and jiggers, Inuit throat singers, storytelling, traditional knowledge told by elders, cultural displays, arts and crafts, and traditional foods.

Please consult the website for additional information.
Published by
MacInsiders VP

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 05-29-2009 at 04:42 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies
Year: Alumni
Residence: Whidden

Liked: 506 Times
So you may be wondering why I chose to put [sic] after the word Aboriginal.

[sic] is used when to indicate incorrect and/or unusual spelling, phrase or punctuation: essentially something the writer does not agree with. It is also used to note that the information is being quoted verbatim and there is no error in transcribing.

So you're likely still confused, right?

I do not agree with the word Aboriginal, I think it's offensive. It is viewed by Indigenous peoples as being a combination of 'abnormal' and 'original'. If you look at the history of colonialism in Canada, the US, New Zealand and Australia, Indigenous persons were, and in many cases still are, seen as inferior to the dominant group.

Most of the Native people I know call themselves by their tribe or nation and/or cultural group (Metis, First Nations, or Inuit). I have heard many of them say that the word Aboriginal is offensive to them, and thus I refuse to use the word unless I am quoting something.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Deleted Post Deleted Post
Old 05-29-2009 at 09:43 PM   #3
KRan
Program: Kinesiology
Year: Fourth
Residence: SOCS

Liked: 10 Times
I was actually just about to google "what does [sic] mean?" So thank you!
Old 05-30-2009 at 01:05 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff
Program: BA (Hons) CSCT and Anthropology, BA (Hons) English & Indigenous Studies

A semi-related story from CBC: First Nations added to list of defining Canadian icons. (Admittedly from July 2008; but still relevant).

More proof you need to GO TO THIS EVENT.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 05-30-2009 at 08:08 PM   #5
Slania
Program: English + Indigenous Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
I am definitely going. Thanks so much for this post!

I find that Iconizing really weird, and inappropriate - it seems to dehumanize Indigenous peoples, as some strange species of Canada or something. The other icons are beavers, leaves, a flag, etc. How can you lump a whole continent of cultural groups into one, and name them as an "icon"? It doesn't make sense to me. Are Indigenous people today also considered icons of Canada then?
Old 05-31-2009 at 05:04 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

To answer your (I think somewhat rhetorical) question Slania. How many famous Indigenous Canadians do you know of?

Old 06-06-2009 at 01:28 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slania View Post
I am definitely going.
Did you go? huh huh huh?

I went! And got swag! And bought books! YAAAY!

Old 06-06-2009 at 11:39 PM   #8
Slania
Program: English + Indigenous Studies
Year: Second

Liked: 1 Time
Yeah, I went!!! I got there at about 2, and saw the Red Spirit Dancers/Singers...so good <3 and I got a bunch of Six Nations pamphlet and a pen, and a healthy eating fridge magnet but I guess I missed the major cool stuff D:
Still it was cool ^^
As for famous indigenous Canadians...Elijah Harper...? Hehe.
Old 06-08-2009 at 10:19 AM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Yay I'm glad you enjoyed it! I will be posting information on other local Indigenous events in July and August too!

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search