MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
National Aboriginal Day – June 21st Lois MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-19-2010 07:49 AM
How Do I Check My Residence Status? MarissaK Residence & Housing 6 07-26-2009 01:18 AM
National Aboriginal Day lorend Misc 2 06-17-2009 12:43 PM
A Gathering: Peels Aboriginal Celebration lorend MacInsiders Announcements 8 06-08-2009 10:19 AM
OSAP - Status Question Dominique General Discussion 3 07-28-2008 06:04 PM

Aboriginal Status and McMaster

Old 01-10-2010 at 09:33 PM   #1
Rivet

Liked: 0 Times

Aboriginal Status and McMaster
So, I finally have found all of my lineage, and am able to prove my status as a native Canadian. I'm currently in the process of attaining my status-card, and began to wonder: Does McMaster offer any benefits to those with aboriginal status? I know there's an alternate HealthSci application or something, but is that? Like, does McMaster have some special scholarship or bursary?

Unrelated, but I can actually also prove I'm a direct descendant of Henry Hudson, the explorer/cartographer dude.
Old 01-10-2010 at 09:50 PM   #2
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you're smart, caring and interested in medicine, you could get into med school easily provided that you actually care about the First Nations and do a lot of charity work for them. You need to be the right fit, but nonetheless, worth looking into.

Don't abuse your powers.
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:06 PM   #3
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

isn't tuition entirely free?
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:17 PM   #4
Rivet

Liked: 0 Times

I'm completely unsure, I wasn't a declared aboriginal when I got accepted.

Should I go to the registrar and inquire, or somewhere else?
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:19 PM   #5
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Go to Financial Aid Office...
Old 01-10-2010 at 10:22 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
I'm completely unsure, I wasn't a declared aboriginal when I got accepted.

Should I go to the registrar and inquire, or somewhere else?
Hey Rivet,

Your best point of contact is the McMaster First Nations Student Association (MFNSA).

Unfortunately the majority of students on this board do not know enough about the Indigenous population at Mac (or Indigenous issues in general), nor what can and cannot be offered to them in terms of funding.

Their email is [email protected] il.com

MFNSA has a bunch of events for the upcoming term, and would be happy to meet you if you could come out. I myself am a member of MFNSA, but the specific funding issues are not something I am too aware about.

You can also inquire in the Indigenous Studies department, which is Hamilton Hall 103 (which is in the basement), and talk to Garnette, the Admin Assistant.
Cheers!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 01-10-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2010 at 09:59 AM   #7
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
isn't tuition entirely free?
College programs longer than one year are free to Aboriginals. I don't think there are any special policies for Aboriginals in university.
Old 01-11-2010 at 11:06 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
College programs longer than one year are free to Aboriginals. I don't think there are any special policies for Aboriginals in university.
Maybe. If they can get band funding. It's not nearly as simple as you're making it out to be.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Last edited by lorend : 01-11-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo. ugh.
Old 01-11-2010 at 11:34 AM   #9
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
Maybe. If they can get band funding. It's not nearly as simple and you're making it out to be.
Obviously I don't have all the details, but it looked pretty easy for a friend of mine when she finished highschool. Her and her dad filled out a bunch of forms and she didn't have to pay tuition for Mohawk.
Old 01-11-2010 at 12:01 PM   #10
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

pardon my lack of understanding, but why do natives get special rights/free education?
Old 01-11-2010 at 12:12 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
pardon my lack of understanding, but why do natives get special rights/free education?
It's a stipulation as part of most, if not all treaties. However, not all Nations are part of a treaty or treaties.

Hence, again why it is not so simple.

This may give you a bit of insight: http://www.abo-peoples.org/CAPfaqAnswers.html

manu says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 01-11-2010 at 12:14 PM   #12
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

The government is trying to right the wrongs it has done to Native Canadians in the past. If you want to know more, you can consult a history textbook or just look on Wikipedia, im sure youve learnt about the history in grade 10.
Old 01-11-2010 at 12:15 PM   #13
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
I've been wondering that for 20 years.
Old 01-11-2010 at 12:17 PM   #14
Tleilaxu

Liked: 10 Times

This is one of those 'I will not touch this topic with a ten foot pole' situations.
Old 01-11-2010 at 12:33 PM   #15
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleilaxu View Post
This is one of those 'I will not touch this topic with a ten foot pole' situations.
Exactly why I didn't post last night when I saw this

Last edited by reeves : 01-11-2010 at 12:38 PM.