MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you do when your roommate is too nosy? AnnaWM Residence & Housing 32 08-05-2010 05:37 PM
Roommate discussion nikki12 Mary Keyes Forum 1 07-19-2010 08:19 PM
Surviving with a roommate Myaccount Residence & Housing 20 11-11-2009 11:06 AM
How do I email my roommate? Porsche First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-14-2009 04:04 PM

Gay roommate?

Old 12-29-2010 at 01:42 PM   #1
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Gay roommate?
Not from a personal experience, I've just always been curious about this, since it's generally a taboo subject. Does anyone know someone who was paired with a guy or girl in residence that was gay (or know someone who is gay that was paired with someone straight)? Did they come out during residence or after? How did the straight one react? Were there any special agreements made between the two roommates? I knew someone who was living with a lesbian roommate in residence but I've never really asked her about it.

Don't troll this topic please
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:46 PM   #2
killza

Liked: 105 Times

I think generally someone who is gay won't start hitting on their own room mate unless the room mate was also gay or just extremely extremely irresistible. Think about it this way, are you going to hit on or try to do something with your housemate of the opposite sex?
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:47 PM   #3
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Worst thread of 2010?

macbaby07 likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:49 PM   #4
lizziepizzie
aka Mrs. Henry Cavill

Liked: 423 Times

Yes, I know someone who had a gay roommate. It was no big deal at all. They didn't need to make any "special agreements." They were totally cool about it.
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:51 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

I totally agree with what killza said. I think the gay person would be careful of who to "hit on" especially if it's a roommate and they have to interact with them everyday..
Old 12-29-2010 at 01:55 PM   #6
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by killza View Post
I think generally someone who is gay won't start hitting on their own room mate unless the room mate was also gay or just extremely extremely irresistible. Think about it this way, are you going to hit on or try to do something with your housemate of the opposite sex?
You missed my point. That's the immature, stereotypical, homophobic fear when you are paired with a gay roommate. I was trying to get at stuff like, what was the initial reaction? What did they talk about in the first week? Has it changed their views on homophobia?

I brought it up because it's a very taboo topic of discussion that I know a lot of straight guys have thought about going into university.

And about your last point... funny you bring that up... haha that's all I'm going to say.
Old 12-29-2010 at 02:11 PM   #7
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Well, as someone who is openly gay I'll tell you my interesting experience:

So I spent the whole summer before uni freaking out beyond belief. Coming from a small town I've been subjected to homophobia from my peers in high school. I was scared crapless that I would have a homophobic roommate and that they would have all these assumptions about me. I even worried about my physical safety. I spoke to my roommate a few times before moving into rez, he seemed nice from what I could tell. Then when we moved in I began to wonder to myself "hmm is he gay?" Then I finally did a proper creep of him on facebook, and to my surprise he was also gay.

What are the odds of that happening eh? I still didn't really talk about my sexuality to him, we didn't really connect because of the Brandon Hall fire, so he found somewhere else to live while I decided to stay in a hotel then move back to Brandon. We still chat and see each other from time to time though.

But for the first few days in rez I was really hush hush about my sexuality, something I didn't really do, but then once we all started getting to know each other, I began to openly share my identity after feeling more comfortable around people. If my roommate was straight, I don't really know what special arrangements I'd want. I'd most likely wanted to be treated like I was just the average roommate. It's not like I'd be creepy or anything and watch them undress and whatnot, because I'd be creeped out if the same was happening to me.

And in terms of hitting on someone: I'm not hitting on anyone until I know for certain they are gay. For a variety of reasons, including safety. Unfortunately we live in a society constructed by heterosexism, so I have to be careful who I'm going to share my identity with, and who I can express my feelings with. In a perfect world the simple response would just be from anyone "oh sorry man, I'm not gay" and I would respond with "okay sorry, cool" but unfortunately not everyone is like that.

/end rant.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

Last edited by jamescw1234 : 12-29-2010 at 02:14 PM.

danallan, lorend all say thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

Old 12-29-2010 at 02:22 PM   #8
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

I don't think its big of a deal, I have a gay friend who was randomly placed with a roommate back in first year. And he told him from the first day that "I am gay, but I have no interest or reason to hit on you what so ever" And they never had a problem. Sure, the roommate was first more like ... WHY ME? but u know they never had an issue.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine
Old 12-29-2010 at 02:24 PM   #9
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Homosexuality is still taboo?

:S lol

killza, macsci, Mahratta like this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 02:47 PM   #10
Juve
Elite Member

Liked: 117 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
Well, as someone who is openly gay I'll tell you my interesting experience:

So I spent the whole summer before uni freaking out beyond belief. Coming from a small town I've been subjected to homophobia from my peers in high school. I was scared crapless that I would have a homophobic roommate and that they would have all these assumptions about me. I even worried about my physical safety. I spoke to my roommate a few times before moving into rez, he seemed nice from what I could tell. Then when we moved in I began to wonder to myself "hmm is he gay?" Then I finally did a proper creep of him on facebook, and to my surprise he was also gay.

What are the odds of that happening eh? I still didn't really talk about my sexuality to him, we didn't really connect because of the Brandon Hall fire, so he found somewhere else to live while I decided to stay in a hotel then move back to Brandon. We still chat and see each other from time to time though.

But for the first few days in rez I was really hush hush about my sexuality, something I didn't really do, but then once we all started getting to know each other, I began to openly share my identity after feeling more comfortable around people. If my roommate was straight, I don't really know what special arrangements I'd want. I'd most likely wanted to be treated like I was just the average roommate. It's not like I'd be creepy or anything and watch them undress and whatnot, because I'd be creeped out if the same was happening to me.

And in terms of hitting on someone: I'm not hitting on anyone until I know for certain they are gay. For a variety of reasons, including safety. Unfortunately we live in a society constructed by heterosexism, so I have to be careful who I'm going to share my identity with, and who I can express my feelings with. In a perfect world the simple response would just be from anyone "oh sorry man, I'm not gay" and I would respond with "okay sorry, cool" but unfortunately not everyone is like that.

/end rant.
Easy on the essays i know you like writing papers but it has only been a week since break so CALM DOWN SON

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 02:57 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

I know someone openly gay who was placed with a roommate who was VERY homophobic (and open about her disgust with the "gay lifestyle"). I'm pretty sure they just didn't speak at all after Dec or something, and made every effort to avoid each other. Everyone else I know has had pretty accepting roommates. They usually didn't bring it up, but also didn't try to hide it, and eventually the roommate pretty much figured it out.
Old 12-29-2010 at 03:30 PM   #12
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
Unfortunately we live in a society constructed by heterosexism.

/end rant.
well when ~90% of society of heterosexual it makes sense...
Old 12-29-2010 at 03:45 PM   #13
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
well when ~90% of society of heterosexual it makes sense...
I know, but I don't think we should assume everyone in society is heterosexual because it's not inclusive. Society in general is driven by dominance, the 'white, middle class, heterosexual, middle aged, able bodied male' is the perspective that drives most of society's norms. I think that it's really important that we challenge these norms and the dominance.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)

lorend says thanks to jamescw1234 for this post.

Lois likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 03:59 PM   #14
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

I totally agree with you it just came out the wrong way to me lol I hate how every movie protagonist is SWM (straight white male) and anything else gets classified as something else like a gay film or a black film its ridiculous. I also find it ridiculous that as a SWM myself society expects that I am going to succeed and that based on that I'm expected to be able to get jobs easier.

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 12-29-2010 at 04:41 PM   #15
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times

Quote:
I know, but I don't think we should assume everyone in society is heterosexual because it's not inclusive. Society in general is driven by dominance, the 'white, middle class, heterosexual, middle aged, able bodied male' is the perspective that drives most of society's norms. I think that it's really important that we challenge these norms and the dominance.
Did you take Anti-Oppressive Practice 2BB3 this past term? Your last 2 sentences scream Gary Dumbrill.