referencing in MLA format melmel Academics 4 10-05-2010 03:14 PM
Bio 3SS3 Format melchizedek Academics 0 01-11-2010 03:37 PM

General Essay Format

Old 10-05-2014 at 05:03 PM   #1
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time

General Essay Format
Hi,

I have a short essay due tomorrow and I'm just not sure how best to format it.
I don't mean in terms of the actual essay itself, I know how to structure an introduction, body and conclusion, but the more technical side of things.
I'm on exchange and am just unsure about how essays and such are expected to be presented here.
For instance, do I create a title myself? Or could the title simply be 'Hlth Age2G03 YouTube Assignment'?
Is there a faculty cover page I need to attach, or anything like that?
And how do I actually submit the essay? Is there a dropbox or online portal or do I just bring it to class?
Also, if an essay is due Monday the 6th, is there a specific time it needs to be submitted by?
Oh, and if it says 2 pages or whatever, is it okay to go under or over this without being deducted marks?
The prof. never gave any of this information, but I feel like it's too late to shoot him an email about it now ...
Please help, stressed.
Old 10-05-2014 at 05:16 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Usually you create a title yourself, but the type of title depends on the prof and assignment.

There is no standard university-wide cover page - some profs like you to have a cover page though, and some hate it because it's an extra page to flip through. Some really couldn't care less.

How you submit the essay depends on the prof/class - this should be posted somewhere. Same with the time - for example, if it's submitted in class then it would be class time, if it's submitted to a dropbox or online then there will be a specific time associated with the due date. This should all be posted somewhere. Check your course outline and the assignment itself.

Again, it depends on the prof how strict they are with page limits. Some will stop reading as soon as you are one word over, others will read it all but deduct marks, others just have it as a guide. You can usually go a bit under but not too much.

This is why you shouldn't leave things until the last minute - you can try emailing your prof but they may not respond over the weekend.
Old 10-05-2014 at 05:37 PM   #3
gallagherorla

Liked: 1 Time

Thanks so much for your help.
Unfortunately there are no details anywhere I can find about the submission, so I think I'll just send an email on avenue to the class.
I know, I'm usually not one to leave things to the last minute, which is why I am panicking a little now.
Since I'm a 3rd year I haven't had to think twice about essay format and submission in a while, and I guess I never really considered things could be done a lot differently over here. Until now.

Thanks again!