MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No more first generation bursary? cjdzl General Discussion 9 09-29-2011 03:59 PM
The greatest song of our generation. Stock General Discussion 62 03-19-2011 12:44 AM
Next generation of PSP, and it's 3D + touch! Chad Computers & Tech 12 01-28-2011 01:22 PM
First Generation Students lorend General Discussion 6 10-02-2007 09:48 AM

Generation Jobless

Members have rated post #357208 as the best response. Skip right to it!
Old 01-16-2013 at 12:03 PM   #31
RJK1990

Liked: 11 Times

Just so that we can all have a better idea as to where everyone is coming from with their ideologies, it would be great if you could also mention what experience you've gained or currently have.

There seems to be a mentality that if you get high marks, it makes finding a job easier, but what really matters is relevant experience. I have no doubt that everyone will apply to jobs in their field and put as much work into getting one as they did their school work, but what's crushing those in their mid-20's is applying to numerous jobs and never receiving a call back even though they did exactly as they were told to do in high school.

We can see each others year and program, but you can mention it again if you want.

To simplify, use the following format:

-never had a job

-past job, part-time - unrelated to discipline
-past job, part-time - related to discipline

-past job, full-time - unrelated to discipline
-past job, full-time - related to discipline

-Current job, part-time - unrelated to discipline
-Current, part-time - related to discipline

-Current, full-time - unrelated to discipline
-Current, full-time - related to discipline

----
Final year Chemistry major
Past job, full-time - unrelated to discipline (co-op placement)
Current job, part-time - unrelated to discipline
Old 01-16-2013 at 01:39 PM   #32
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK1990 View Post
Just so that we can all have a better idea as to where everyone is coming from with their ideologies, it would be great if you could also mention what experience you've gained or currently have.
-never had a job (2008)
-Past job, part-time - unrelated to disicipline (service industry) (summer 2010)
-Past job, part-time - semi-related to discipline (general labour) (2010)
-Past job, full-time - semi-related to discipline (productions) (summer 2011)
-Past job, part-time - semi-related to discipline (productions) (2011-2012)
-Current, part-time - semi-related to discipline (productions) (2011-current)

If I wanted to, I could just drop out of school and work full time doing general labour for 10-13$ an hour through contract/temp/service agencies no matter, but I want to do something fun...

There is something to be said about marks, but for the large part, its about work ethic, rather than raw numbers. If you're just studying to get good marks for tests and what have you instead of putting your time into truely knowing the material... well... it won't work out so well.

I also find a number of students are kind of immature or socially oblivious. Best example is people who sit around with people of their culture chattering up in their mother tongue... and when you go to work with them in the lab or something its just a very un-fun experience.. none of this has to do with school focus vs diversification, it's just not wanting to step out of your university bubble.
Old 01-17-2013 at 12:21 PM   #33
Allan
Elite Member

Liked: 115 Times

Just going to put in my 2 cents.

From reading the previous posts, I think it's important to understand that a good education alone will never guarantee a good job. Put yourself in the shoes of employers, education is only one factor that they look at. Other common areas that employers evaluate are: extracurricular activities, personality type, demonstrable skills in previous experience, even your name and appearance matter. If your name is hard to pronounce and you're ugly...it makes it more difficult for employers to connect with you.

Further, like the video shows, more people enter into programs than there are jobs in the market for that field. There's not necessarily anything wrong with this...life is about survival of the fittest, and only the best candidates should get the jobs. Students should take these risks into account when choosing a field of study...however, the only problem is that this is an inefficient way for people to discover that they aren't cut out for the types of jobs they want to work in.

Lastly, yes...people in trades make good money and don't need to invest as much in education. However, there's obviously a shortage of people that want to work in the trades because it is not a glamorous profession. Try picking up girls by telling them you're a plumber, carpenter, bricklayer...versus telling them you're a doctor, lawyer, banker, etc. That's just our mentality in society, and it won't change any time soon.
Old 01-17-2013 at 07:36 PM   #34
SydWitches
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Generation incompetent-useless-people-that-wouldn't-have-jobs-anyways*
best post. <12 chars>
Old 01-30-2013 at 10:41 AM   #35
RJK1990

Just reminding everyone that doc zones "Generation Jobless" airs tomorrow on CBC

Here's an article that summarizes it.

Hopefully everyone can make time to watch it. It repeats on the weekend too

http://www.cbc.ca/doczone/episode/ge...n-jobless.html
Old 01-30-2013 at 01:28 PM   #36
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan View Post
Just going to put in my 2 cents.

From reading the previous posts, I think it's important to understand that a good education alone will never guarantee a good job. Put yourself in the shoes of employers, education is only one factor that they look at. Other common areas that employers evaluate are: extracurricular activities, personality type, demonstrable skills in previous experience, even your name and appearance matter. If your name is hard to pronounce and you're ugly...it makes it more difficult for employers to connect with you.

Further, like the video shows, more people enter into programs than there are jobs in the market for that field. There's not necessarily anything wrong with this...life is about survival of the fittest, and only the best candidates should get the jobs. Students should take these risks into account when choosing a field of study...however, the only problem is that this is an inefficient way for people to discover that they aren't cut out for the types of jobs they want to work in.

Lastly, yes...people in trades make good money and don't need to invest as much in education. However, there's obviously a shortage of people that want to work in the trades because it is not a glamorous profession. Try picking up girls by telling them you're a plumber, carpenter, bricklayer...versus telling them you're a doctor, lawyer, banker, etc. That's just our mentality in society, and it won't change any time soon.
just a friendly counter.... when we're younger most students dont have as much money as people working full time. try picking up girls after they realize you cant pamper them until your older lol. and those in some physical trades stay in good shape for the most of their lives. compared to a long-time student/professional who has rolley polley from sitting at a desk all the time. omg women are soooo superficial. can they just appreciate whats on the inside? just my 3 cents
Old 01-30-2013 at 10:37 PM   #37
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

as someone whose worked with a professional designation (project management & scheduling) at an appropriate position (estimator and supply chain management). let me tell you that this vid is wrong. lol.

it was clearly made to entertain, and it did.

jim1 likes this.
Old 01-31-2013 at 09:54 AM   #38
RJK1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
as someone whose worked with a professional designation (project management & scheduling) at an appropriate position (estimator and supply chain management). let me tell you that this vid is wrong. lol.

it was clearly made to entertain, and it did.
It is very important to take the information in tonight's program with a grain of salt.
The data is based on statistics, where 15% of young people in their 20s are unemployed/underemployed. Therefore 85% are successful (like yourself). However, as is also mentioned, this is double the national average.

The majority are fine, but it's the rising minority that is the cause for concern and is the basis for the documentary.

So it's not that it's wrong, it's that they highlight the negative growing trend based on statistics
Old 01-31-2013 at 11:14 AM   #39
mastercool

Liked: 22 Times

I'd imagine that there is probably a lot of under-reported data as well.

As strange as this is to believe, I know a lot of b.comm grads (so called "useful" degrees) working at various tele-bank call centres and/or un/underemployed - hardly what I would call a success.

The most successful people that I know of are those who gained some kind of professional work credential - whether that be doctor of optometry, completing apprenticeship in electrical, nursing/pharmacy degree etc.
Old 01-31-2013 at 02:49 PM   #40
Melanieee
Cla$$y Lady

Liked: 103 Times

I think it has alot to do with job experience during university. Alot of people graduate having never had a job, or only having had worked at a grocery store.

I highly recommend co-op! All the girls I live with are jealous because I have relevant work experience and have some pretty great references and networks of people, and I think I'll get a valuable job after graduation.

Because yea, a good number of bachelors programs do not equal an automatic job right after graduation.