Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
80%80%80%
Easiness
30%30%30%
Average 73%
Geog 2GI3

The course was taught by Pat DeLuca. It was a difficult course, spent about 5-6 hours weekly just on this class alone. It is an interesting course, if you dedicate enough time for it.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Geog 2GI3!

Old 08-16-2011 at 09:04 AM   #2
lyonsnew

Liked: 3 Times
For overall importance everyone is Geography should be taking this course. Of all my friends who got jobs in the 'real world' not one hasn't had to at least understand GIS.
Old 12-26-2011 at 03:52 PM   #3
devdjd
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time
Great class!
I have to say it was challenging in that I had to manage my time with my overload this year. If you got stuck on some lab questions, it took me hours to figure it out until I asked someone for help. So make friends in this class because it will be worth it. And for those who complain it is hard, this is one the most useful technologies out there in geography, never mind marketing, biology, and many many other fields. One is not going to go anywhere unlessy you put some effort and passion into your work (besides networking ;P). I also did some job searches in GIS and found jobs in LA, Florida, South America, and across Canada. When studying geography, this is something novel, and the old ways of doing things are slowly becoming extinct.

If you are ambitious and want a great job that incorporates all that you study, take this

Cheers
Old 12-11-2013 at 11:53 AM   #4
Craigolas

Liked: 0 Times
I took this course in summer school with Pat Deluca. Initially, I started taking it with Dr. Darren Scott in Fall Semester but I found the lab work difficult on top of my regular course load. This course is an introduction to GIS and consists of lectures and labs. It is recommended that you work in groups because it makes it so much easier and less frustrating. The labs start out pretty easy but they get progressively harder and build on the skills that you learned in previous labs. Unless you are really skilled with computers, you will have a hard time with the labs (not going to sugar-coat it). Although if you enjoy it and complete the other GIS courses, there are A LOT of in-demand GIS jobs.

Old 12-11-2013 at 03:48 PM   #5
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
I took this course in Spring 2012 with Dr. Deluca. It was an ok course but I wouldn't say it was easy. Since it was at summer school, everything is more piled up and you really need to dedicate your time even outside of class to work on the labs. As the other posters mentioned, it is essential to work in groups in this class because it is helpful and you will get the lab done faster. If you really like GIS and working with computers, this is the right course for you. I also took 3GI3 and that one was even harder than this class...
Old 12-23-2013 at 01:03 AM   #6
escape

Liked: 38 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akikokoyoki View Post
I took this course in Spring 2012 with Dr. Deluca. It was an ok course but I wouldn't say it was easy. Since it was at summer school, everything is more piled up and you really need to dedicate your time even outside of class to work on the labs. As the other posters mentioned, it is essential to work in groups in this class because it is helpful and you will get the lab done faster. If you really like GIS and working with computers, this is the right course for you. I also took 3GI3 and that one was even harder than this class...
What exactly makes it harder than say other courses?
What exactly are you doing in these labs?

Also, would you recommend buying the textbook for this course?
Old 12-23-2013 at 11:52 AM   #7
akikokoyoki
The Welcome Wagon
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 101 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
What exactly makes it harder than say other courses?
What exactly are you doing in these labs?

Also, would you recommend buying the textbook for this course?
In the labs, there are assignments that you work on using ArcGIS software. The lab assignment itself has has instructions on how to do the assignment and they are all time consuming. That's why I said you need to dedicate time even outside of class to do them. What makes it harder is pretty much the lab itself that's why it's best to work in groups in the labs. The concepts taught in lectures are applied in the lab and easy to understand. In order to do well, you really need to study the concepts for the tests. Textbook wise, it is recommended to have but it is only used for further explanation of course materials taught in class.

The same textbook is also used for 3GI3 (Advanced Raster GIS) and 3GV3 (Advanced Vector GIS)

escape says thanks to akikokoyoki for this post.

escape likes this.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search