MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help deciding math 1a03 or math 1ls3 omgwtfitsp Academics 1 09-11-2011 01:55 PM
Math 1LS3 Final Exam jeboi7 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 02-06-2011 12:24 AM
Help needed fast: Math 1LS3 vs Math 1A03 luna Academics 3 09-15-2010 07:59 PM
Completed MATH 1LS3 but need to take MATH 1A03 too jachill Academics 3 04-22-2009 02:31 PM

How to get a 90% on math 1ls3 exam?

Old 06-06-2012 at 10:58 PM   #16
User22
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

good luck drpatel ! im sure ull kill it ! just think of it as only 6 days to study then ur free ! give it your all ! best of luck
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:14 AM   #17
WalkerBlue

Liked: 73 Times

Smash practice problems all day long.
Old 06-07-2012 at 09:39 AM   #18
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by User22 View Post
OMG you guys are amazing ! thnksss soo much! all i have to do is make every second of my life until the 27th dedicated to math 1ls3 and i will ace it ! thanks soo much and love all your suggestions. I will definitely take it into consideration!
I think this is highly unnecessary. I thought you deferred the exam? You wouldn't need "every second of your life until the 27th"* even if you hadn't taken the course before. If you went to classes and wrote the midterms, you should only have to do some basic review for a few days before the exam.

Besides, if it takes you 20 full days to study for one exam in (what is likely) the easiest Math course at McMaster, what are you going to do in second or third year physics/math/chem courses when you have 3-5 exams in 7-14 days?

*And yes I am aware this is an exaggeration but the idea is that you need to study "a lot" for this exam when that is likely not required to do well.

Silver likes this.
Old 06-07-2012 at 10:09 AM   #19
swarly

Liked: 7 Times

Yeah I did 1LS3 this past year and just go over all the old tests that are included in your course pack. Go over ALL the assignments and your old tests. And when I say go over, I mean actually redo them because on our final exam several questions were taken directly from these assignments/past tests and quite a few were the same which just altered numbers/equations.
Old 06-07-2012 at 10:20 AM   #20
Toast
Elite Member

Liked: 258 Times

Answer 90% of the questions correctly.

biochemer, britb like this.
Old 06-07-2012 at 11:55 AM   #21
scarletfire

Liked: 2 Times

I found that when I study for math, I found that the best way to study is to find a pattern in the practice problems. Instead of subbing in numbers early, leave the variable in there and just solve for what you want to solve for. The steps will become complicated, but if you made a mistake and you found where you went wrong, you'll know how to find that mistake on the exam when your check and solution doesn't match.

I believe that it's not the practice that makes you being able to get 90%, but being able to understand what you're doing. Instead of doing 20 problems, being able to do 5 and understand it is far better. And you know that you're almost done studying when you can make up a problem yourself, solve, and check it.

Lastly, if you memorize some of the formulas, you spend less time looking for the formula and more time on actually doing the question. Actually, I didn't just sit there and memorize it. It came along with doing homework, practice problems, etc.

Anyways, sorry for this long paragraph, but that's what allowed me to get a 12 in math 1A03 (not to brag, but to show you that it works and that I'm not full of BS).

EDIT: did I mention sleep yet? and having fun? As alchemist11 said, it's most likely one of the easiest math courses at Mac. If you spend just 2-3 hours a day studying for it (this period of time excludes procrastination, watching youtube while studying, etc) , and spend the rest of your time on work/play/chilling, you should be good.
Old 06-09-2012 at 01:17 AM   #22
biochemer

Liked: 11 Times

This is 1LS3 right? Practice, yes. What in particular: INTEGRATION (even though it might have been taught in the last 2 weeks of the course). That's how it was when I took it 4 years ago. Know everything else, but master integration, and you'll be fine.
Good luck
Old 06-09-2012 at 03:36 AM   #23
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

Note: Approximately 50-70% of the final exam consists of the material presented since the last midterm/quiz (That means integration etc. is quite important).
Old 06-11-2012 at 06:07 AM   #24
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Doesn't matter what math course it is, you just have to spread your studying out over the whole term to reinforce the concepts.. and repetition.. math tests are all about type-questions, and once you're able to recognize and get familiar with all these different types, you're golden!