MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
res application linsalex114 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 10 03-22-2010 06:29 PM
ca application manu Residence & Housing 12 01-13-2010 10:14 AM
TA application AndyJones General Discussion 1 11-27-2009 09:44 AM
Mac Swim Team - high school student seeks info marsmars General Discussion 2 11-23-2009 05:23 PM
Mature Student question(s) reeves First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-09-2009 02:35 AM

Where to get info for application for mature student ?

Old 01-29-2009 at 01:16 PM   #1
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Where to get info for application for mature student ?
A friend of mine is thinking about applying to Mac. He has his highschool equivalency diploma (or whatever they call it). He has been out of school for a while.

I was wondering where I could start to get him information from? He wants to apply but there's not much info on the site, and I don't remember anything since it was all done through my highschool so many years ago.

So is there an office I can go to that has brochures, information, flyers, that kind of stuff for people who want to apply to Mac?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009 at 01:28 PM   #2
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/index.html
Look there.

If you can't find it, contact someone, use the info on the bottom (phone number, email, etc)
Old 02-02-2009 at 02:45 PM   #3
itsmarley

Liked: 0 Times

http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /future/other-mature.html
Old 02-02-2009 at 07:46 PM   #4
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Thanks!

But what's this about?

"The Faculty of Engineering, the Arts & Science Program, the Bachelor of Health Sciences Program, the Medical Radiation Sciences Program, the Kinesiology Program, and the Integrated Sciences Program do not admit mature students."

How come?
Old 02-02-2009 at 09:09 PM   #5
nh999
Elite Member

Liked: 15 Times

Not sure, but I'm guessing it has something to do with 1) extremely limited enrollment (only top students are admitted into these specialized programs) and 2) the intensity of the programs, so I guess they prefer students that have been continuously in school over people who have had a prolonged break from school.

So that means you can only apply to Commerce, Science, SocSci or Humanities, which are broader programs.
Old 02-02-2009 at 10:35 PM   #6
a-max

Strange. I'm pretty sure I saw at least a few people in my eng classes that are +30 (doesn't count any of the random upper years I see). Either they changed their policy or if you have excellent credentials, you can go talk to the registrar
Old 02-02-2009 at 11:45 PM   #7
bauhaual

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
Thanks!

But what's this about?

"The Faculty of Engineering, the Arts & Science Program, the Bachelor of Health Sciences Program, the Medical Radiation Sciences Program, the Kinesiology Program, and the Integrated Sciences Program do not admit mature students."

How come?
Hmmm...this does seem like a very strange statement. I'm in Medical Radiation Science and we have a few mature students (4 or 5 or so). I definately had two in my class at one time! Maybe it's a newer rule...but that does seem weird.
Old 02-03-2009 at 07:50 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-max View Post
Strange. I'm pretty sure I saw at least a few people in my eng classes that are +30 (doesn't count any of the random upper years I see). Either they changed their policy or if you have excellent credentials, you can go talk to the registrar
Not neccessarily. You can take high school courses at night, so it's possible that they took the high school courses they needed and then applied as a regular student.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 02-26-2009 at 03:30 PM   #9
itsmarley

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-max View Post
It is also possible that these people who are of an older age already obtain some sort of degree or certification in a field that qualifies them to be enrolled in an engineering program.

Mature Student's are typically students who did not graduate secondary school with grades that are considered satisfactory to the university. Hence why a mature student is only permitted to take 3 united per semester... like a probationary period until the grades have been reviewed.