MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Student Card lauracs First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-05-2010 11:52 AM
first yr student card question - HELP!! rmfldkdtm First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-04-2010 01:45 PM
Question for first year social science student DJ_JJ First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 05-23-2009 12:27 AM
Where to get info for application for mature student ? HeatherH General Discussion 8 02-26-2009 03:30 PM
I question if im an engineering student..I have a nice timetable? kenvin100 Academics 4 08-10-2008 07:57 PM

Mature Student question(s)

Old 08-04-2009 at 12:38 PM   #1
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Mature Student question(s)
So I'm coming to Mac as a mature student in the Faculty of Social Sciences, and as a result, I can only take 9 units per term for the first year (18 units total). As I understand it, and I could be wrong, you apply to the level II program you want to do around March. To get into the level II programs that I'm looking at, they require completion of a level 1 program, which is 30 units, with grade requirements, of course. It's only possible for me to complete 30 units first year if I do my 18 units, then take 4 classes in the summer term. How will this affect me for the level II program? Anyone here done this already, or know anyone that has? Of course, I may also have no idea what I'm talking about, and if that's the case, feel free to correct me.
Old 08-04-2009 at 08:05 PM   #2
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

I've never heard of the mature student stipulation before, but I'm assuming you can get into level 2 by taking 4 summer classes! Because I know a few people who got their admission into second year honours programs thing deffered until the release of their summer school grades(They didn't have the 6.0). But I would suggest in issues like these your best bet is the registrars office!

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

reeves says thanks to huzaifa47 for this post.
Old 08-04-2009 at 09:06 PM   #3
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

There might be issues with scheduling and the availability of courses. But it's definitely possible if you manage to get all of the required courses and prereqs for second year.

reeves says thanks to Lois for this post.
Old 08-05-2009 at 11:00 AM   #4
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

From what I've read, the stipulation for mature students is correct reeves. And yes, you do apply for your Year II program in March-ish.

What will happen (or I assume, since I've not been through this myself) is you will apply to three programs. (I think? I forget, it's been a long time since I applied). After your final grades are released in May, you will (likely) get one of two outcomes:
  • Conditional offer of acceptance (pending you take x amount of courses)
  • or denied from all programs, and will just be accepted as a second year student in your faculty.
Either way, since you will be taking more courses during the summer months you have the option to make up any credits you would otherwise be deficient in from the regular academic year, and this can allow you to be accepted into a program you would otherwise be denied from in May.

If for some reason you aren't accepted into a program (so you're just a general student in no specific program) it's not really a big deal. You would just need to shadow/mirror your desired program (so take all of the courses you would need to take if you were in a specific program).

Your best bet, however is to contact your faculty office sometime in the spring and ask them what exactly will or can happen.

Unfortunately most users on MI are students coming directly out of high school, so I'm not really sure if anyone can provide help to you through what they experienced.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

reeves says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:02 PM   #5
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Does anyone know how this would affect programs which are unlikely to have courses during the summer? (Like say, Nursing)

Would you have to take your compulsory credits during the year, and load up on electives during the summer?
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:08 PM   #6
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I know someone in Nursing now who is taking four courses this summer so she doesn't have to take her electives during the year, as she feels they often drag her marks down.

I don't think there are many courses/programs that are like Nursing in that respect (maybe Med Rad?). I think all other programs offer at least one or two classes you can take as part of your compulsory credits.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Mowicz says thanks to lorend for this post.
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:14 PM   #7
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

I could be way off on this, so please double check.

Because you're a part-time student, and thus not taking as many classes as a full-time student, the expectation would be that you're not going to be applying for level II programs until March 2011, no?

By that point you'll be on your way to completing the required 30 credit hours by the end of that April.

Your "year" is based on the number of credit hours you've completed, not the actual number of years you've been taking courses at McMaster. So they wouldn't expect you to be applying this year.
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:17 PM   #8
Mowicz
Elite Member

Thanks (: (My sister is a mature student considering nursing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I don't think there are many courses/programs that are like Nursing in that respect (maybe Med Rad?). I think all other programs offer at least one or two classes you can take as part of your compulsory credits.
Just for the record, Nursing, Med Rad Sci, and Kinesiology are three programs which definitely do not offer compulsory courses during the summer. There may be others...but I'm pretty sure it's just the quote unquote "Specialized" Programs. Namely, those courses which require you to be in the specific faculty...although I'm not sure why Anatomy is never offered, that's open to just about everyone.

--------------------

@Bobble: I think reeves' point is that he doesn't want to 'miss a year' so to speak. He'd rather hit Level II in Sept 2010, if at all possible, and so he's curious if it is possible.
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:19 PM   #9
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Also, you don't need 30 units to be put into level II. It just may prevent you from being accepted into particular degree programs (Honors, perhaps?).

I was accepted into level II with 27 units, and have read (although I'm not sure where as well as when) you can do it with 24.

Old 08-05-2009 at 04:23 PM   #10
Bobble

Liked: 33 Times

Ah, gotcha. I wonder if the school would allow a part time student to take that many summer courses since it allows them to side-step some of the restrictions they're placing on part-time students.

The reason I bring this up is because part-timers pay less with regard to some fees (I believe) and finding a way to pay part-time fees and still finish 30 credit hours in a year might not sit well with the bean counters. (but if they do allow it, take advantage of it and save some $$!)
Old 08-05-2009 at 04:27 PM   #11
Mowicz
Elite Member

I think I know what you're refering to...union fees and such? The summer school fees are paid separately though, so even if you take 30 units over the entire 11 month period (as opposed to the 8 month period) you're still part time.**

However, taking 12 units in the summer is considered 'full time' so you'd have to pay the full fees for the summer term.
Old 08-08-2009 at 10:55 PM   #12
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Med Rad Sci, are three programs which definitely do not offer compulsory courses during the summer.
Maybe not first year. However, everyone I know in med rad just had to take a bunch of courses together this summer otherwise they wouldn't be able to do their clinical in September. You have to do clinical in your fourth year so I would assume that what they took was compulsory.
Old 08-09-2009 at 02:35 AM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Yes sorry, I meant first year (I thought it went without saying).

I think Med Rad Sci has some 2 and 3rd year courses worth like 5 credits or something, practicuum courses...for a specialization or something like that.