MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To all the ppl on SOLAR Goran Academics 22 06-07-2012 05:52 AM
Macinsiders running faster? Reda General Discussion 8 01-25-2012 11:46 AM
just got into solar but.. Reda General Discussion 10 07-12-2011 09:06 AM
Unlock Portal 2 Faster! ShadowPlay Gaming 2 04-15-2011 12:15 PM
solar help jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-09-2010 09:43 AM

How to Get in SOLAR Faster!!!

Old 08-09-2012 at 04:33 PM   #31
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

I got in again, but I was so fascinated with the program running that I forgot to click Stop..

BlackSheepWa, mmatm like this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 04:44 PM   #32
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I WON! I GOT IN I GOT IN!!!
Thank you so so so soooooooooo much!!!! I wish I saw your thread earlier maybe I would've got the course I wanted but that's ok it seems I'm gonna have another battle with SOLAR again lol
But honestly you just did an AMAZING job ^W^
Thank you so very much :')

BlackSheepWa says thanks to Galanthus for this post.

-Ish-, BlackSheepWa like this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 04:49 PM   #33
Khan786

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepWa View Post
Hello Everyone and 1st Years!

Solar sucks, it's a fact. For the first years here, let this be your first real life lesson about the dangers of bureaucrats and bureaucracy. The fact the most vital component of the entire McMaster system, the class registration system, is so vitally flawed and has been like this for so long is indicative of mass waste of resources, and symptomatic of "kick the can down the road" disease. In other words, your administrators care very little for you and the system / network administrators don't deserve their salary that comes from your tuition.

I'm willing to bet that if you picked out a handful of smart kids from the CompSci / Eng program and got them to rewrite a modern system as a summer project coordinated by a professor, it would be a hundred times more efficient than the current system. I could make a web app myself that would check for course conflicts, let people add and drop courses, make a queue system, allow waivers, and check for pre-reqs and anti-reqs in a weekend and comp sci isn't even my major so imagine what they could do!

Rant aside, I have a way to- make it easier getting into Solar. It involves running a small script that refreshes the page for you as if you were clicking Close and clicking SOLAR again but you don't have to do it. For people wondering "Why can't I just press F5?".

The problem with pressing F5 is that you are reloading this page which is just the error screen redirect.

Code:
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/cis/ahtml/solrmax.htm
Instead, you want to be loading this page which is hidden and not accessible from Mugsi. Try it out. Go to the first link I gave you and you will get the error screen. Now try going to the link below and you will get a login screen! This is because the first link is just a static redirect page while the second link checks to see if there is room for you on Solar but first it checks to see if you are logged in. The first page doesn't check your log in status.

Code:
https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/mugsi/si0
Lets Get to It

First and foremost, download Firefox if you don't already have it and get the addon called iMacros. I can't post the link so just Google it.

Okay now follow along on this picture.

1. Click that Icon with the yellow gear to open iMacros
2. Right click on #Current.iim and chose Edit Macro. Paste the code below then close the window.

Code:
VERSION BUILD=7500718 RECORDER=FX URL GOTO=https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/mugsi/si0 WAIT SECONDS=5
3. Choose the amount of times to repeat or loop. I just put it to 100. Then click Play (Loop) to start.
4. Click play. Now it is as if you were opening and closing SOLAR manually.

All you have to do now is click STOP to prevent the loop from reloading the page when you get in! You have 5 seconds to do so.

The way I do it is I just set the loop on my second monitor and I can see it in the corner of my eye when I get the SOLAR page and I stop the loop.

NOTES:
  • Make sure you are logged in before hand.
  • If this is too much work, you can just set up a small bookmark icon on your bookmark bar with the previous link above that ends /mugsi/si0 so that you don't have to close out and click again. You only need to click that bookmarklet.
  • If you're skeptical this works, try putting the Tax Cert url instead of going on SOLAR. You'll see you get refreshed there.
    Code:
    https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/mugsi/taxcert
  • If you want more proof, use the link below in your script instead of the /mugsi/si0 one above and see how much faster the page reloads. The reason is because this is the static error screen and doesn't require any server processing whereas the other one I linked to earlier has to check if there is room for you to go on Solar
    Code:
    https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/cis/ahtml/solrmax.htm

If anyone's good with Javascript and has time to experiment, the best method would be to write a small script that checks to see if the reloaded page has "The maximum allowable..." and if it does then keep reloading. If it doesn't then end the script since it means you got in. This way you don't have to manually stop it.

Good luck!

EDIT: 3:45 PM

I got in twice so far since I posted this thread at 3:00 PM. I've been replying in the mean time and only used the 100 loops. So I got in twice each 100 loops. So that means it took about 16 minutes to get in!

I am keep trying to do it but I think there is something that I am doing wrong. Can you please help me out. I download iMacrom but how do you put current under the demo firefox. Please help me.
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:02 PM   #34
Galanthus
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

you just click on Demo-Archieve.iim
He just renamed his which you can do too but it's the first one right after the Demo-Firefox folder
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:02 PM   #35
BlackSheepWa

Liked: 16 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by saba1992 View Post
I am keep trying to do it but I think there is something that I am doing wrong. Can you please help me out. I download iMacrom but how do you put current under the demo firefox. Please help me.
See this post, clarifies it up:

http://www.macinsiders.com/showpost.... &postcount=12
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:03 PM   #36
BlackSheepWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galanthus View Post
I WON! I GOT IN I GOT IN!!!
Thank you so so so soooooooooo much!!!! I wish I saw your thread earlier maybe I would've got the course I wanted but that's ok it seems I'm gonna have another battle with SOLAR again lol
But honestly you just did an AMAZING job ^W^
Thank you so very much :')
Your very welcome Galanthus!

Galanthus says thanks to BlackSheepWa for this post.

Galanthus likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:17 PM   #37
lobstersongs

Liked: 9 Times

For all you Mac users out there, here's a small program that will do the same thing.

Steps:
1. Unzip the file
2. Log into MUGSI in Safari
3. Run the program
4. Wait for an alert saying you are now on SOLAR
Attached Files
File Type: zip AutoSolar.zip (50.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:20 PM   #38
jon.john23
Elite Member

Liked: 130 Times

wow thnx for this and the add-on

this is gonna be really useful for other stuff and its not hard to use
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:22 PM   #39
BlackSheepWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstersongs View Post
For all you Mac users out there, here's a small program that will do the same thing.

Steps:
1. Unzip the file
2. Log into MUGSI in Safari
3. Run the program
4. Wait for an alert saying you are now on SOLAR
Good stuff, any chance you could paste the code directly for us non Mac users?
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:24 PM   #40
lobstersongs

Liked: 9 Times

I can but sadly it's just an applescript. Here's the code anyways:
Code:
set expected to "https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/cis/ahtml/solrmax.htm" repeat tell application "Safari" to set the URL of the front document to "https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/mugsi/si0" tell application "Safari" to get the URL of the front document delay 5 tell application "Safari" set theURL to URL of front document as string end tell if theURL is not equal to expected then exit repeat end if end repeat do shell script "afplay /System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff" display alert "DONE!!!"
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:25 PM   #41
BlackSheepWa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobstersongs View Post
I can but sadly it's just an applescript. Here's the code anyways:
Code:
set expected to "https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/cis/ahtml/solrmax.htm" repeat tell application "Safari" to set the URL of the front document to "https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca/mugsi/si0" tell application "Safari" to get the URL of the front document delay 5 tell application "Safari" set theURL to URL of front document as string end tell if theURL is not equal to expected then exit repeat end if end repeat do shell script "afplay /System/Library/Sounds/Submarine.aiff" display alert "DONE!!!"
No worries. Thanks again, maybe someone can convert it to VB or Javascript
Old 08-09-2012 at 05:37 PM   #42
alysia

Liked: 1 Time

Much appreciated, OP. Works like a charm.

BlackSheepWa likes this.
Old 08-09-2012 at 06:16 PM   #43
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

This deserves a sticky
Old 08-09-2012 at 07:35 PM   #44
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

All my classes only have 1 core section and its really not worth moving my labs around since 4/5 days have em :/
Old 08-09-2012 at 07:35 PM   #45
Darknight23

Liked: 0 Times

Thank you BlackSheepWa 7 hours of trying to get into solar,but with you tips i got into solar within 10 minutes.Thank you!!!!!!