MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To all the ppl on SOLAR Goran Academics 22 06-07-2012 05:52 AM
Macinsiders running faster? Reda General Discussion 8 01-25-2012 11:46 AM
just got into solar but.. Reda General Discussion 10 07-12-2011 09:06 AM
Unlock Portal 2 Faster! ShadowPlay Gaming 2 04-15-2011 12:15 PM
solar help jon.john23 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 07-09-2010 09:43 AM

How to Get in SOLAR Faster!!!

Old 08-09-2012 at 07:41 PM   #46
VastHorizon
Elite Member

Liked: 128 Times

Time for a MUGSI CAPTCHA.
Old 01-07-2013 at 05:45 PM   #47
Cumulonimbus

Liked: 0 Times

There are automatic clicker extensions for Chrome, which I've heard are fairly effective
Old 06-06-2013 at 08:18 PM   #48
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

What Chrome extension are you using? Share link
Old 06-06-2013 at 08:47 PM   #49
goo.lagoon

help!!! can't find #current.im
I can't find #current.im under Demo-Firefox. What should I do?
Old 06-06-2013 at 11:24 PM   #50
Nine

Liked: 1 Time

Any of the .im files will do just fine.
Old 06-06-2013 at 11:48 PM   #51
MrPlinkett
Account Locked

Liked: 201 Times

What if everyone starts using it? You will not be able to join anyway. And when you are using, you are basically ripping off someone else who can't join, so at the end there's still a bottleneck.

I think at this point, McMaster might as well start using mail pigeons, won't do any worse.

lalalola2011 likes this.
Old 06-07-2013 at 12:04 AM   #52
huzaifa47
MSU VP Education 2012-2013

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSheepWa View Post
The problem is the ineptitude of the administrators which affects people who are paying a lot of money to be here. Most new kids coming in are young, and inexperienced and this will be the first major financial undertaking they will make.

They try to get the courses they need and then they have to go through hoops in order to get a spot. Then, they have to spend hours hoping to get into SOLAR to select their classes and if they are lucky, the class won't be full yet.

This is lunacy, to expect paying customers to line up and click a button hundreds of times to get in. You could say "nobody is forcing anyone to click a button and wait hours to get onto Solar". But that's not fair and it's very deceitful. You put people to compete against each other in order to get into classes. It invokes the "Screw you, I got mine" mentality and the "If I don't get in now, someone else will before me" mentality.

Can you imagine if any business was run like this? Could you imagine if TD Canada told me to refresh the page before I could log in to make payments? I would switch in a heartbeat. Thats free market at work. More over, I'm at work right now and I had to waste my morning to re arrange a course and to get in. I wasted company time for SOLAR but luckily my boss was understanding. What we have here at McMaster is no incentive for them to change anything for the better. Like any bureacratic beast, it sucks in cash and spits out waste.

What I should expect from a university that prides itself on being innovative and ahead of the curve in the 21st century is a scaleable server that can handle at least 20,000 connections at once. If you cannot even design your software and servers to handle 20,000 people concurrently (the max amount of students if everyone were to log in at once) then you are drag on public resources. MacInsiders can handle 20,000 people at once but McMaster can't. Give me a break, there is no defending what is going on here. Any systems / network engineer worth his salt would create a queue system or would instruct the servers to deny any new connections so that the servers feeding the homepage and other components do not crash at 9:30 am on a weekday.

World class, yea right.
Hereee we go again sigh

So, Back in Winter 2010 McMaster did actually kick start a $50 Million Enterprise Resource Planning integrated systems project to replace the cobwebbed, randomly modified legacy systems from the 90's that the entire University was being held together by.

I've been the student rep on the Steering Committee of the project (which used to be called Systems Renewal but is now called MOSAIC) and have spent over 300 hours in countless fit/gap workshops, design and stakeholder consultation meetings since the new ERP system will affect thousands of workers and variables.

The new system comes packaged with a state of the art Oracle powered student registration system which will go live in Summer 2015, which is honestly the earliest it could go since the resources project while high priority cannot takeover the day to day job of the relevant staff members for long periods of time.

You can check out the website here: http://www.mcmaster.ca/mosaic/index.html

It's not as simple as designing a simple server better or adding more bandwidth or other random and "obvious" suggestions I've seen thrown out (even by CompScis oddly enough); ERP systems are interconnected and they all have to be built together which takes time.

While not the best advertised, the Sillhouette newspaper did a few feature articles on this project (especially last year); I would highly suggest everyone to make it a habit of skimming through that free newspaper in print or online to keep up to date with what's happening on campus.

Year after Year I've seen impassioned rants about SOLAR and time after time I've had to do this spiel, which I definitely needed to in the past since the project was more underground but starting last year has become fully public.

MSU Vice President Education '12/13

Last edited by huzaifa47 : 06-07-2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: edited link

Commie42 likes this.
Old 06-09-2013 at 11:39 PM   #53
NA19

Liked: 1 Time

julianface, you are amazing! THANK YOU.
Old 06-24-2013 at 01:36 AM   #54
vandidant

Liked: 3 Times

Guys with some computer literacy, here's the basic concept of a simple script with no parsing or any complicated stuff that got through in 5 minutes: Open https://adweb.cis.mcmaster.ca /mugsi/si0 once every 1000ms, loop 120 times. Check back in 2 minutes, or keep the window in the corner of your eye. When complete, manually fly through all the tabs quickly to check for lack of red bar/presence of black text. If not, repeat. If yes, curse SOLAR and enjoy the rest of your midnight.
Old 06-25-2013 at 12:30 AM   #55
Zaya

Oh my goodness. I can't believe what I'm going through right now. I literally think I'll be up all night trying to just get in.

Your method was fantastic. It worked the first try. But idek what I touched or what happened but the next thing I know, I'm logged out. My 45 minutes had practically just begun. This was at 12:45am. It is now 1:30 and I'm still trying to get back in and still using this method. It's becoming so frustrating and I want to throw my laptop at the wall.
Old 06-25-2013 at 01:30 AM   #56
Zaya

God bless you for this clever little way to get into SOLAR. It really does work. I'm finally done. Although two of the courses I wanted to take were completely full by the time I really got started

I'm gonna for sure be using this again next year
Old 06-26-2013 at 11:17 AM   #57
pkgirl

how do you unzip the autosolar on a mac? it wont let me on terminal
Old 08-25-2014 at 12:28 PM   #58
shahl

I wish I had stumbled across this method last year or even earlier this year.. But as everyone says, there's always next year!

The thing that REALLY angers me is when people log on to SOLAR and TAKE UP THE ENTIRE 45 MINS just loitering and waiting for their course to miraculously become available OR when people take up seats in unnecessary courses AND THEN SELL/TRADE THEM ON FACEBOOK/SOCIAL MEDIA! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE PREPLAN THEIR COURSES/TIMETABLES AND JUST JUMP ON, DO THEIR THING AND JUMP OFF RIGHT AWAY? Seriously, it only takes me 10, 15 mins at max and I plan out my schedule on Timetable Generator weeks before SOLAR opens!!! It's called being organized people! A very important skill in life!
Old 08-25-2014 at 05:19 PM   #59
ashleighp
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 126 Times

Ah, but next year we say goodbye to Solar and pray that Mosaic is better.
Old 08-26-2014 at 12:17 AM   #60
Omar36

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahl View Post
I wish I had stumbled across this method last year or even earlier this year.. But as everyone says, there's always next year!

The thing that REALLY angers me is when people log on to SOLAR and TAKE UP THE ENTIRE 45 MINS just loitering and waiting for their course to miraculously become available OR when people take up seats in unnecessary courses AND THEN SELL/TRADE THEM ON FACEBOOK/SOCIAL MEDIA! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE PREPLAN THEIR COURSES/TIMETABLES AND JUST JUMP ON, DO THEIR THING AND JUMP OFF RIGHT AWAY? Seriously, it only takes me 10, 15 mins at max and I plan out my schedule on Timetable Generator weeks before SOLAR opens!!! It's called being organized people! A very important skill in life!
uh no, its not that simple. alot of people (myself included) plan days ahead of our scheduled times but it doesn't always work out. some labs/tutorials are full with only crap time slots. some electives already full. unless you get on really early, its hard to actually match your planned timetable.