MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
McMaster Summer Performance Festival Presents: Thyestes RianeL MacInsiders Announcements 0 09-15-2009 07:41 AM
MacWork / McMaster Summer Work Program Application Questions. Kurt_ General Discussion 4 03-02-2009 02:07 PM
McMaster 1FO3 Summer Course Arnold Academics 1 10-04-2008 09:08 AM

How to get a SUMMER JOB @ McMaster.

Old 04-04-2008 at 05:49 PM   #1
joset2

Liked: 0 Times

How to get a SUMMER JOB @ McMaster.
My next post is going to give all those of you who wants to work in mac for summer and maybe continue the job for september as well. I am sure you are aware of our OSCAR. The official day of job posting release is early march but since some deadlines extent to may, I thought I can give some insights to my experiences here. Your first job @ Mac is like a stepping stone to what is out there in the future. You might have to begin as a trainee or a junior but that is how you learn and gain experience. If you are a good employee they would definitely want you back..If you dont like it ...then move on like how I did...Once you do get that first job then I can guarantee that people would want to hire you back based on your experiences. This is how my job jumps from mac has been....

Grade 12 Summer...David Brailey Athletic Center.2006--------->2007 Summer Library staff----------->2007 MSU welcome week promotions coordinator----------------->2007 Research Assistant @ Mcmaster Hospital...

So there you go....MAC has a ton of oppertunities for you...All you need to do is to get out there and apply.

Some Tips

~ If you apply to MSU, you might be seeing couple of people interviewing you...and many people apply so prepare very well.

~ It is always good to read the job description that MSU post..that way you can match it with what you are looking for

~If you dont have work experience then try to emphasize on either volunteer work or short projects you have undertaken.

~ OSCAR has lots of outside campus postings as well.

~ Be confident!!!! that is the key of success!!!

GLUCK TO ALL!!!!!
Old 04-04-2008 at 10:38 PM   #2
joset2

Ohhhh btw the Science Co op Office gives free Resume an Cover letter critique for all the students. When you log onto CO OP page, look for student resources and then click on appointments. Book a time slot and make sure you send a resume to them 48 hrs prior to the meeting. I highly recommend it because they make your resumes really proffessional.
Old 04-05-2008 at 11:33 PM   #3
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

Some great tips.

For those who don't know what OSAR is:
http://careers.mcmaster.ca click OSCAR

Here's the secret: to find all the McMaster only jobs, click JOB SEARCH > "Job Search" then where it says ORGANIZATION NAME, type "McMaster" and hit enter. Presto! McMaster summer jobs! And hundreds of them.

I know a lot of friends who didn't even know what oscar was, so definitely go there if you want a job at Mac.

P.S. You need to apply for McWork, you can do this via MUGSI.
Old 04-06-2008 at 10:19 AM   #4
joset2

For all the newbies who wants to work @ MAc you can try @

----MSU ( compass, union market and other services )

----David Brailey Athlectic center

----Residence staff and offices

----Unveristy administrations and offices ( career servcies, campus tours, museums and libraries)

----Research assistant positions.( within different departments)

Steps how you apply

1) Log into OSCAR with your Mac Id
2) Load your different resumes and coverletters under documents.
3) When you find a job you like click apply and then load resumes and coverletters and apply
4) Check OSCAR for interview or responds from the employers.
5) Send in a thank you letter after interview or if you dont hear from them ask them if the job is still taken or not!!!!
6) Get the Mcwork permission form from MUGSI.

TIPS for interview

1) Know your resume very well and be honest about it.

2) If you have done any related task in the past , stress on them and say how you can benefit from those experiences.

3) If you are nervous and feel butterflies, take a deep breath and say "I can do this" ( atleats ths wht I do )

4) Know your employer,run background check on where you apply and the job history..

5) Dress conservative ( make ups as well) .

6) Firm handshake, clear replies ( no rambling ) and a cheerful face.

Last edited by joset2 : 04-06-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2008 at 07:00 PM   #5
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Can you apply for jobs if you're a prospective student who's going for sure? ;D
Old 04-07-2008 at 07:39 PM   #6
joset2

Yes I applied when I was in grade 12 and started working when first year began. Be sure you accepted McMaster as your chose school of study. You can expect employee training towards the end of summer if you are elected. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-07-2008 at 08:25 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Compass has already hired, for 2008-2009. All of the residences already have their CA's picked (and their alternates on a list). Unfortunately those options are gone.

Union Market is hiring presently, though. Check the MSU jobs website to find out wha the position entails.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-07-2008 at 10:59 PM   #8
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,731 Times

http://www.msu.mcmaster.ca/mirror/jobsvol.php
Old 04-09-2008 at 11:08 PM   #9
marauderlove

Liked: 9 Times

wow, I never knew OSCAR existed. thanks for posting!
Old 04-10-2008 at 08:38 PM   #10
deadpool
X-Man

Liked: 394 Times

anyone KNOW of any non-msu jobs?

bah msu.
Old 04-10-2008 at 08:43 PM   #11
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

anything on OSCAR is supposed to be affiliated with McMaster. Since the two are seperate...there shouldn't be any MSU stuff on there

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-10-2008 at 09:48 PM   #12
joset2

You dont realize the experiece you get by working for MSU. Its a good resume strength. Pay is less but hey ths how we all start..............no n msu is posted on oscar...u gtta check for urself
Old 04-10-2008 at 10:15 PM   #13
deadpool
X-Man

im already a msu ptm. can't hold 2 paid positions thats all haha.
Old 04-10-2008 at 10:19 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

ooooh.

so i'll see you at bark lake deadpool?

Old 04-11-2008 at 12:26 AM   #15
deadpool
X-Man

absolutely. prob before because you do work for fyeo if i'm not mistaken. i need a polo!