MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registration/SOLAR entry schedule '11/'12 jackiemac Academics 8 06-05-2011 10:26 AM
4th year SOLAR entry? neila.b Academics 2 06-02-2011 02:16 PM
Level 2/Level 3 Question smojer Academics 2 05-31-2011 12:38 AM
Level 1 vs. Level 2 courses in SPRING/SUMMER term maki Academics 6 03-21-2011 11:55 AM
level 4 Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 01-22-2010 09:42 AM

Getting an entry level DSLR?

Old 07-11-2011 at 10:52 AM   #1
paperplanes

Liked: 10 Times

Getting an entry level DSLR?
Hey guys!

I'm really considering getting an entry-level DSLR. I've researched a few and so far the Canon Rebel T2i 18MP seems the best for pictures and HD filming. I'm wondering if anyone has any other feedback or suggestions? I'm going to be using it for filming just as much as photography so the video quality is very important.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:09 AM   #2
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

The Olympus Pen E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL3 are all considered an "entry" level DSLR where you still have the option of using auto settings, and then switching over to manual.

They are a Micro 4:3's camera with interchangeable lenses, and are fairly compact and easy to use.

Olympus E-PL1

Price range anywhere from $500 - $800 for the E-PL1 to E-PL3 (which just came out!)
Comes standard with a 14-42mm lens, but you can buy more lenses to play around with.

paperplanes says thanks to Cliu91 for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:42 AM   #3
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

I would also suggest looking into the Nikon D3100. It also records HD video, but it has 2 more AF points than the T2i, and I believe it also continuously autofocuses during video recording, which the T2i doesn't. I'm also just more of a Nikon fan personally, lol. Love my D3000, wish I had the money for more lenses for it.

paperplanes says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 11:47 AM   #4
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Canon AE-1 Program

paperplanes says thanks to Rubicon for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:10 PM   #5
temptingf8
Elite Member

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Canon AE-1 Program
**** YEAH!

I love my Minolta SR-T 200. Paired with a 28mm f/2.8 it's one of the most fun things ever for street/urban photography.

paperplanes says thanks to temptingf8 for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 05:35 PM   #6
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Liked: 452 Times

If you're looking for a basic entry-level, then Nikon D3100 or Canon T3 is the way to go. Next step up is Nikon D5100 and Canon T3i, which have a swing-out screen that makes recording video a lot more convenient. I've heard that there's no way to lock manual exposure on the D5100 though, so T3i has the edge on video recording. As for the T2i, I don't think there are too many differences between it and the T3i, aside from the swivel screen and a few other small things.

(also, someone mentioned autofocusing... it's not exactly perfectly refined on the nikon cameras yet, and I think there are a few canon models that have autofocusing now as well?)

if you go for Nikon, keep in mind the video recording limits. nikon d3100 is limited to 10 minutes while the d5100 allows for 20 minutes (I believe). the d3100 also has no audio jack for external mics.

paperplanes says thanks to anon491 for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:03 PM   #7
temptingf8
Elite Member

Microphone jacks are KEY if you're going to be doing anything serious.

My friends and I use a Sony Alpha A55 for DSLR/HD use. It has the best video autofocus of the D3100 or the Rebels, bar none.

Here is a sample of what we did... WATCH IN HD! Unfortunately even so, YouTube doesn't do a great job at compressing HD video. The camera can do much better. Note the focus shifts - done with AF.

Last edited by temptingf8 : 07-11-2011 at 07:07 PM.

paperplanes says thanks to temptingf8 for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 07:31 PM   #8
Rubicon

Liked: 9 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptingf8 View Post
Microphone jacks are KEY if you're going to be doing anything serious.

My friends and I use a Sony Alpha A55 for DSLR/HD use. It has the best video autofocus of the D3100 or the Rebels, bar none.

Here is a sample of what we did... WATCH IN HD! Unfortunately even so, YouTube doesn't do a great job at compressing HD video. The camera can do much better. Note the focus shifts - done with AF.
Microphone jacks or money ie get an external recorder. Btw what did you run as your kit ^ ?
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:56 PM   #9
Buszaj

Liked: 125 Times

I haven't been in the loop for a couple of years about all the recent models since I got my dSLR a couple of years ago, but one thing still holds true. Get a less expensive body, and invest in quality lenses.

I'd recommend going with Canon or Nikon. Yes, they are a bit more expensive than other options such as Olympus and Pentax, but the selection and quality of lenses is worth it. I believe that nearly all of the entry models shoot 1080 video anyways.

Furthermore, once you make your purchase, be sure to read up on a fair amount of theory and techniques behind photography if you're not familiar with it yet. It'll help you get the best out of your camera.

paperplanes says thanks to Buszaj for this post.
Old 07-11-2011 at 08:57 PM   #10
temptingf8
Elite Member

Sony α55 DSLR
Glidecam HD-2000 steadicam
Wireless microphones (not used in this video)

Lenses used:
Tamrons 17-50/2.8
10-24/3.5-4.5
Sigma 30/1.4
Minolta 85/1.4
Minolta 28-135/4-4.5 (from the 1980's, amazing piece of glass)
Old 07-12-2011 at 09:27 PM   #11
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Out of curiosity, do you guys keep a UV filter on your lenses? Or do you just put on the lens cap when you're not using it.

I'm wondering if a filter would be a good idea to invest in.
Old 07-12-2011 at 09:44 PM   #12
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooburii View Post
Out of curiosity, do you guys keep a UV filter on your lenses? Or do you just put on the lens cap when you're not using it.

No

Using UV filters is like shooting behind a window. It degrades your lenses' sharpness by a significant amount. Not to mention lower quality filters will alter the color balance. Unless you use high-end UV filter (easily cost >$100), I think its a waste of your lens. Not to mention the flare it will cause (regardless the quality of filter), especially at night time.
With careful handling, you shouldn't worry of making any scratch. I have a lens that was manufactured 40 years ago, without a noticeable defect on the lens element.

Add:
Other filters, however, could be helpful. For example, polarizer (CPL) makes sky seem bluer, reduce reflection, etc. Could be really useful if you are into landscape photography.

Last edited by mikefung : 07-12-2011 at 09:48 PM.

anon491, temptingf8 all say thanks to mikefung for this post.
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:05 PM   #13
anon491
Professional Fangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefung View Post
No

Using UV filters is like shooting behind a window. It degrades your lenses' sharpness by a significant amount. Not to mention lower quality filters will alter the color balance. Unless you use high-end UV filter (easily cost >$100), I think its a waste of your lens. Not to mention the flare it will cause (regardless the quality of filter), especially at night time.
With careful handling, you shouldn't worry of making any scratch. I have a lens that was manufactured 40 years ago, without a noticeable defect on the lens element.

Add:
Other filters, however, could be helpful. For example, polarizer (CPL) makes sky seem bluer, reduce reflection, etc. Could be really useful if you are into landscape photography.
thanks!
the lady at Black's was practically yelling at me to buy their $15 filter, like I was dooming my lens to death by not buying it. good to know it's not necessary.
Old 07-12-2011 at 10:09 PM   #14
mikefung

Liked: 11 Times

Quote:
thanks!
the lady at Black's was practically yelling at me to buy their $15 filter, like I was dooming my lens to death by not buying it. good to know it's not necessary.
Well, that just me not worrying breaking my lenses...Some are very cautious and buy those high end B+W filters for every lenses they own. And btw, if you have a lens hood, use it that would help in protecting the lens.
Old 07-13-2011 at 12:18 AM   #15
temptingf8
Elite Member

Quote:

**** NO. Agreed with Mike Fung above. They are an upselling ploy and a marketing gimmick. Use a clear "UV" type filter only if you MIGHT be concerned about any slight water/mist spray getting on the lens at that specific moment, OR if you are shooting at very high elevation where UV might actually become an issue. Don't bother with it for impact resistance. Lens coatings and glass are more resistant than you think.

Other useful filters though, include the above mentioned circular polarizer (CPL). I ALWAYS keep one in my camera bag just in case I need it.