MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Where to buy healthy food on campus? Strategy General Discussion 35 09-28-2010 04:43 PM
Food on Campus in the Summer faytless General Discussion 18 04-27-2010 11:51 PM
Food Services on Campus: Danielle's Favs lorend Food & Meal Plans 5 03-07-2009 11:23 AM

Getting Food on Campus; the obstacles

Old 04-11-2009 at 05:07 PM   #16
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

Jesus, not all students are financially capable of purchasing food items off campus whenever they feel hungry after midnight. It would be beneficial to have a food service running under Hospitality after midnight. This way students can use their meal cards rather than spend money that they may need for other purposes. It would be great to see students address their concerns here so I can use that to further support the points I have made to them. I am also going to speak to the Student Dining Committee. I know they take up students' concerns regarding food to Hospitality Services so I am interested in finding out their opinion on the matter. Perhaps I can also set up some sort of survey regarding this issue and present the results to Hospitality Services.

Last edited by nino : 04-11-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:08 PM   #17
Alvand

Liked: 39 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Here's a new idea:

- Walk off 5-10 minutes off-campus and get food. There's a great selection of food in Westdale (yes, it's only a 10 minute walk from the student centre), there's pre-prepped food at Fortinos.

PROBLEM SOLVED. No wonder why there's the stereotype that people who live in res are lazy.
You're missing the point, though. Sure, we can walk 5-10 minutes off-campus and get food, but we shouldn't have to. Food should be accessable in an easy fashion on campus. There should be at least one place on campus that serves hot meals late into the night or 24/7, at least during exam time.

Also, most of the places off-campus close around the same time as the Hospitality Services places close, so it wouldn't make much sense to walk around Westdale to find something to eat.

One more point, residence students have meal cards with money on them to purchase food on campus. They shouldn't be forced to spend personal money on food in such circumstances.

Cootes Paradise Club Leader
MacTV Executive Producer

Last edited by Alvand : 04-11-2009 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:21 PM   #18
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

If only Gino's and other establishments accepted the student card....
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:21 PM   #19
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvand View Post
You're missing the point, though. Sure, we can walk 5-10 minutes off-campus and get food, but we shouldn't have to. Food should be accessable in an easy fashion on campus. There should be at least one place on campus that serves hot meals late into the night or 24/7, at least during exam time.

Also, most of the places off-campus close around the same time as the Hospitality Services places close, so it wouldn't make much sense to walk around Westdale to find something to eat.

One more point, residence students have meal cards with money on them to purchase food on campus. They shouldn't be forced to spend personal money on food in such circumstances.
Once again, a bunch of excuses. Sometimes it's not financially feasible for a university to have hot food service 24/7. I would rather have the university put $ into upgrading lab equipment and fixing up classrooms than losing money because students on residence can't be assed to walk a few minutes off campus for food.

ORDER PIZZA. It's covered on your meal plan and you can sit comfortably at res like you would normally do.

And most off-campus places don't close at the same time as campus - especially on weekends. Bean bar is usually open until 10, sometimes later. Subway is usually open late. Metro is open 24/7. Tally ho is open until 3 ish.

Quote:
not all students are financially capable of purchasing food items off campus whenever they feel hungry after midnight.
Too bad most off-campus food is cheaper than campus food. Moot point.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:25 PM   #20
batman

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Once again, a bunch of excuses. Sometimes it's not financially feasible for a university to have hot food service 24/7. I would rather have the university put $ into upgrading lab equipment and fixing up classrooms than losing money because students on residence can't be assed to walk a few minutes off campus for food.

ORDER PIZZA. It's covered on your meal plan and you can sit comfortably at res like you would normally do.

And most off-campus places don't close at the same time as campus - especially on weekends. Bean bar is usually open until 10, sometimes later. Subway is usually open late. Metro is open 24/7. Tally ho is open until 3 ish.

If I'm trying to eat healthily, eating pizza isn't going to cut it. YES, I can walk to Subway, etc, but I want something healthy, and yes, commons isn't too great, but I can usually find a way to do something healthy there. A slice of pizza, from anywhere is mind numbingly unhealthy, and thats not something I'm willing to do.

Yes, money should go to lab stuff, classrooms etc, BUT, if your students are unsatisfied on campus, that's not a good thing either.

University is a business, but the whole residence system also is a service industry, or should be in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:30 PM   #21
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Quote:
You're obviously missing the point. We already have meal cards to purchase food so why use money set aside to buy food? Yes, off campus locations are cheaper but most don't accept your student meal card.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:40 PM   #22
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV View Post
If only Gino's and other establishments accepted the student card....
I'm not sure if you're trying to be ironic here or not...but here is a list of places you can eat off-campus using Flex Dollars, including Gino's.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 04-11-2009 at 05:41 PM   #23
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
If I'm trying to eat healthily, eating pizza isn't going to cut it. YES, I can walk to Subway, etc, but I want something healthy, and yes, commons isn't too great, but I can usually find a way to do something healthy there. A slice of pizza, from anywhere is mind numbingly unhealthy, and thats not something I'm willing to do.
LOL. If there's a 24/7 service, it would be commons. For the most part, Subway is healthier than commons.

http://www.westdalevillage.c a/merc...#Restar aunts

Other lovely healthy alternatives, open late:
- Basilique until at least 12 AM at night, student discounts (ACCEPTS STUDENT CARD)
- Pita Pit (super healthy) open until 2 AM (ACCEPTS STUDENT CARD)
- Tim Hortons - open 24/7.
- Jimmy Gringos Burrito Shop - Healthy depending on sauces/what you order, open until 11 PM S-M, until 2 on Friday/Sat
- Bean bar - great tasting, healthy (depending on what you order): Open until midnight, Until 1 AM Friday/Saturday.

Edit:

Quote:
You're obviously missing the point. We already have meal cards to purchase food so why use money set aside to buy food? Yes, off campus locations are cheaper but most don't accept your student meal card.
See above.

Last edited by Lij : 04-11-2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 05:53 PM   #24
batman

Quote:
LOL. If there's a 24/7 service, it would be commons. For the most part, Subway is healthier than commons.

http://www.westdalevillage.c a/merc...#Restar aunts

Other lovely healthy alternatives, open late:
- Basilique until at least 12 AM at night, student discounts (ACCEPTS STUDENT CARD)
- Pita Pit (super healthy) open until 2 AM (ACCEPTS STUDENT CARD)
- Tim Hortons - open 24/7.
- Jimmy Gringos Burrito Shop - Healthy depending on sauces/what you order, open until 11 PM S-M, until 2 on Friday/Sat
- Bean bar - great tasting, healthy (depending on what you order): Open until midnight, Until 1 AM Friday/Saturday.

Edit:

See above.
Subway is rarely healthy, because of CHEESE, BREAD, SAUCE.
Tim Hortons. Really.
Thanks.
Thanks for that. When I want a late night doughnut.

Anyways, I realize I can go to the Pita Pit, and Bean Bar, is not that healthy, from experience I know this.

Restaurant food LOOKS/SEEMS healthy, but rarely is.

And, why go to bean bar, why take that walk from Brandon Hall, the point is, IDEALLY, there should be some kind of 24/7 service on campus. While the Westdale Village, etc does EXIST, we shouldn't be forced off campus.
Old 04-11-2009 at 06:01 PM   #25
Iman

Liked: 5 Times

Some of you are forgetting that not everyone have freedom/flex dollars to eat off campus. The basic portion is where most of the money is, so it should make sense to want to use THAT, especially since it also doesn't carry over.
Old 04-11-2009 at 06:09 PM   #26
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Subway is rarely healthy, because of CHEESE, BREAD, SAUCE.
Tim Hortons. Really.
Thanks.
Thanks for that. When I want a late night doughnut.

Anyways, I realize I can go to the Pita Pit, and Bean Bar, is not that healthy, from experience I know this.

Restaurant food LOOKS/SEEMS healthy, but rarely is.

And, why go to bean bar, why take that walk from Brandon Hall, the point is, IDEALLY, there should be some kind of 24/7 service on campus. While the Westdale Village, etc does EXIST, we shouldn't be forced off campus.
You don't HAVE to get the cheese or the sauce. It's sort of like when you're at the pita store and I see a bunch of kids asking for extra mayo, ranch, other fatty sauces which is quite vomit inducing. If you don't want it, don't ask for it.

Tim Hortons has a variety of soups and sandwiches.

What exactly do you get at Commons that is healthier than a sandwich (without cheese and sauce)? The last time I set foot in Commons the only things they had were fatty fried food, crappy microwave pasta, a salad bar, etc. If you want a salad, there's always the metro.
Old 04-11-2009 at 06:18 PM   #27
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Yes, I am aware that there are off campus locations which accept flex dollars and close late. However, it's much more convenient to have a food service located on campus which either closes late or is open 24/7 and accepts basic dollars. Personally, I use my flex dollars during frequent outings to Boston Pizza or Eastside Marios with friends. If it's not spent on outings, my flex dollars are spent on ordering pizza for friends that do not attend McMaster. Furthermore, as Iman mentioned, it would make more sense to use your basic dollars which do not carry over to the following school year. Through my email, I seek more information regarding the issue so students can be informed why such a service has not been implemented on campus.

Last edited by nino : 04-11-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 06:47 PM   #28
Lois
Elite Member

Quote:
Some of you are forgetting that not everyone have freedom/flex dollars to eat off campus. The basic portion is where most of the money is, so it should make sense to want to use THAT, especially since it also doesn't carry over.
This is the only semi-reasonable argument that I've heard.

Still, use / waste your basic plan during the day and get a cheap meal off-campus when there is no food available. Or, purchase food in advance when you know things will be closed and microwave them in res when you're ready.

If money is really an issue with respect to off-campus food: go to Fortinos, pick up a loaf of bread + peanut butter + fruits. It's less than $10 and it will last you a week. It's not glamorous, but it's balanced and cheap. (Edit: Or go to Mac Bread-Bin, if you can't afford to eat).

Don't forget that there are a larger number of off-campus students who would be wasting their some of their tuition so that a small fraction of on-campus students (who consistently eat late) can have a 24/7 service on campus even though there are other alternatives available to them.
Old 04-11-2009 at 07:46 PM   #29
batman

Quote:
You don't HAVE to get the cheese or the sauce. It's sort of like when you're at the pita store and I see a bunch of kids asking for extra mayo, ranch, other fatty sauces which is quite vomit inducing. If you don't want it, don't ask for it.

Tim Hortons has a variety of soups and sandwiches.

What exactly do you get at Commons that is healthier than a sandwich (without cheese and sauce)? The last time I set foot in Commons the only things they had were fatty fried food, crappy microwave pasta, a salad bar, etc. If you want a salad, there's always the metro.
I know whats healthy and not, I don't ask for sauce on my subs, etc. Most people don't. As for Tim Hortons, I'm sorry, but I'm not going to walk down to the nearest Tim Hortons that actually serves the soups and sandwiches for a sub-par, poor tasting chicken salad sandwhich.

Ok, let me break this down.

Like many students, I'm stretched for time. I have my classes, volunteer jobs, homework, studying for exams, etc. I go to the gym daily because I value my health. So, when it comes to eat, I don't have time to take the bus/take a walk down to Westdale or anywhere else, and so if I could get food at Commons, hot food, at any time I want, it would be ideal.

At commons, I can do the salad bar, to my preference, ie cottage cheese, throw in some pineapple, make sure I don't get stuck eating dressing. I can get the skimpy grilled chicken from Sizzles, but I mean, after 730, I can't get a steak, cause YHC closes. I can't get the good pasta with the vegetables after 730 PM. Now tell me, Say I'm in class from 8-530 (yes, obviously I'm not everyday), and then I go to the gym and shower and then its 8:00, now all I'm stuck with eating is the microwave pasta as you said, or Sizzles. Not ideal.

As it is, I can barely stand the food on campus, because at home, my family always retained our culture and cooked Indian food 7 nights a week. The fact that the Indian food on campus is so piss-poor is just another gripe. That's one thing I always wish Commons could fix, make it a little easier for people who are not fans of 'Rosti potatoes' or 'Roast beef', etc because they've honestly never really eaten them in their lives, to find some food.

Quote:
This is the only semi-reasonable argument that I've heard.

Still, use / waste your basic plan during the day and get a cheap meal off-campus when there is no food available. Or, purchase food in advance when you know things will be closed and microwave them in res when you're ready.

If money is really an issue with respect to off-campus food: go to Fortinos, pick up a loaf of bread + peanut butter + fruits. It's less than $10 and it will last you a week. It's not glamorous, but it's balanced and cheap. (Edit: Or go to Mac Bread-Bin, if you can't afford to eat).

Don't forget that there are a larger number of off-campus students who would be wasting their some of their tuition so that a small fraction of on-campus students (who consistently eat late) can have a 24/7 service on campus even though there are other alternatives available to them.
Again, you are ignoring the point many are making. Most people don't want to go get that cheap meal off-campus. Another thing is personality wise, some people are keen to explore go around town and find cheap meals, etc, but not everyone is, just because of their own personal preferneces. Your second point about purchasing in advance, etc is much better.

Last edited by batman : 04-11-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2009 at 07:53 PM   #30
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

I'm sure if there were more than a few students with these issues, hospitality would listen.

As is, it seems like it comes down to the gripes of a few people who can't handle being away from home and home cooked meals.

Lois says thanks to DannyV for this post.