MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Level II Question VastHorizon Academics 2 04-29-2010 10:10 AM
Anyone going to Engineering Level 2 ????? endearing66 Academics 15 07-06-2009 05:59 AM
SOLAR Level 1 Engineering tungo89 Academics 8 07-02-2008 09:52 PM

Getting into level 2 engineering Programme

Old 02-25-2009 at 01:58 PM   #16
JKSLYR

Liked: 19 Times

Hey guys (n' Jackie),

I'm in Mechatronics, so I can answer any questions you may have. The entrance average in my year was quite low, seeing as we were only the second batch of students to ever apply. I had a 6 going in to second year and Tron was my first choice.

HOWEVER, this year, entrance average has shot up, and rough estimates are looking at Tron being the most popular program in terms of demand/availability. Basically, way more people are applying, but the program still retains the same number of spaces.

This means that, strictly speaking, you're looking at a minimum of at least an 8 to get in, if not more. Of course, things always change, but by looking at previous years, this year Tron might be the hardest program to get into.

Like micadjems said, the entrance averages depend on how many apply. On top of that, you can always transfer - I know people who have gone into Software and transferred into Tron after 2nd year, and they have most of the necessary courses required.

As always, good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions. =)

Oilers says thanks to JKSLYR for this post.
Old 02-25-2009 at 04:07 PM   #17
maclover

Liked: 55 Times

what are the career prospectives for mechatronics?
Old 02-25-2009 at 05:03 PM   #18
JKSLYR

There are a lot of options open. Consider the fact that many systems previously thought to be mechanical or software are now usually a mix of both - for example, the auto industry is more Mechatronics-based, especially considering things like cruise control, power steering, feedback systems in seatbelts, airbags, etc. Also note that many computer systems rely on Mechatronics, such as in hard drives or USB devices.

That's not to mention the entire robotics industry. If you want, you can even work in engineering physics. A Mechatronics degree will give you enough knowledge to apply yourself to any job involving mechanical, software, or electrical systems.

Some samples fields include Robotics, Manufacturing, Aerospace, Automotive, Video Game Design, Telecommunications, and more.
Old 02-26-2009 at 09:32 AM   #19
maclover

but isnt mechatronics generalized... you guys don't specialize in any of the 3 key areas- software, mech and elec... but anyway, how are co-op opportunity placement and employment rate?
not trying to degrade your stream, just trying to find the real truth about mechatronics because I have heard a lot of people don't find jobs because they are jack of all, master of none.
Old 02-26-2009 at 09:35 AM   #20
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

I'm going to say nooo..... there are so many companies that work with robotics and need someone that can oversee ALL those operations, TOGETHER. Yes, specialization is important sometimes, but I argue that it's better to be well rounded, especially in such topics that overlap so often in today's work force.
Old 02-26-2009 at 07:09 PM   #21
JKSLYR

Yes, we are generalized, and yes, we have been called the Jack of all trades, master of none, but only by jealous, sad people.

Seriously though, Tron lets you specialize in whatever you'd like. A lot of industry does focus on people who are well-rounded. You won't be as good as, say, a strictly software engineer in terms of software, but you'll have a lot of knowledge that can be applicable to the job. It all depends on what you want to do - if you want to work in software, aim for a software degree, but if you're more inclined towards a general purpose engineering degree, go for Tron.

It's sort of like bleach versus soap. Bleach is great for cleaning, but only on, say, white surfaces. Soap isn't as great of a cleaner, but can be used all over the place. It's a pretty bad example, but it demonstrates how Tron is really versatile, even though we might not be as good as a those who specialize.

As for co-op, I personally don't recommend it, but don't take my word for it. Lots of people have found great jobs through ECCS.

AnguishedEnd says thanks to JKSLYR for this post.
Old 02-28-2009 at 12:12 PM   #22
RoyK
Zetsubou Sensei

Liked: 71 Times

Does anyone know where the GPA for Mechanical & Management roughly stands?
Old 02-28-2009 at 04:56 PM   #23
maclover

around 8-9 for mech and management. make sure you have a 10 for a firm place tho.
Old 02-28-2009 at 08:43 PM   #24
zoyy

Liked: 9 Times

I think it was around 7-8 for mech. Mgmt has a separate cut-off, if I'm correct. Probably a little higher. I know someone who didnt cut it for mgmt but did for mech. Yes, a 10 would secure your spot in any program really, but not a lot of people can get that. Just try your best!
Old 02-28-2009 at 08:48 PM   #25
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

does anyone know how many people biomed and elec takes each year?
Old 03-01-2009 at 10:51 AM   #26
maclover

very few around 40.. cuz a lot of engineers hate biology(thats why they are in engineering in the first place ) so they don't even apply thinking its hard and boring and what not...

don't worry you'll get in tho as long as your avg is above 8.

nila* says thanks to maclover for this post.
Old 03-01-2009 at 06:50 PM   #27
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSLYR View Post
Hey guys (n' Jackie),

I'm in Mechatronics, so I can answer any questions you may have. The entrance average in my year was quite low, seeing as we were only the second batch of students to ever apply. I had a 6 going in to second year and Tron was my first choice.

HOWEVER, this year, entrance average has shot up, and rough estimates are looking at Tron being the most popular program in terms of demand/availability. Basically, way more people are applying, but the program still retains the same number of spaces.

This means that, strictly speaking, you're looking at a minimum of at least an 8 to get in, if not more. Of course, things always change, but by looking at previous years, this year Tron might be the hardest program to get into.

Like micadjems said, the entrance averages depend on how many apply. On top of that, you can always transfer - I know people who have gone into Software and transferred into Tron after 2nd year, and they have most of the necessary courses required.

As always, good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions. =)
I just wanted to confirm. Mechatronics only has 50 available seats in second year right? I was thinking of putting Mechatronics as my first choice because as you said its more generalized, but now I'm not too sure about it seeing how there are so few seats available.

Last edited by AnguishedEnd : 03-01-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-02-2009 at 08:10 AM   #28
maclover

Anguished End!

Yes, there is a lot of hype surrounding mechatronics at the moment so you will need a comfortable avg of atleast an 8 to get in.
Last year, one of my friends got in with a 6.7!!

Cheers

AnguishedEnd says thanks to maclover for this post.
Old 03-10-2009 at 10:47 PM   #29
dilks

Liked: 4 Times

I am considering mechatronics but I was wondering how difficult it is (considering you need to take eng phys among other things). Even though to get in I would have to know a few things even to be aloud entrance I'm still unsure. I don't think I will have a problem getting a high enough CA.
Old 03-12-2009 at 08:42 PM   #30
JKSLYR

My best advice is, don't be turned off by the high requirements. You never know until you try.

Don't worry about it. Just because there are fewer seats than other departments, doesn't mean you should just give up on applying.