MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Sciences dondada First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 07-29-2009 08:14 PM
Will I get into Life Sciences? sanahsameen Academics 31 02-24-2009 09:42 AM

Getting Into Life Sciences!!!

Old 08-10-2010 at 01:14 PM   #16
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Liked: 96 Times

ok but not everyone is amazing in math and physics either. Like i can do it, i really can do derivative and integrals but when I see the tests and exams, I just find then crazy hard. This is why I'm really upset that physics is a MUST for most level 2 programs. Im crazy good at bio. I think i was just limited to like 3 programs in level two cuz i dont wanna do physics n e more :(
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:15 PM   #17
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Physics is easily the hardest science class in high-school.. But it is not impossible to do well in. Having bio done already helps you a bit, that's 1 less class you have to worry over. I managed a 92 in Gr.12 physics but I did have to put a lot of effort in! I did every practice question, even if it meant spending a lunch hour in the physics room. I worked with others on group assignments (question packets) and tried to get myself to the point where I could teach the solutions to others. Thanks to that effort I got 11's in both physics 1B03 and 1BA3 =D

1BA3 is unnecessary, I just got to the point where I liked physics so I took it as an elective <_< But like neural said, 1L03 is often not considered a proper pre-req so you may as well take physics in high-school and skip it to get to 1B03. I have several friends who took 1L03 and now they're having to take 1B03 in second year to make up for it. A waste of money!
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:17 PM   #18
meikaelahmad

Liked: 0 Times

Mac Admissions-2011
Im about to go to Grade 12 Highschool and I just had some questions...

1. Is it true that Semester 1 Midterm is what universities look at the most out of everything? Is it true that semester 2 is not taken into consideration as much as the first semester of senior year, or am I completely off ?

2. has the life sciences admission range changed ? higher or lower?

3. Can you get into Mac if your RIGHT on the mark around the cut-off ?

Thanks for the HELP
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:18 PM   #19
meikaelahmad

Mac Admissions-2011

1. Is it true that Semester 1 Midterm is what universities look at the most out of everything? Is it true that semester 2 is not taken into consideration as much as the first semester of senior year, or am I completely off ?

Thanks for the HELP
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:21 PM   #20
Crzyrio
Elite Member

Liked: 106 Times

1)I think the marks looked at most is the 1st semester final marks. If you have good grade 11 marks and good 1st semester midterm marks your more than likely to get early acceptance.

However once you get accepted your asked to keep a certain average through the 2nd semester to keep your acceptance

2)not sure about the science question....

3)Yea they will let you in but keep in mind that just because you are above the cut of dosent mean you will get admission.
If a program has space for 100 students and the cut of mark is 75%. If you were to get an 85% but there were 100 students who for above 85% they would be given acceptance and not you, so just try your best (=

Last edited by Crzyrio : 08-10-2010 at 01:24 PM.

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:22 PM   #21
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

umm

1) no i wuldnt say that at all. ur first term marks are soo important and your 2nd term midterm marks are taken into consideration. Then if they give you an offer, i THINK lower the avg by like 5% and you have to meet that avg

2) omg dont even listen to MAC, the say the avg is 83-86% but usually everyone goes into htis program so admission avg is like 86%-88% (thats wut happened to me when i applied they changed it to that)

3) SO yes you can get into mac as long as you have reached the admission avg cutoff, but again they usually raise it
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:25 PM   #22
meikaelahmad

ahh I screwed up my grade 11 marks and ended with an 83 average...
Im planning on getting an 85-87% this upcoming year (grade 12)
and thanks for the help....I really hope they take people who have a range like mine!
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:25 PM   #23
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by meikaelahmad View Post

Thanks for the HELP
1. Semester 1 Midterm marks (and gr11 marks I think???? maybe...) are used for early acceptance. Semester 1 final marks and Semester 2 midterm marks are taken into account for general offers of admission (which are made by the end of May), but it is your final grades that determine whether or not your offer of admission is revoked. For example, when you get an offer (anytime from December to end of May), it will specify that you must graduate high school, get a certain average (usually 80, even if the cutoff is higher, although it varies by program and school) and obtain credits in all of the required courses by June 30, otherwise your offer will be revoked.

2. Not sure yet...the Mac website still only has last year's anticipated cut-off.

3. Yes, but it depends how many other people apply and what their grades are. If a ton of people with over 90 averages apply, then that will pull the cut-off up and you likely won't get in if you're right on the boundary. Conversely, if not very many people apply with higher averages, or there are more applicants right on the cutoff or slightly below, you have a much better chance of getting in if you're at the cutoff or slightly above.

Last edited by nerual : 08-10-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:27 PM   #24
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meikaelahmad View Post
ahh I screwed up my grade 11 marks and ended with an 83 average...
Im planning on getting an 85-87% this upcoming year (grade 12)
and thanks for the help....I really hope they take people who have a range like mine!
ummm MAC doesnt look at gr 11 marks btw

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:29 PM   #25
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHEDDENITE View Post
k good.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:30 PM   #26
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Some people said that the Life Sciences course is not worth the worry and it's really easy to get in...
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:43 PM   #27
MCHEDDENITE
Elite Member

WHAT!? who told you that..! yes life sci is easier than health sci and isci but its still very hard to get into, as are all the sci programs at mac

Last edited by MCHEDDENITE : 08-10-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:44 PM   #28
optimism

Liked: 14 Times

The cut-off for life sci this year was 87% one of the professors at the open house had mentioned that. Try to aim at 88% in order to secure a spot. However, the percentage may change by next year depending on how many apply and what their averages are.

All the best to you, I think you're going to make it
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:49 PM   #29
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Thats true. Just your first semester gr.12 finals. They start to look at applications around December-January. So just do really well in your first half of high school, and your in. If you do mess up for some reason, you have a second chance to kill it for 2nd Semester midterms.

Also, to get a early acceptance, Mac requires atleast 3 courses.

One of my friend took 2 courses in his first semester and ended up with 89% (1st sem average). He thought he was gonna get into mac easily, so he started to slack off in his 2nd semester (skipping classes and EVEN tests!). Then he found abt the 3 courses thing and got screwed over. The cut-off was 81-83% (Engineering) and he got 81.3% (average of top 6 courses). He didnt get in cuz of that one foolish mistake. So try not slack off. We all did but know your limit.

Have fun in yur last year. Its probably gonna be your best year (in highschool). Good luck.

meikaelahmad likes this.
Old 08-10-2010 at 01:50 PM   #30
meikaelahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimism View Post
The cut-off for life sci this year was 87% one of the professors at the open house had mentioned that. Try to aim at 88% in order to secure a spot. However, the percentage may change by next year depending on how many apply and what their averages are.

All the best to you, I think you're going to make it
I'll try an 88% seems kind of hard, I just hope they bring it back to the 83-86%...or hopefully an 84-88%.... PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek :