MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
minor in GIS Jesse.C Academics 6 02-12-2013 11:51 PM
Minor to BA DonJuan Academics 1 03-08-2012 01:54 PM
What is a minor? RadiantL Academics 5 01-07-2012 11:27 AM
What is a minor really? MacAttk First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-11-2010 05:44 AM
Minor in Kin? notredame Academics 3 01-18-2009 05:18 PM

Getting a minor while in Kinesiology.

Old 04-20-2013 at 01:22 PM   #1
J.Clouseau

Liked: 1 Time

Getting a minor while in Kinesiology.
Hello!

I have dreams of going into healthcare, but I know the importance of a "backup plan." Although it may not seem like an ideal backup plan, I want to become a high school teacher in the case that a healthcare career does not go as I plan. With an undergrad in kinesiology, I would be qualified to be a Phys. Ed teacher.. but I need 4 credits for a second teachable. Say I wanted my second teachable (minor, I think) to be mathematics, would I have to take 4 full year credits of mathematics? Or just 4 mathematics course in general? Does a 3 unit course at McMaster count as 1 credit? Thank you very much for all of your help!
Old 04-20-2013 at 01:26 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Clouseau View Post
Hello!

I have dreams of going into healthcare, but I know the importance of a "backup plan." Although it may not seem like an ideal backup plan, I want to become a high school teacher in the case that a healthcare career does not go as I plan. With an undergrad in kinesiology, I would be qualified to be a Phys. Ed teacher.. but I need 4 credits for a second teachable. Say I wanted my second teachable (minor, I think) to be mathematics, would I have to take 4 full year credits of mathematics? Or just 4 mathematics course in general? Does a 3 unit course at McMaster count as 1 credit? Thank you very much for all of your help!
Depends how the school does their credit system, but most schools count 1 credit as a full-year course, so that would be 6 units at Mac.
Old 04-26-2013 at 10:38 AM   #3
J.Clouseau

Can non-kinesiology students take physiology courses? Say I wanted to go to med school but have a backup plan of being a secondary school math/physics teacher, would it be possible to do my undergrad in honours math and physics while taking the correct electives to prepare oneself for the mcat and med school?
Old 04-26-2013 at 11:30 AM   #4
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Can non-kinesiology students take physiology courses? Say I wanted to go to med school but have a backup plan of being a secondary school math/physics teacher, would it be possible to do my undergrad in honours math and physics while taking the correct electives to prepare oneself for the mcat and med school?
Depends on the course - look at the prereqs in the course calendar for the courses you're interested in.
Not all physiology courses are offered through the kin department, anyways.
And plenty of people not in kinesiology get into med school and are just fine, so I'm going to go ahead and say that yes, you can do undergrad math/physics and take electives needed for med school
Old 04-27-2013 at 02:59 PM   #5
J.Clouseau

Okie thank you! Also, is 3 units of 1st year bio, 3 units of 1st year chem, and 3 units of orgo enough to prepare you for the mcat if I was thinking about medical school? Or do I have to take a full year's worth of 1st year chem and orgo?
Old 04-27-2013 at 07:08 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Okie thank you! Also, is 3 units of 1st year bio, 3 units of 1st year chem, and 3 units of orgo enough to prepare you for the mcat if I was thinking about medical school? Or do I have to take a full year's worth of 1st year chem and orgo?
You can't even take orgo if you don't take the second chem.
Old 04-27-2013 at 07:09 PM   #7
starfish
Elite Member

Also I'm pretty sure the MCAT covers orgo from first and second term. And bio first and second term. And physics first and second term. And chem first and second term. You can check that for yourself though by googling a list of MCAT topics.
Old 04-27-2013 at 11:06 PM   #8
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
would it be possible to do my undergrad in honours math and physics while taking the correct electives to prepare oneself for the mcat and med school?
Dont do that. Bad idea.

zwitter likes this.
Old 04-27-2013 at 11:45 PM   #9
starfish
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
Dont do that. Bad idea.
That entirely depends on the person, and without really knowing anything about them, statements like that are meaningless. People can and do go to med school from a ton of different non-health related undergrad programs.
Old 04-28-2013 at 07:46 AM   #10
davidq90

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
That entirely depends on the person, and without really knowing anything about them, statements like that are meaningless. People can and do go to med school from a ton of different non-health related undergrad programs.
Yeah I agree. See how you suit with your strengths and use it to your advantage.
Old 04-28-2013 at 10:14 AM   #11
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
We live in a world of possibilities. And we live in a world of probabilities.
Old 04-30-2013 at 08:58 PM   #12
J.Clouseau

Alright thanks guys! What kind of careers could come from a degree in math and physics anyway? I've been doing research but I'm not entirely sure.