MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Girl is little mad at the moment. gongshow Dating & Relationships 35 10-11-2010 02:55 PM
Need girl for 4on4 Corec Basketball. Sintos Athletics & Recreation 0 10-07-2010 11:26 AM
Losing a respect from a girl I like. gongshow Dating & Relationships 45 08-02-2010 02:32 PM
Boy and Girl Rommate Strongwiller Residence & Housing 15 11-01-2008 02:07 PM

Girl Who Doesn't Age

Old 08-31-2009 at 07:40 PM   #16
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

This some messed up stuff...
Old 08-31-2009 at 07:41 PM   #17
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

its a really, really rare condition. You still are aging but your body doesn't show signs of aging becuase the mechanisms for aging in the body arn't there. Its just a medical mystery.... nobody know's why it happens and it happens so rarely that they don't really have a chance to be able to study it.
Old 08-31-2009 at 08:14 PM   #18
EasternHeat
Elite Member

Liked: 60 Times

and also different body parts are aging different, like they said she is 16 and her mental capacity is that of a 9 month to 1 year old and her bones are that of a 10 year old.

Old 08-31-2009 at 08:16 PM   #19
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternHeat View Post
and also different body parts are aging different, like they said she is 16 and her mental capacity is that of a 9 month to 1 year old and her bones are that of a 10 year old.
Whoa, weird....
Old 08-31-2009 at 08:17 PM   #20
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

obviously the kid has hormone problems. the reason the growth hormones didn't work is proof of that.
Old 08-31-2009 at 08:18 PM   #21
LBJ.MVP

Liked: 16 Times

you know i thought this was something from House when i read it. but that is weird.
Old 08-31-2009 at 08:45 PM   #22
caroline54

Liked: 10 Times

They mentioned they tried giving her growth hormones and it didnt work.
I wish I knew this was on TLC before I would have liked to have seen the documentary.
Old 08-31-2009 at 08:56 PM   #23
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 414 Times

interesting. I have a distant cousin like this, he's around 15 or 16 now but his size is about 3 or 4 years...his brain is still 15 though
Old 08-31-2009 at 09:37 PM   #24
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I'm gonna have to take a look at that documentary. It sounds cool (medically), but sad.

What would a parent do with a kid like that when they die?
The child Brooke has 3 sisters, 2 older, 1 younger. I imagine they would take over her care when the parents pass on.

Also they don't really know her life expectancy but she has a lot of medical problems (obviously) so she may or may not even out live her parents.

She gets in home care paid for by the government though so its not quite as large a burden on her family as it would be without that.

The family seems extremely caring, loving and understanding of the situation. When her parents pass on if she is still living she has people to care for her.
Old 09-01-2009 at 01:28 AM   #25
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
What would a parent do with a kid like that when they die?
Same thing you would do with an adult with that mental capacity I'd imagine: Either entrust them to family members, or put them in a facility for dealing with mental disorders, etc. (namely because of their 9 month old mental capacity). They have such facilities for autism, etc. and one of those would probably do fine. In some ways, an infant body would be more maintenance (possibly changing diapers, etc.) but in others, it's much easier (they pose less risk to themselves than an adult with that mental capacity).

It's always sad to cope with things like this...but I've experienced autism first hand and "love conquers all" really does apply...it's not a matter of inconvenience at all, infact that's the last thing that crosses my mind...

And think about it...A child like that will have child-like innocence forever...I envy that. I really wish I could cut down to the bare essentials sometimes, and not worry about fitting in, academics or other relatively unimportant matters.

Afzal likes this.
Old 09-01-2009 at 10:40 AM   #26
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post
Same thing you would do with an adult with that mental capacity I'd imagine: Either entrust them to family members, or put them in a facility for dealing with mental disorders, etc. (namely because of their 9 month old mental capacity). They have such facilities for autism, etc. and one of those would probably do fine. In some ways, an infant body would be more maintenance (possibly changing diapers, etc.) but in others, it's much easier (they pose less risk to themselves than an adult with that mental capacity).

It's always sad to cope with things like this...but I've experienced autism first hand and "love conquers all" really does apply...it's not a matter of inconvenience at all, infact that's the last thing that crosses my mind...

And think about it...A child like that will have child-like innocence forever...I envy that. I really wish I could cut down to the bare essentials sometimes, and not worry about fitting in, academics or other relatively unimportant matters.
In the documentary on TLC, the parents say that the thought of putting her in a facility never crossed their mind, and they are happy that they didn't. They think that Brooke wouldn't be such a loving human if they had put her away.

So I don't think Brooke will be put in a facility when the parents die.

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Old 09-01-2009 at 11:05 AM   #27
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowicz View Post

What I mean though, is that for someone with say....down syndrome, theres people that are trained to deal with/care for them. Same with any "common" condition. But there is no training for this. How do you ask someone to take care of your young adult trapped in an infant body? I know if someone asked me to do that, my response would be some thing like "uh.....".
Old 09-01-2009 at 11:18 AM   #28
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

This would make a great House episode... but now that House is in a mental hospital... don't think there is much he can do.
Old 09-01-2009 at 11:23 AM   #29
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
This would make a great House episode... but now that House is in a mental hospital... don't think there is much he can do.
House has to come back, it'll be stupid if the entire season is his team solving cases and he's stuck in the mental hospital.
Old 09-01-2009 at 11:28 AM   #30
reeves
Jedi IRL

Liked: 557 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by patelp View Post
I thought that too.

"No doctors can figure this out. Bring 'er to House, he'll have her fixed in an hour!!"