MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman Faked Cancer, Charged with Fraud nerual Volunteering Opportunities 28 08-26-2010 06:26 PM
Go bus fare? jubilantx Automotive & Transportation 4 04-01-2010 10:39 PM
Meal Card Fraud Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-13-2008 03:05 PM
HSR Fare Increase, Jan 1st lorend ARCHIVES 1 12-17-2007 03:08 PM

Go Bus fare fraud?

Old 12-03-2011 at 11:43 PM   #16
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by husayn12 View Post
Had to mention the race of the person in question ...
-rolls eyes-

Next thing we won't be able to say someone has blue eyes for fear of offending them by drawing attention to the lack of melanin.

Last edited by britb : 12-03-2011 at 11:48 PM.

Old 12-03-2011 at 11:49 PM   #17
Ardougne

Liked: 20 Times

just pay the fare.....for people who do this, they do random checks and I've seen one guy get caught on the 47 during one of these checks.
Old 12-03-2011 at 11:56 PM   #18
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by britb View Post
-rolls eyes-

Next thing we won't be able to say someone has blue eyes for fear of offending them by drawing attention to the lack of melanin.
Lol Why did you take out the part of 'Somalian' not being a race ... I was pumped to rebut that :p.

As for your -eye rolling-, I believe my concern was validated. I hardly think that if the person was caucasian the poster would have mentioned that (although this is an assumption I'm pretty sure its a valid one) ... Why should the race of a person in question be added if one is describing their actions. It adds nothing to the post only only serves to enhance stereotypes ... and I am assuming our agreement that in that stereotypes are a bad thing.

Old 12-04-2011
manap3001
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-04-2011 at 01:34 AM   #19
julianface
Elite Member

Liked: 187 Times

Quote:
As for your -eye rolling-, I believe my concern was validated. I hardly think that if the person was caucasian the poster would have mentioned that (although this is an assumption I'm pretty sure its a valid one) ... Why should the race of a person in question be added if one is describing their actions. It adds nothing to the post only only serves to enhance stereotypes ... and I am assuming our agreement that in that stereotypes are a bad thing.
I was gonna say I totally agree, but then I realized that would be unfair. I think it's that people don't mention the perceived race of others if they identify with it themselves. You don't hear a white guy say "there is this white girl..." and you wont see an asian girl say "I saw this asian guy...".

tl;dr the person is not Somali

Last edited by julianface : 12-04-2011 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Afzal has a good point below me...
Old 12-04-2011 at 01:40 AM   #20
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Had to mention the race of the person in question ...
Do you really know the intention of the person in question?

Races are a part of identifying people no matter what you say. Even I'm not for taking races into account for everything, identifying someone by race is NOT racism, nor is pointing out something bad that person did.

If reading something about ONE Somalian guy makes you think that person is racist then perhaps you're the one who is trying very desperately to not be a racist, maybe it's guilt? You'd know better.

This is racism:
"hatred or intolerance of another race or other races."

Nowhere in the post is shown that the OP hates or even dislikes Somalians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw07 View Post
Has anyone ever payed for a shorter distance than they actually travelled? I've noticed the bus drivers don't really check or keep tabs on who gets on and off where.
Paid less at least once, didn't have cash on me, tried searching for an ATM but the bus arrived and the next bus was an hour after. The driver let me on and asked me to get the ticket at the next stop (next stop had a ticket machine). It was the morning of the last day of the last month of the last year.

Last edited by Afzal : 12-04-2011 at 04:12 AM.

AmyLia, Infinity all say thanks to Afzal for this post.

Old 12-04-2011 at 12:43 PM   #21
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post

Races are a part of identifying people no matter what you say. Even I'm not for taking races into account for everything, identifying someone by race is NOT racism, nor is pointing out something bad that person did.

If reading something about ONE Somalian guy makes you think that person is racist then perhaps you're the one who is trying very desperately to not be a racist, maybe it's guilt? You'd know better.

This is racism:
"hatred or intolerance of another race or other races."

Paid less at least once, didn't have cash on me, tried searching for an ATM but the bus arrived and the next bus was an hour after. The driver let me on and asked me to get the ticket at the next stop (next stop had a ticket machine). It was the morning of the last day of the last month of the last year.
Way to start a flame war with the personal attacks.

I never said the intent of the poster was to discredit or bring down Somalians, all I was trying to say was that in my opinion mentioning race does more harm then good ... in fact I see no good coming from it. "If reading something about ONE Somalian guy makes you think that person is racist" ... Clearly you didn't read my post thoroughly ... I never said the poster was racist ... It was you that jumped to that conclusion ... Maybe it's you that harbours racist thoughts (I say this in jest if you can't tell).

Forgive me if I'm cynical enough to think that mentioning a person's race after outlining a (supposedly) criminal act will enhance stereotypes ... clearly there is no historical evidence for this /sarcasm/.

L'Étoile likes this.
Old 12-04-2011 at 06:41 PM   #22

Liked: 0 Times

Don't do it, even if you don't get caught.... Cause what comes around goes around..
Old 12-04-2011
manap3001
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 12-04-2011 at 07:24 PM   #23
dsalvatore

Liked: 67 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by manap3001 View Post
you come from a country where racial discrimination and inbreeding are the norm
...that wasn't racial stereotyping...at all...
Old 12-04-2011 at 08:26 PM   #24
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
he's not exactly cheating the system if he has the correct card...
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Étoile View Post
but both cards let him in for free ... ur story is stupid.
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Have you noticed they change the colour of the stickers every year on the student cards? He has an HSR sticker from 2-3 years ago which you can no longer use. For some odd reason he likes to use that card instead of just showing the proper one. If he can get away with it, more people are likely to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post

I am in no way being racist here. I was just pointing out the character in question. I was hoping someone else might have seen this behaviour. Thanks for your clarification Azfal.

Relax with all the racist rants... if it helps I can rephrase it for you people who are clearly over thinking this.

Last edited by Infinity : 12-04-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-04-2011 at 09:50 PM   #25
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianface View Post
I was gonna say I totally agree, but then I realized that would be unfair. I think it's that people don't mention the perceived race of others if they identify with it themselves. You don't hear a white guy say "there is this white girl..." and you wont see an asian girl say "I saw this asian guy...".

tl;dr the person is not Somali

Not at all true. I'm white, I'd mention if the person was white. It has nothing to do with me. When I'm telling the story, I want to give as much detail as much cause the person I'm talking to may not assume white just because I'm white. We live in a multicultural society, why's it so wrong to mention race?

I'ma put this in here because I know there'll be some smartass who'll feel the need to mention it, but obviously I'm not endorsing that we perpetuate stereotypes based on race and whatnot. Just making a point that it's weird to avoid mentioning people's races when we are in fact from different countries and cultures, despite the fact that we all live in Canada.
Old 12-04-2011 at 11:24 PM   #26
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity View Post
Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Have you noticed they change the colour of the stickers every year on the student cards? He has an HSR sticker from 2-3 years ago which you can no longer use. For some odd reason he likes to use that card instead of just showing the proper one. If he can get away with it, more people are likely to do the same.

I am in no way being racist here. I was just pointing out the character in question. I was hoping someone else might have seen this behaviour. Thanks for your clarification Azfal.

Relax with all the racist rants... if it helps I can rephrase it for you people who are clearly over thinking this.
Thanks for the clarification. My intention was never to call you a racist or claim that your comment was racist, rather just pointing out that it is possible that mentioning the race of the person in question (when it does nothing to enhance your anecdote) may inadvertently perpetuate stereotypes.
Old 12-04-2011 at 11:29 PM   #27
husayn12
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
Not at all true. I'm white, I'd mention if the person was white. It has nothing to do with me. When I'm telling the story, I want to give as much detail as much cause the person I'm talking to may not assume white just because I'm white. We live in a multicultural society, why's it so wrong to mention race?

I'ma put this in here because I know there'll be some smartass who'll feel the need to mention it, but obviously I'm not endorsing that we perpetuate stereotypes based on race and whatnot. Just making a point that it's weird to avoid mentioning people's races when we are in fact from different countries and cultures, despite the fact that we all live in Canada.
I 100% agree that in a perfect world mentioning people's races would not be a problem. My only concern is that in this day and age, mentioning people's races after saying that the person in question created a crime will (probably) enhance stereotypes, and as such maybe we should avoid doing that. Maybe I'm being a cynic ... but hopefully I'm just a realist ...

You see, my concern is stemming from the everyday media. I can for a fact say that when for example a murder happens, if the murderer is Caucasian, the media does not say that a 'white murderer' or a 'Caucasian murderer' committed the crime. However, when the murderer is Muslim for example, too often the head title on new's articles is 'Muslim male murders ...'. What I was just pointing out is that in both cases, the nationality/religious affiliation does nothing to enhance the article, and in much the same way, saying the card holder was Somalian did not enhance the anecdote.
Old 12-04-2011 at 11:44 PM   #28
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

maybe im being sensitive, because while it wasn't racist (definitely wasn't intended that way imo) I think it was uncalled for, the poster could just have easily said "the guy" instead of "the somalian guy", I think it's a problem because it associates sneaky behaviour with somalians.