MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Woman Faked Cancer, Charged with Fraud nerual Volunteering Opportunities 28 08-26-2010 06:26 PM
Go bus fare? jubilantx Automotive & Transportation 4 04-01-2010 10:39 PM
Meal Card Fraud Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 02-13-2008 03:05 PM
HSR Fare Increase, Jan 1st lorend ARCHIVES 1 12-17-2007 03:08 PM

Go Bus fare fraud?

Old 12-05-2011 at 07:35 PM   #46
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

actually, a couple weeks ago I think she said something along the lines of "all physics students are wannabe engineers"(it got deleted) its time we stopped taking her opinions into account.........
Old 12-05-2011 at 08:39 PM   #47
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

I'm not supporting one person or another, but just a little anecdote. When my parents lived in Egypt, it was a common place and accepted practice to bribe people when you wanted things done. Obviously this is not the case in Canada. When they tried the same thing when they first got here, obviously it did not go over well, and they soon learned that things were different in Canada. They are not bad people, nor are they prone to breaking the law - it's just that in their culture, bribery was acceptable.
Now, hypothetically:
Given that, would it make me a bad person if I thought perhaps other Egyptians might do the same thing? I think not, because I know that the country they come from has different views on different practices. I don't think they're bad people for it, nor do I expect it, but I don't think I would be wrong in thinking it was a possibility.

Now pertaining to the original story...it just sounds like he pulls out the wrong card by mistake to me. Sounds like the kind of stupid thing I would do lol.

Afzal, jim1 like this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 09:14 PM   #48
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
actually, a couple weeks ago I think she said something along the lines of "all physics students are wannabe engineers"(it got deleted) its time we stopped taking her opinions into account.........
Aren't they? lol
Old 12-05-2011 at 09:32 PM   #49
AmyLia

Liked: 28 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinthusized View Post
what you suggest here is racist/white supremacist
I apologize that it came across as such. That is not at all what I meant to get across.
I can't edit the post anymore for some reason but again, I do apologize for how I phrased that.

EDIT: See below.

Last edited by AmyLia : 12-05-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-05-2011 at 09:34 PM   #50
AmyLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrant View Post
It's sad that one can't have a sense of humour on here...and that anything said it blown so far out of proportion.
People seem to take everything in the worst possible way.

Plus, last I checked, it's a free country and we're allowed to express our opinions.
Old 12-05-2011 at 09:41 PM   #51
AmyLia

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
I'm not supporting one person or another, but just a little anecdote. When my parents lived in Egypt, it was a common place and accepted practice to bribe people when you wanted things done. Obviously this is not the case in Canada. When they tried the same thing when they first got here, obviously it did not go over well, and they soon learned that things were different in Canada. They are not bad people, nor are they prone to breaking the law - it's just that in their culture, bribery was acceptable.
Now, hypothetically:
Given that, would it make me a bad person if I thought perhaps other Egyptians might do the same thing? I think not, because I know that the country they come from has different views on different practices. I don't think they're bad people for it, nor do I expect it, but I don't think I would be wrong in thinking it was a possibility.

Now pertaining to the original story...it just sounds like he pulls out the wrong card by mistake to me. Sounds like the kind of stupid thing I would do lol.

Thank you for posting this. I too actually come from a country with similar issues (despite being full of white people). And while my "have you seen a Caucasian person try to commit ticket fraud" does seem racist or white supremacist or whatever you wish to call it, it wasn't trying to say that white people are better.
However, those who are sensitive seem to have taken it as such.

Like I said, I'm from a country where bribery and cheating are everyday things. I wasn't trying to suggest that white people are better. I was just giving an example because it is true that in 4 years on the GO bus I haven't seen a white person try to cheat the system. That doesn't mean they don't do other things. I was just sticking with the subject and my personal experience.

To make people feel better: according to the FBI, serial killers are much more likely to be white people. So there, we're mean too. And bigger mean really. But this is irrelevant to the GO bus subject.
Old 12-05-2011 at 09:47 PM   #52
AmyLia

On a different note, and more relative to the original discussion:

In first year I had to get off a stop in between Mac and my home stop (which I won't mention now cause people seem to be gearing up their pitch forks), and I actually didn't even think to purchase two separate tickets for the 2 trips so I used the Mac-home ticket for both and ended up paying twice for the Mac-home trip whenever I had to get off at the middle stop...-_-
Old 12-05-2011 at 10:02 PM   #53
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyLia View Post
I apologize that it came across as such. That is not at all what I meant to get across.
I can't edit the post anymore for some reason but again, I do apologize for how I phrased that.

EDIT: See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
Come on people, it's not rude to say the truth. Some behaviours are prevalent in some places and people sometimes bring that behaviour to other places. That's how cultures evolve. The nature and morality of said behaviour is irrelevant here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfree View Post
Now, hypothetically:

Mostly directed to AmyLia because I find their comments disgusting but relevant to anyone who defends/minimizes/and maintains white supremacy

It's not a question of how your comment came across - you (irrationally) equated white people with purity and innocence and people from "certain groups" as immoral. your previous posts also reek of xenophobia...

Fact is, your comments are irrational; you don't know who is cheating the go bus yet you automatically assumed that there is something inherently wrong about people from "certain countries".. maybe, you see racialized people being caught more because bus drivers unfairly target them? hmm but you didn't consider that. I am not sensitive and your comments not only come off as white supremacist to just me, but they simply are.

ps before you continue... - http://derailingfordummies.c om/

Last edited by sinthusized : 12-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2011 at 10:24 PM   #54
AmyLia

Quote:
Mostly directed to AmyLia because I find their comments disgusting but relevant to anyone who defends this kind of comment.

It's not a question of how your comment came across - you (irrationally) equated white people with purity and innocence and people from "certain groups" as immoral. your previous posts also reek of xenophobia...

Fact is, your comments are irrational; you don't know who is cheating the go bus yet you automatically assumed that there is something inherently wrong about people from "certain countries".. maybe, you see racialized people being caught more because bus drivers unfairly target them? hmm but you didn't consider that. your comments not only come off as white supremacist to just me, but they simply are.

http://derailingfordummies.c om/

Ok, I've tried to explain myself because people were right in pointing out that what I said could definitely be taken much differently than how I meant it but now you're being ridiculous.

Where do you get off putting words in my mouth though? I never once said, nor did my comments imply that white people should be associated with innocence and purity. We're talking about a very specific situation and I related my personal experience in regard to this situation, and this one alone.

Also, your argument about targeting is silly. A great number of bus drivers are not white. Why would you even assume this? Couldn't you go the other way and say that (as an example, and ONLY an example) black drivers target white people?
Think about it and quit putting subtext into what I've said.

As for xenophobia, I may be white as you see me but most of my ancestry is Asian and Arabic. Perhaps my comments would have been taken differently if people realized I'd be dissing my own grandparents by saying "white supremacist" things.

I'll make sure to append my entire life story to all my posts from now on. For some reason, everyone seems to be very sensitive to anything a "white" person says.
On second thought, that won't be necessary because I'm done defending what was initially a fairly innocent observation. If you still choose to see only what you want to see in it, then suit yourself.
Old 12-05-2011 at 10:42 PM   #55
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Thank you for posting this. I too actually come from a country with similar issues (despite being full of white people). And while my "have you seen a Caucasian person try to commit ticket fraud" does seem racist or white supremacist or whatever you wish to call it, it wasn't trying to say that white people are better.
However, those who are sensitive seem to have taken it as such.

Like I said, I'm from a country where bribery and cheating are everyday things. I wasn't trying to suggest that white people are better. I was just giving an example because it is true that in 4 years on the GO bus I haven't seen a white person try to cheat the system. That doesn't mean they don't do other things. I was just sticking with the subject and my personal experience.

To make people feel better: according to the FBI, serial killers are much more likely to be white people. So there, we're mean too. And bigger mean really. But this is irrelevant to the GO bus subject.
wheres that? the united republic of trailer park trash

oh but don't take that offensively, its sad if you can't see the humor in that, and someone just reminded me that Im entitled to my opinion regardless of how many ppl find it offensive. Oh and its okay for me to say that, because I have this one distant relative who's a cracker, we're cool though......

doesn't feel nice does it?
Old 12-05-2011 at 10:43 PM   #56
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Ok, I've tried to explain myself because people were right in pointing out that what I said could definitely be taken much differently than how I meant it but now you're being ridiculous.

Where do you get off putting words in my mouth though? I never once said, nor did my comments imply that white people should be associated with innocence and purity. We're talking about a very specific situation and I related my personal experience in regard to this situation, and this one alone.

Also, your argument about targeting is silly. A great number of bus drivers are not white. Why would you even assume this? Couldn't you go the other way and say that (as an example, and ONLY an example) black drivers target white people?
Think about it and quit putting subtext into what I've said.

As for xenophobia, I may be white as you see me but most of my ancestry is Asian and Arabic. Perhaps my comments would have been taken differently if people realized I'd be dissing my own grandparents by saying "white supremacist" things.

I'll make sure to append my entire life story to all my posts from now on. For some reason, everyone seems to be very sensitive to anything a "white" person says.
On second thought, that won't be necessary because I'm done defending what was initially a fairly innocent observation. If you still choose to see only what you want to see in it, then suit yourself.
you said:
"Have you ever seen a Caucasian person try to get away with ticket fraud?" - what you meant here is white people are innocent and pure- they couldn't possibly try ticket fraud. doesn't matter how you got to that conclusion because that conclusion is white supremacist. later on, you say something about white serial killers but as you said, you only added that to make me feel better or something.

And one does not have to be WHITE to target racialized persons; if the go bus culture involves targeting racialized patrons, (which is plausible because racism does exist in our society), and you are a racialized bus driver, you could also unfairly target racialized patrons. i'm not saying that is the case with GO but it is a rational possibility that you didn't consider.

Anything else i didn't respond to is already covered here http://derailingfordummies.c om/

Last edited by sinthusized : 12-05-2011 at 10:47 PM.

jamescw1234 likes this.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:00 PM   #57
Afzal
Android Dev

Liked: 416 Times

Quote:
Mostly directed to AmyLia because I find their comments disgusting but relevant to anyone who defends/minimizes/and maintains white supremacy

Fact is, your comments are irrational; you don't know who is cheating the go bus yet you automatically assumed that there is something inherently wrong about people from "certain countries".. maybe, you see racialized people being caught more because bus drivers unfairly target them? hmm but you didn't consider that. I am not sensitive and your comments not only come off as white supremacist to just me, but they simply are.

If you're quoting me you better have a damn good reason to do so because nowhere in my post have a rationalized white supremacy.

This thread is already derailed.

I don't want to point fingers and say shit but reaching conclusions about people from a mere handful of posts is quite ridiculous.

@Husayn, see. You just had to point out the fact that race was mentioned in the OP.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:09 PM   #58
sinthusized
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afzal View Post
If you're quoting me you better have a damn good reason to do so because nowhere in my post have a rationalized white supremacy.

This thread is already derailed.

I don't want to point fingers and say shit but reaching conclusions about people from a mere handful of posts is quite ridiculous.

@Husayn, see. You just had to point out the fact that race was mentioned in the OP.
well, your comment about cultural evolution and criminal behaviours, whether intended or not, was construed to support amylia's comment, which is white supremacist. i am not making sweeping conclusions about people and you will notice that i relate to comments/actions.

and yes, the convo is derailed, but the link was specifically in response towards amylia's derailment of the conversation about the white supremacist nature of their comments; derailment is a common phenomena that when underlying notions of such comments are challenged.

Last edited by sinthusized : 12-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:13 PM   #59
crazyfree
Elite Member

Liked: 284 Times

Quote:

Also curious if any of this was directed at me, because I can promise you I wasn't supporting white supremacy lol.

Old 12-05-2011 at 11:17 PM   #60
pinkpiggydoe

Liked: 14 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedchick View Post
bus drivers usually check... but u hardly ever get checked on the train... in my life ive only been checked on the train twice

jus pay the fare to avoid hassle/embarassment

soo.. back to the original topic of this thread....
i actually got checked now 3 times in a row on the train .. and i've been taking the train for 3 years now and before this, only got checked once.., my boyfriend takes the train at rush hour twice a week and he's been checked almost every other time...i wonder if its b/c its holiday season or certain routes?