MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GO Transit ninjamachete First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 09-20-2010 07:34 AM
Using transit REPLEKIA/. First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 09-09-2010 09:31 PM
GO Transit Help goodnews.inc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 09-05-2009 08:33 PM
Transit Help manu General Discussion 4 06-05-2009 01:23 AM
GO Transit ingénieur.xo Automotive & Transportation 14 08-02-2007 08:56 PM

GO Transit ID

Old 08-26-2010 at 07:29 PM   #1
Patrick.O

Liked: 28 Times

GO Transit ID
Hey, I tried to buy a 10-ride student pass for GO Transit today and they wouldn't accept my McMaster ID card, even though it's brand new and has the new HSR sticker on it. I checked the McMaster website and they said that as long as it had the new HSR sticker, you'd be good, but the person at the GO Station said I needed to get a GO photo ID at Union Station in Toronto.

Does anyone know if he's right? Because they wouldn't sell me tickets at all with my McMaster ID card, so that's kinda a problem.

Just letting you guys know that your student ID cards may not work for GO.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:33 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick.O View Post
Hey, I tried to buy a 10-ride student pass for GO Transit today and they wouldn't accept my McMaster ID card, even though it's brand new and has the new HSR sticker on it. I checked the McMaster website and they said that as long as it had the new HSR sticker, you'd be good, but the person at the GO Station said I needed to get a GO photo ID at Union Station in Toronto.

Does anyone know if he's right? Because they wouldn't sell me tickets at all with my McMaster ID card, so that's kinda a problem.

I've never encountered that problem before. Also, when they do ticket checks they look at your McMaster ID card. The last time I got my ticket checked was in July. So you shouldn't have a problem buying the tickets. Did you get the person's name? I would call GO Transit and inquire about it.

On the GO website, it says you have to carry your school-issued ID.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:35 PM   #3
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times

Quote:

I never had to show any ID to get the 10-ride student passes...
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:37 PM   #4
Souldier
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 258 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Luu_ View Post
I never had to show any ID to get the 10-ride student passes...
If you're buying it in The Student Centre, and look like a student, they just assume, but really they're supposed to ask for it everytime.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:42 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souldier View Post
If you're buying it in The Student Centre, and look like a student, they just assume, but really they're supposed to ask for it everytime.
If you take the GO Bus, the driver is also required to ask for your Student ID but they rarely do.
Old 08-26-2010 at 07:53 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

he is referring to the go transit student id. apparently you need to fill some form to get it from your school but others say just ur student card suffices (prob the leniant version). studnet card was enough for me
Maybe they stiffened up on the rules back to normal. if so i guess u gota wait till school starts

Last edited by Leeoku : 08-26-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:08 PM   #7
Patrick.O

Just got off the phone with GO, they said that you have to use their own GO Transit ID to buy tickets and as student ID, they aren't supposed to accept the McMaster Student ID card, so you could theoretically get kicked off a bus/train for using student tickets without one. I have a feeling most people would let you use it and wouldn't kick you off, but it's good to know that it's not actually valid.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:10 PM   #8
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 468 Times

Quote:
Just got off the phone with GO, they said that you have to use their own GO Transit ID to buy tickets and as student ID, they aren't supposed to accept the McMaster Student ID card, so you could theoretically get kicked off a bus/train for using student tickets without one. I have a feeling most people would let you use it and wouldn't kick you off, but it's good to know that it's not actually valid.
Well, whoever you talked to is incorrect, unless they changed things for the 2010-2011 year

http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainability/at_transit.html#gotra nsitid

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:11 PM   #9
Patrick.O

They must have changed it, because the guy at the ticket booth at Burlington station wouldn't let me buy tickets with my card, and he said they changed it recently, as well as the person on the phone at GO confirmed. Sucks though, it'd be much easier to just use the Mac ID. -_-
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:35 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Must have been in the past couple days for the upcoming year. The information that used to be on the GO Transit website isn't there anymore.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:38 PM   #11
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
They must have changed it, because the guy at the ticket booth at Burlington station wouldn't let me buy tickets with my card, and he said they changed it recently, as well as the person on the phone at GO confirmed. Sucks though, it'd be much easier to just use the Mac ID. -_-
Now I'm really confused...I thought they changed it to using your Mac student card. You used to have to apply for the GO transit ID thingy on MUGSI and pick it up at compass, now that option has disappeared and everywhere it says you no longer need one, it's just your student card.

http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/fares/studentid.aspx
Quote:
GO Transit will now accept photo identification cards issued by McMaster University to its full time graduate and undergraduate students.

http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit...#gotra nsitid (this website is confusing, because it first says you can just use your student card, and then it has instructions on how to get the GO transit ID, although that could be for people who don't fall into one of the groups listed)
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:40 PM   #12
cjdzl
G0DFATHER

Liked: 229 Times

so what now? the rules changed?
that sucks ballzz so now we have to get the GO student card if we want discount?
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:42 PM   #13
Patrick.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post
Now I'm really confused...I thought they changed it to using your Mac student card. You used to have to apply for the GO transit ID thingy on MUGSI and pick it up at compass, now that option has disappeared and everywhere it says you no longer need one, it's just your student card.

But note that it doesn't say you can buy tickets or anything with it. The woman on the phone told me they accept your Mac ID card as student ID to get one of their GO ID cards, which you can then use to buy tickets, etc.

Sounds like a pain. But I think you could probably get away with using the McMaster card most of the time, especially if you buy tickets at Mac.

Last edited by jhan523 : 08-26-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-26-2010 at 08:49 PM   #14
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual View Post

http://www.mcmaster.ca/sustainabilit...#gotra nsitid (this website is confusing, because it first says you can just use your student card, and then it has instructions on how to get the GO transit ID, although that could be for people who don't fall into one of the groups listed)
The rules must have changed again. 2 Years ago, you had to apply for a card through MUGSI, last year you could used your McMaster Student Card, but this year it looks like you have to get a student card from GO directly.

Instructions: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...1.html?t=30861

nerual, Patrick.O all say thanks to jhan523 for this post.
Old 08-26-2010 at 10:14 PM   #15
Patrick.O

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
When I called they told me I did indeed need one of their GO Transit Student IDs but I could use my McMaster ID to get it, rather than going to the trouble of getting a letter. Not sure if that's just if you're going to Union station in person though, as that's what I told them I would be doing.