MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
conflict karna Academics 3 08-24-2010 11:47 AM
Didn't make Honours - Scheduling question lawleypop Academics 11 05-31-2010 10:19 PM
What happens if I keep a conflict? Kathy2 Academics 3 09-12-2009 09:35 AM
Purposely Scheduling Conflicts Phouma Academics 1 01-02-2009 11:06 PM
Looking Ahead Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 02-01-2008 10:32 AM

Going ahead with a scheduling conflict?

Old 06-15-2010 at 11:03 AM   #1
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Going ahead with a scheduling conflict?
Hello everyone,

Right now I am at a total loss of what to do. I had finally decided to enroll in Honours Chemistry.
However, I seem to have a huge schedule conflict. I took Physics 1B03 and 1BB3 but not math 1B03 in my first year so I need 8 mandatory courses and two "electives" for year 2. However, I intend to apply to pharmacy school and need one biochemistry and one stat credit so I unfortunately do not have any maneuvering room. My problem is that chem 2LB3 has a core that is in conflict with biochem 2EE3. (There are 3 biochem courses but apparently I only have the prereqs for one for
2EE3). The conflict times are Monday and Wednesday at 11:30-12:30.

I cannot take summer school next year as it does not count towards my required courses so I am in a really tight spot here. I really enjoy chemistry and do not want to switch out of the program.

I cannot seem to remember if SOLAR checks for scheduling conflicts (from what I remember, it does not). I already sent an email to my academic advisor and he says that it is too late to move the course times around. So I sent him another email asking him if I could go ahead with the conflict. I know it is not recommended and I am more than prepared to put in the extra effort to
make sure I do not fall behind in neither of the courses. I made my schedule already and have a good idea of what I have to do (making the schedule was easy since there were only one time slot for 9/10 courses I'm taking).

I was just wondering if any one of you had to go through the same thing? If so, care to pass down your worldly wisdom?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg schedulecon.jpg (47.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:35 AM   #2
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyshi View Post
Hello everyone,

Right now I am at a total loss of what to do. I had finally decided to enroll in Honours Chemistry.
However, I seem to have a huge schedule conflict. I took Physics 1B03 and 1BB3 but not math 1B03 in my first year so I need 8 mandatory courses and two "electives" for year 2. However, I intend to apply to pharmacy school and need one biochemistry and one stat credit so I unfortunately do not have any maneuvering room. My problem is that chem 2LB3 has a core that is in conflict with biochem 2EE3. (There are 3 biochem courses but apparently I only have the prereqs for one for
2EE3). The conflict times are Monday and Wednesday at 11:30-12:30.

I cannot take summer school next year as it does not count towards my required courses so I am in a really tight spot here. I really enjoy chemistry and do not want to switch out of the program.

I cannot seem to remember if SOLAR checks for scheduling conflicts (from what I remember, it does not). I already sent an email to my academic advisor and he says that it is too late to move the course times around. So I sent him another email asking him if I could go ahead with the conflict. I know it is not recommended and I am more than prepared to put in the extra effort to
make sure I do not fall behind in neither of the courses. I made my schedule already and have a good idea of what I have to do (making the schedule was easy since there were only one time slot for 9/10 courses I'm taking).

I was just wondering if any one of you had to go through the same thing? If so, care to pass down your worldly wisdom?

Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.
I believe solar does warn you if there are conflicts, but wont do anything about it (aka - you can still pick the courses). I think its managable, considering for majority (if not all) of my courses, I had to learn on my own anyways so going to lectures was useless. BUT - only problem is if you will have midterms & exams scheduled on the same day. Find out if you will be able to defer one of them, otherwise you will be in trouble.
Old 06-15-2010 at 11:36 AM   #3
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

What pharmacy school are you considering?

For UofT, I just thought you had to maintain a full courseload for a certain number of semesters (ie, 5 courses per term) and if you took 4 courses and one summer school course it wouldn't count--I thought it was just if you took a summer course where they wouldn't receive the marks in time. I can't find anywhere that your required courses must be during the school year and not the summer term. I'm very screwed if this is the case, so could you please show me where exactly you saw it?

Also, I haven't taken 2EE3, but my housemate did, and she said it was pretty much straight memorizing from the lectures--she didn't even buy the textbook. Apparently it's lots of random details, and the prof doesn't put pictures in his notes (although if you have a healthsci friend they can get the full notes off of learnlink for you). If you have a friend in the class that you can get the notes from, you should be fine. Or, you could get the notes from 2LB3 off of someone, but I generally find lab course lectures to be useful/important I haven't taken 2LB3 though, so it might be different for that course.

An alternative is waiting until after 3rd year to apply for pharmacy, which would possibly give you more room to take the required courses.
Old 06-15-2010 at 12:00 PM   #4
amyshi

Liked: 19 Times

Yup it's u of t. And you're right, you don't need a full course load for every year, just at least 1 year. The problem for summer school is that it takes me 3 hours to get to mac and 3 more hours to get back. So that's 6 hours of traveling time for 3 hours of lecture. If I decide to take summer school next year, the marks won't be in in time.

At the beginning of the school year I'll talk to the profs and ask them about attendance, especially the lab course because it's on the same days as my labs so I cannot catch up in time :S. Good thing it's in second term so I have a feel for the importance of the lectures.
I will try my best to become best friends with someone from both classes .

Edit: thanks for the replies, I feel more confident now. For some reason I always thought that scheduling conflicts would be the end of the world.